Can someone tell me if Yahoo will automatically reject a site for commercial submission (and there goes my $299) if it does not have enough traffic? Is that one of the criteria? Does anyone know the criteria? I think I'm too chicken to risk that $299.....

Yahoo! doesn't care about how much traffic your site gets. They really have no way of determining that anyway (accurately). As I understand it, they are looking for quality content that is not already available in their directory. If your site is somewhat professional looking with valuable information that Yahoo! believes would benefit their visitors then you should be approved.

I'm sure others will add comments.

Brian

ABW Ambassador
    Madmanbc - Is absolutely right. The purpose of submitting to yahoo is to obtain traffic - they wouldn't care about how much traffic your already getting. What they do care about is - QUALITY Content and Unique Content. If your site is a banner or link farm - forget it. Don't waste your time. I submit to yahoo 2-3 times a month. So I know what they look for. All of my sites have been submitted.

Maria,

No, traffic is not a criteria ... content is the criteria. Does your site offer something that is worthwhile to Yahoo searchers? I think helping them find bargains is worthwhile, don't you? But, before you go plopping down $299, I would try a non-commercial submission first.

When I submitted, I found a non-Business category to apply to. I didn't like the idea of parting with $299. They listed me in the Business section from that submission, even though I never paid a dime.

I used the instructions at selfpromotion.com as guidelines for submitting. It also took me three tries to get in for free.

Tracy

okay, I'm afraid to ask...would you consider my site a "link farm" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    First, you may want to make it so all the text cells are not on top of each other when seen on a 640*480 monitor...(Browser: IE5)

Also seeing the same thing with it resized at 800*600...and at 1024*768!??

:confused:

Changing the text size either way didn't help...

I don't know what does that but as long as it DOES do that, it's probably better to save your money, I believe they do check for cross-system/browser compatibility!

I think some people can probably see it okay. Unless you're getting a 0% CR, at which point I would say they can't see it! But it should look nice on all major systems and I do believe IE5 is common enough that it should have showed right at ONE of the screen sizes...

As for the site being a link farm, (I didn't look long because it really looks like there's 2 layers of text which is very hard to read), I do notice that you say "read the great reviews"--but I get the impression (from being at this business for a bit) that the "reviews" are not really on your site.

Confirmed it, the "great reviews" that I am supposed to read are at Amazon for the item I clicked for (Video Buddy...).

I would expect Yahoo may have a problem with that (and eat your money). The reviews should be on your site--the "content-lover" directories want YOUR site to offer something to their viewers, instead of sending them on to a merchant site. In other words, give Yahoo a reason to not just send their viewers directly to Amazon and skip you.

As a disclaimer I will admit that I'm not in Yahoo myself. I'm not in there because I am not willing to add non-sales "content" to my revenue sites, and I'm not going to risk $299 on trying to get my blatantly sales-oriented affiliate sites into a content-lover directory.

But I've read enough about getting in Yahoo that I think my general pointers are accurate... for sure I would say to fix how the site displays! And you may want some kind of spin talking about what your site does at least...so it doesn't just look like a collection of things you'd like to make commissions off of, instead of a "valuable service"!

Just to clarify an issue.

Sometimes traffic is the content of a site.

Example: message boards and auctions.

Yahoo will not list an auction site unless there is enough items listed and being sold.

I should know [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] but at least it was only $199 at that time.

I haven't browsed thru any sites at yahoo in a while but the last time I looked and searched thru quite lot of sites,I seen more than just they few looked bad.When I say bad I mean ugly (not nothing like their guidelines would indicate should be there)and if anybody knows a ugly site it would be me because mine looks like a hog's butt sewed up in a grapevine to be honest with you.

I've seen that too smont.

Not only that but irrelevant and stupid sites seem to get on there as well.

Check this one out! http://members.tripod.com/~yahwhat/index.html

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Heyder ]

Unless you're site is a duplicate or REALLY bad looking, you will be fine - and believe me, it has to be bad. $299 a year has really made them less picky [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

How much less picky??
    Have affiliate-link only sites with minimal (if any) content ever got a chance at Yahoo, even if they look really nice!?

That's what I'm talking about Heyder!
    I think I'll try his advice and to think the open directory said I had no content.

Yahoo! Sacrament will work better using the appropriate candle and incense combinations.

Also, recommend personal purification prior to the sacrament.

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

ABW Ambassador
    My link farm was accepted with no problem back in November. The amount of traffic I've been getting from Yahoo itself is not worth $300/year, though. A $300 lifetime investment, yes, over time, but not $300/year. That might be different if Google was acknowledging my inbound links, as a Yahoo listing supposedly boosts Google rankings. I can't comment on that aspect yet. Maybe once Google is "seeing" my links again I'll figure Yahoo is better value, but at the moment I'm kinda iffy about it.

Elisabeth Archambault

Just a thought, but when I rule the web affiliate link only, content-free sites and link farms will be the first to be wiped off all available hard drives. What a waste of a click-through......

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>but when I rule the web affiliate link only, content-free sites and link farms will be the first to be wiped off all available hard drives.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>lol... new around these parts?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Oh well, TOO BAD Paul, because when I rule the web, all the waste-of-bandwidth content sites which contribute NOTHING to the economy, will be erased from all available hard drives!!!

The cheap MOOCHER-LEECH "surfers" can PAY for the efforts of others, like they should have been all along!!!

And all moocher merchants can PAY MEGA PRICES for branding like THEY should have been all along instead of leeching off of bandwidth-wasting content sites!

And EVERY SINGLE SALE will give an affiliate a MEGA COMMISSION!

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread