ABW Ambassador
    These are still the ads that show at the right of the screen -- right?

ABW Ambassador
    Cedric,

Yup, But this is CPC ... As opposed to CPM ... Which can be costly.

I like this new program [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Dave

ABW Ambassador
    harrumph -- going to be a bit dicey going, though. I picked a new product line that I'm promoting (not yet in google), checked it in google (no ads currently showing -- wooohooo!) and went to create an ad.

They do have minimum bids (based on calculations from previous adwords campaigns) -- minimum for my new venture? $0.43

bzzzzt. WRONG ANSWER!

This will take some diddling and only with proven performers.

i like it but i wonder how long it will take for them to ban affiliate sites

i dont mean to sound bitter and i feel a bit out on my own but abuse bothers me, show affiliates an example of a money page and it will be xeroxed, tell an affiliate that they can make money from ppc engines and they will abuse it, anybody want to take a bet on when the first affiliate website that consists of a banner and a redirect will show up?

ABW Ambassador
    Cedric,

Dang!! :eek: I just glanced through the Faq.

I thought it would be a nickle a click if no one else was there. Your right ... You have to find some obscure search terms for proven preformers for this one to be a winner.

I jumped the gun ... Maybe I don't like it THAT much [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Dave

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Further you shall not submit Advertisements where you are an affiliate partner to the web site targeted in such Advertisement, and you do not provide content at such web site that is substantially reflective of the Target(s) being used through the AdWords Select Program.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sounds to me like they're already skittish about affiliates.

no one likes us

maybe they do like us, they want to stop us wasting our dollars, no one looks at those ads to the right

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I just went in and set up a little campaign, and I'm very favorably impressed with the system even though the terms I really wanted were too expensive. Google's approach to relevance is simple and elegant: if an ad gets a better than average percentage of clickthroughs for a certain term, presumably because it is relevant and well-written, it will be shown more often (even if others are bidding higher!). If an ad goes for too long without enough clickthroughs, (0.5%) they'll simply quit showing it for that term because it's not connecting well enough with the searchers. Wow, the audience gets to decide if an ad is relevant, not some air-headed editor!

The minimums for various terms are set by what people are already paying for them through the existing AdWords program. If there are terms you'd like to bid on but they're too expensive right now, it's likely worth keeping an eye on them because those minimums might fluctuate if some of the advertisers move from CPM to CPC accounts.

As always, you'd need to be very careful about knowing your average value per visitor so the amount you pay to acquire new traffic will still leave some money in your pocket.

Elisabeth Archambault

The old AdWords program was working quite well for us, thank you. Having taken a look, though, it looks like the CPC model will cost about the same or a little less. I just wish people would stop changing things!!

I still have my campaigns running with the original Adwords program. Google hasn't notified me that the program is ending. Where on earth are they going to place these new advertisements??

They are intermingled with the current adwords. Google is apparently just converting CPM/CTR and CPC/CTR into each other and ranking them accordingly on the right hand side.

In reality, it's all smoke and mirrors. A fine-tuned campaign with either will lead you to exactly the same place. The cost will even be the same.

It is a good marketing ploy though. And if you think "CPC" better than you think "CPM" (which most advertisers do), then the new program will "feel" better. But if you think "cost of sales/profit" and do the numbers on each, you will see that it is just an illusion. It's just a different route to the same place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>no one looks at those ads to the right<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do. I even click them if it's relevent enough.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> no one looks at those ads to the right<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, I had a higher click-through rate with those ads than any banner, ever.

They didn't convert, but they clicked.

Yeah it looks like AdWords Select runs alongside standard AdWords.

Basically, it takes the uncertainty out of the whole thing, and if I can find some goo bidding terms I'll probably use it. Bottom line is the the best rate of clicks at the old Adwords cost me 20 cents, the worst $2, and I can get the clicks much, much cheaper from PPC.

This looks like it could be a *real* traffic driver though!

ABW Ambassador
    Be sure to look before you leap.

My experience with Google traffic, pulled from their "pure" search results, was that the value of a Google visitor was only a fraction of the value of a visitor from the other major search engines. Those Google visitors just didn't like to spend.

Maybe the spenders hit the Ad Words ... I don't have any data on visitors from the Ad Words to comment on them.

As for Google's warnings to affiliates, it does look like they don't like us from the start. I understand that Overture is flushing affiliates from their ranks big time.

So where's the voice of our networks? Are they doing anything about this bias against affiliates? If all the search engines kick us out, or don't allow us to be indexed/registered in the first place, the networks will be out of business along with us. I hope the networks will be our voice to be heard at the search engines. So far, it looks like the networks have their head buried in the sand in regard to growing search engine biases against affiliates.

Looking very interesting on my Norwegian keywords. All search phrases are $0.05 and there is no competition. The keywords looks to be in some demand too. (At least by Norwegian standards)

This is for a content site, with 1.5-2% convertion ratio on all daily traffic.

With the profit margin on the product I sell, I can easily afford it if the c/r is as good or better. My guess is it will be better, since I control the landing page. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm going in. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

One thing I noticed. There is a site which has paid for an ad - a new site, never seen them before. Ok, cool - now they are listed for that ad and also at the top listing for that specific keyword.

But then I type in the name of my page - they come up first and I am third! We are selling similar things - both "themed" to these kinds of products. I know they paid for an ad but durn, every keyword they are in the top position. (no ads on those pages) Come on. I should have had top billing for my own page name, which does not come close to theirs. I did check and it is not because of keyword denisity. So it looks like they got top slot for that "theme" for one ad.

Sorry to rant but this is frustrating!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Question for those of you using the new service....how do they bill?? Do you prepay, do they charge your cc once a week/month??

I read through the FAQ, but I didn't see a clear cut answer.

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: MsMarySunshine ]

Google Adword Billing:
    NOTE: I decided to copy/paste Google's
    FAQ posting instead of my original confusing
    answer. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    -----------
    When does Google bill my credit card?
    When you first open your account, Google gives you a credit limit so you can start generating clickthroughs before you pay anything. Google will not bill you until 30 days after your campaign begins, unless you reach your credit limit sooner. If you reach your credit limit before the end of the 30 days, Google will bill your credit card. You will also see the charge for your initial $5 activation fee at the time of your first billing.

Your Google credit limit is set automatically at $50 when you sign up for the program. You will not be billed until you have earned $50 worth of clicks, or after the first 30 days.

If you reach your Google credit limit within the first 30 days, you will be billed for your credit limit of $50, plus any amount over that limit. Then, Google will raise your limit to $200 and again, will not charge your credit card until you earn $200 worth of clicks or until the end of the next 30 days.

If you reach your $200 limit, Google will bill you and raise your limit to $350. If you reach that limit, Google will bill you and raise your limit to $500. $500 is the maximum credit limit.

This means that if you never exceed the $250 limit, you'll never be extended the $350 and $500 credit limits, and you'll only be billed every 30 days until your specified campaign spending limit is reached. Google has found that using credit limits for billing purposes is very helpful because it allows customers to keep careful track of how quickly their money is being spent on ad campaigns.
    ----------------

Kind of confusing, wish they set it up
    where We add the money like most ppclick
    se's, when we want re-fund the account.

Anne :rolleyes:

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: gettnthar ]

ABW Ambassador
    thanks for the info.

I wish we could fund it also. It would also be nice to know when they will charge the cc each month...., still may give it a whirl.

ABW Ambassador
    I must say after the first day...I'm impressed with the conversions I've had. Of course I've just listed the one site Google hasn't allowed back into its index yet and it always converted really well from Google traffic - which is why it is such a bummer to still have 0 PR.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread