I'm contemplating buying a year long subscription to wordtracker and I'd like some feedback on if it's worth it. I went for the one day thing and it looks interesting. It also looks like it takes time to figure out how to use all the tools. I'm currently only interested in tracking a few keywords and I got the competition search done for those words and e-mailed them to myself. I guess my question is, do keywords change often enough that I should be looking at the wordtracker results on a regular basis or would building pages for the current words and variations (phrases) be enough? This is for my buyultram.com site in my sig (it still needs a ton of work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img])

Thanks,
    Brian

FWIW:

If you're only going to track a couple of keywords, then you may be wasting your cash, especially if you're going to use highly targetted keywords.

It's actually quite useful to some extent, but we found that we weren't getting what we thought we should be getting and dropped it.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    In contrast, I can hardly imagine working without WordTracker!

Why don't you just purchase a one month subscribtion.
    I love it and can't imagine living without it.

Same here... subscribe!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree, it's great! I just renewed my sub for a year!

ABW Ambassador
    I'm smiling; Leader originally subscribed through my link so I got a commission! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (WordTracker pays repeat commish on repeat orders.)

There's a link in my pay-per-click search engines article if anyone's interested.

Elisabeth Archambault

I've used the WordTracker free trial quite a bit. What does the paid version offer?

For just a few keywords you can do the work by hand, I'd think. And you can buy even less time on Wordtracker than a month.

I've bought a month at a time twice... time for a full year's worth. I love it.

Thanks all for the replies. I will eventually go for the annual thing. I'm just a bit too much in debt right now to justify 200+ bucks. I guess I'm also a bit afraid to take the first real steps toward making a living online. I realize you have to spend money to make money, I just don't want to elevate this "hobby" too high then fall on my face.

Brian

If you read Ken Evoy's Affiliate Master email course, it basically walks you through manually figuring out profitable keywords.

I don't agree with his "great content sells" philosophy, though it works for him.

However, you can use the method for sales pages using the Overture suggestion tool (http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear.../suggestion/), the free Wordtracker, and oggling google or your favorite engine.

I wasn't sure that Wordtracker would pay for itself, and thus used the month long option. I made a bunch of pages and kept a list for myself, having optimized using Overture Suggestion tool and the free wordtracker and looking at google by eyeball. Then signed up for a month and went back over the keywords of all the pages and optimized a little more.

Now I am totally convinced that an annual subscription is worth it and will pay for itself.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "I've used the WordTracker free trial quite a bit. What does the paid version offer?~Spongebo"

It's been awhile since I used the trial version, but as I recall:

You don't get as many keywords back with the trial version. With some categories, you are really missing out (really popular categories will easily return 300 words per variant. Like if your main word is clothes, you can get 300 terms with "clothes" in them, then 300 with "clothing" in them, etc.). I think the free version only shows 50 words.

You can only check your words against little SchmaltaVista with the free version. With the paid version, you can predict for the big Kahuna (Google), or a bunch of other engines. It can be quite helpful to see this breakdown--the results are quite a bit different for an engine like Google or MSN where people are actually searching! The less-trafficked engines can give some really weird results because a lot of terms will show 0 searches. These same terms may get 200 searches/day on Google!

Also the paid version will pull up the bids for the terms in question on Over, FindWhat, and a couple of other PPCs. So you can tell at a glance whether it's worth bidding, instead of having to manually look up every bid at the engine. Although I have to admit that I usually use WT to optimize for Free engines, since I almost always bid 2c at PPCs.

You can also have multiple "projects" going with the paid version. This is good if you're considering a lot of merchants--you can switch between the projects and compare the "opportunity value".

One fairly cheap way to see for yourself what the paid version can do, is to sign up for the smallest paid period. I think it's either 3 days or 1 week. It's 5.95 Pounds, I think that's about 8 bucks USD. (Yes, that IS really steep compared to their longer options!)

Thanks, Leader.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread