With the other search engines I am listed with, my page description comes out fine, probably because they use inktomi, dmoz, etc but on google my page description is the following: (paraphrased)

Javascript is disabled on this page. This page may display improperly....

Seems like that would discourage people from clicking the link. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

What have I done wrong that needs to be corrected? Looking at other links, it does not seem to be a common problem.

Javascript is not disabled on my page. My meta tags appear to be in order. This isn't manipulation, I am assuming there is a code error or something on my index page.

You're probably wondering why I did not notice this before. The answer is I didn't know about quite a few important things concerning search engines 'till I started coming to ABW.

Oh and if this is in the wrong forum, sorry. Seems like traffic building. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Planetwide Exodus,

Always try to have the java called via an external .js file or stuck down at the end of the page so that the bots will not read/report the script as your description, this will solve your problem [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Haiko

There are only 2 things I can think of that might possibly cause this.

A. Do you have Javascript before any text on your page? Google likes to use the first paragraph it runs across as the description. It's kind of like when you use frames and google spiders the index page. If you don't have any more content on your index page between the {noframes} tags it will show "this page uses frames but your browser does not support them."

B. Do you have any code on your page that checks to see if Javascript is enabled? It may be spitting this out to Google?

That is about all I can come up with. Good Luck!

Core

Darn you Haiko! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And I thought I typed fast...

Core

Core,

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

And my answer was better, so [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] (J/K)

Haiko

Thanks for the quick answers Haiko and Core! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

This is great advice but leads me to the same problem I seem to run into more and more. I am using Homestead which only lets you use their page editor. Neat little turn-key program but versatility is zero.

It won't allow me to alter the javascript. I guess this is yet another reason to add to the list of why I should move my site.

It seemed to be a good idea at the time... I should have realized it was too easy and that is usually bad. Nice customer service doesn't outweigh profit loss.

Thanks

oh and yes, the javascript is right at the top of the page, directly under the /HEAD
    nothing in between. And yes the code is set up to check to see if javascript is enabled on the viewers browser. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

At least it was free... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Maybe you can just use it for your ppc stuff. Though I don't know if I would buy from a page on homestead. No offense. I haven't seen your site. I just trust root domain names like buythisstuff.com.

You can find some decent web hosting for cheap these days. I would go that route if you want to really start to get into affiliate marketing. It has done wonders for me.

Core

no, no I agree...

Homestead started a business part to their hosting. I have my own domain name etc. I'm grandfathered at a lower rate and all that. Another reason I'm hesitant to drop them.

I think I won't rush into things and consider mirroring on another host or starting another site altogether and keeping this one as a back up or alternative. And spend some time wishing for the good ol' days when HTML was the primary language... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Hmm, thats another thing... I better check to make sure I am the actual owner of my domain name on Who Is because they registered it for me...

Oh and for anyone reading this who is interested, you can't get free pages through Homestead anymore... I think even the personal pages are something like $6/month now.

Now I think I have turned this thread into a definate mis-forumed thread... Sorry... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Google likes to use the first paragraph it runs across as the description. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> This is not quite accurate. To create its descriptions Google uses the first chunk of text it finds that contains a word or words from the search query. This will often be in the first paragraph, but not necessarily.

A page's description may vary depending on the search, because Google pulls snippets to match the words in the search. If the search words are separated on the page, it will likely use more than one snippet. To get a feel for this, try searching for one of your pages several different ways, and observe how the descriptions vary for each query.

If you're careful about the words that surround your major keywords (especially the first occurrence), you can tweak the descriptions that appear for a page's most important searches. Sometimes changing or moving just a word or two can make the difference between a description that is informative and inviting, and one that makes you wonder who spilled the alphabet soup!

There, now you have one more thing to get obsessive about ...

Elisabeth Archambault

Well, google is nice so far to me but is still jumping around a bit.

Somehow the descriptions in my links there are no longer picking up the javascript. One of the links picked up my keywords, but that will work. I've done nothing to fix this particular problems so it must be on their end.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread