I was thinking about joining a banner exchange and would like to know what kind of experience you all got with this? Is it worh joining? What should I do to make people click on my banner?

I'm looking for as much targeted exchange as possible (ART related) and use 88x31 buttons.

Please suggest me good banner exchange services if you know any.

Thanks

We've only tried linkexchange.com It wasn't worth much in the beginning because we didn't have enough traffic and couldn't get enough banner exposures. It's a 2:1 exchange, but I think some are 1:1. Now, though, we get about 75,000 exposures a month and about a 1% click-thru rate (maybe a little less). I think volume is the key. LE lets you target your banner and their stats reports aren't too bad. Like I said, though, it's the only one we've tried.

I used LinkExchange for years, and I was pretty happy with the traffic I was getting from them. Then it occurred to me that I was showing a banner on my site that was taking my visitors away from my sponsors, and giving them to someone else.

I would have to give display 200 banners to get 100 banner displays, which would get me one visitor. Approximately.

When I removed their banners my traffic decreased slightly, but my income increased.

Now I'm careful not to give away traffic I could be selling.

Was that confusing? It makes sense to me.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: missdonna ]

Oops. Think first, then write. I didn't have to give away 200 visitors, just 200 displays. But the bottom line is the same. Traffic decreased. earnings increased.

So now I edited the above post, and I find I can't delete this one.

Hmmm. Trying to make things simpler doesn't always work.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: missdonna ]

Likewise, I don't have many click throughs from banners, I tried bpath and have about 5 clickthroughs in 2000 impressions!

I tried linkwars and it's awful they want you to change your homepage, and most of the pages it serve are MLM and hit farms.

Now I'm trying bannersxchange and I have 5 CT's in 1047 impressions.... the only drawback with these people is that they want their banner above the fold which doesn't work for me!

I'm thinking that people are bored of banners. Rather like the way people are tired of popup ad's... How many of us run popup killing programs now!

Good Luck All!

akoss

C4,

Many banner programs are a waste ... I am working overtime to make sure that ours ( http://www.abestweb.com/be ) is built correctly and I will be recruiting some serious traffic sites into it in the next 2-3 weeks ... some have had a great experience ... http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/bptop10.cgi but as your site is a highly specialized site I'd expect a lower CTR.

Haiko

I have recently started a banner exchange as well for a client, here is the url: http://www.espressoonline.com/bannerexchange

I'm doing it mainly as a promotional tool for espresso online members and distributors. The key to it, I'm marketing that section by itself as well as the other sections to draw in targeted espresso only traffic. This in turn is indirectly marketing those that are in the banner exchange. I do have standard "rates" for outsiders as well as a free option in case they don't want to spend any money. But the bottom line, it's set up to bring in targeted traffic only, not raw hits from obscure web sites.

In general, I don't recommend placing banners anywhere "affiliate programs to the side", but if you are on a major budget and just starting out, anything you can do will help. And if you are nice to me and happen to be just starting out in the espresso biz, I'll keep it 100% for you guys that are interested, hehe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Something like this falls along the same line as payper click search engines "only recommended if you have zero presense on the web" I'm not requiring anybody to place any code on their pages, so the traffic is only comming one way.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread