ABW Ambassador
    When checking density, what is optimal % ??

thx

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That depends on the engine, according to Web Position Gold.

It's been so long since I had that software active, that I forgot the %ages, which are mentioned either by the software itself or the accompanying documentation/help files/etc.

What I usually do now is look at the top 5 or so sites in the engine I'm interested in, and then just count how many times the keyword appears for pages similar in amount of text to mine (no %ages--just, "1,2,3,4,5..."). Granted, if the top sites are a lot different in layout, etc. then mine (like if they have a lot of graphics or Flash) then I'm out of luck and have to guess!

How much keyword density matters depends on the engine, but they ALL seem to count it at least a bit.

Sorry I don't know the exact %ages any more but HTH!

keyworddensity.com may give you some kind of idea, but I doubt it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img], it's worth a look though, jimtools.com has a keyword density analyzer, although it works about as good as the other, it can give you some ideas about your page.

ABW Ambassador
    thanks Leader and qball..I have tried the keyword analyzers I just wasn't sure what % to shoot for on my pages. I've tried analyzing the top 5 in a category but it seems inconsistant at best. ??

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The inconsistency (presuming you're looking at Google) is because keywords are just one of the factors that Google uses. If you look at ANY single factor on Google there seems to be plenty of inconsistency... a "whole picture" approach there is usually a lot better.

But if you look at Inktomi listings it should be fairly linear--at least it is in the categories I have listings in (with a few exceptions. The exceptions make no sense of course, [sarcasm]after all, what would a SE be without a few unfathomable results?[/sarcasm]). Remember that meta tags do count at Inktomi, too, unlike at Google.

Also remember that a lot of engines show directory listings above Ink's so if it's not clearly marked somehow, you may see a lot of weird-looking results at the break between the dir. listings and the Ink listings.

I haven't examined other engines, but most of the big ones that I know of are either pulling results from Google or Inktomi anyway (along with a few PPC results but PPC rankings are determined by amount bid), when they're not using directory listings. As for the directory listings themselves, I have no idea. I wouldn't figure it would matter too much when a human is determining what goes where...

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also remember that a lot of engines show directory listings above Ink's so if it's not clearly marked somehow, you may see a lot of weird-looking results at the break between the dir. listings and the Ink listings.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is probably the case. Ink is what I have been focusing on as I seem to be able to get to the #1 listing on page 2 but no further up in ranking...hmmph :confused:

ABW Ambassador
    For MSN, do a search and take a look at where the "WEB PAGES" section starts -- that's the section you can get to the top of with an Inktomi listing.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Cedric...going to check now.

Hi,

I have the GRSoftware Search Engine Optimizer
    and the Generic Search Engine states:

"In order for your page to score high in the rankings, you'll need to use your keyword phrase in the tags and body text of the page. Try to have a keyword density for the visible body text of between 3 and 4%. "

Googles:
    "Try to have a keyword density for the visible body text of around 2-3%"

Hotbot/Inktomi: (wishy/washy)
    "HB seems to prefer an overall keyword density for the visible body text of less than 2%. Try to get your keyword density close to this value for maximum effectiveness. However, your BEST bet when considering keyword density is to see what the keyword weight is for top ranking sites for your keyword phrase in this engine, then adjust your keyword weight accordingly."

Anne [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread