Ok we all know the sad state of affairs. Namely, that google left a lot of us holding the bag because of our linking methods. I am wondering would it not be easier to simply mirror the sites on slightly different domains that got the penalty and start over with a nice fresh set of links?

If you do that, you would want to pull down the old one. Legend has it that if you have two sites with identical or nearly identical content Google will drop one for sure and probably both.

ABW Ambassador
    Malibear - I'm thinking of doing that myself. I actually already created 5 new similar sites. They are not identical but somewhat the same as the ones being ouced by google. Don't link it to the messed up sites of course. I did that too not knowing and that site is now messed up as well.

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to exclude googlebot from those sites I don’t want it to spider anymore? Can this be done with the meta tags? I want to only exclude googlebot from these sites because the sites in question are already in the other engines. The mirrors are going to be there just for Mr. Googlebot and won’t include cross-links.

Jada, my removal of cross-links on my biggest site should be in the new index at the end of this month. I am very curious to see how this changes page rank. In the last index I went from a 0 to a 2, which didn’t give me any practical benefit, but it was nice to see it go up a bit. The only change in the cross links picked up in the last index was the removal of a top site link that all of my smaller sites participated in which should have made my overall linking pattern a little less circular. As Chuck suggested, I wrote Google and explained my historical rank with this site, links to my extensive non-sales content on the site, and I explained excluding it from the index was costing me money because my affiliates were turning up in a search for the proper site name while I wasn’t. I don’t know if it did any good, but I haven’t even got so much as a form letter back yet and it has been two weeks which is unusual.

malibber,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Can anyone tell me the easiest way to exclude googlebot from those sites I don’t want it to spider anymore? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By the robots.rxt file, disallow the robot to scan see http://www.robogen.com

Haiko

Three of our sites are mirrors of each other. They've been up for two years, and we've never had a problem. I keep expecting one or two or all of them to be banned, but so far, we've been okay.

And now that I've said that, we probably WILL be banned. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>malibber
    Can anyone tell me the easiest way to exclude googlebot from those sites I don’t want it to spider anymore? Can this be done with the meta tags? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

User-agent: googlebot

Disallow: certainfilesIdontwantindexed.php
    Disallow: /this/
    Disallow: /that/
    Disallow: /thistoo/
    Disallow: /morestuff/

ABW Ambassador
    Malibber - I emailed google too. But no response.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread