Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I know that some of you have done the Inktomi express inclusion thing. Paying to get listed faster... I did it and was wondering how long it took before your domain gets circulated to the search engines? I went through Verisign and is shows my "status" as indexed.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.- Jada - I sent you a PM [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Core

the main user of inktomi is aol.com and they update about once a week.

If you do a search on inktomi at... http://169.207.238.189/search/search.pl

you will see they are the same as the aol results. I do not know why aol does not use dmoz anymore but .... I'm happy they stopped.

Via Ink I get 10% MSN and 1.5% AOL. I just moved 2/3rd of the files to a new domain around a week ago, maybe it takes AOL longer to show the results? I'm always swapping files round too.

I'm using Positiontech to get listed.

I

We submitted a new site on 2/13 and it showed up in AOL, MSN and Hotbot on 2/14.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've had it take from 2-4 days for the listings to propagate...

ABW Ambassador
    If you pay Inktomi for a listing do you pick just on specific keyword phrase?

Doesn't it cost like $200?

Is it worth it to all of you?

Thanks in advance! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] breeze

"If you pay Inktomi for a listing do you pick just on specific keyword phrase?"

Nope! Not really like a PPC at all--it's actually a lot like a Free SE, only if you pay your page WILL be in there, somewhere. OPTIMIZATION determines where that "somewhere" is, both in terms of keywords/phrases, and in terms of ranking.

"Doesn't it cost like $200?"

Eeeekk!!! No! $25 per page. (Yahoo's is $299/year--maybe you were thinking of them?)

"Is it worth it to all of you?"

I don't know about the others, but it's worth it to me. Unsuccessful pages can be switched for different URLs (within the same domain) or tweaked for better rank, your choice. Which to do depends on the situation. If a page looks like a total dog (if it's ranked well but still makes peanuts, for instance) sometimes it's better to have them list a totally different one!

One of the cooler things is the 48-hour refresh--no waiting 4-6 weeks for the Google update. That's great for things you want to cram up quick, like special sales, along with merchants/products that you just think are exciting! It's also nice for holiday stuff (any holiday), because after the holiday you can switch the URL. Plus you don't have to make the page way in advance in order to get into Ink.

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    Leader,

Do you meen the second page and there after for $25?

I see $39 at Inktomi for the first site listed.

Dave

Yeah, you got it.

You can switch domains round too if you do it within a month. I have three 'sites' listed under one account and you pay $39 only for the very first page.

I find I need to nurse these listings quite a lot. The optimisation is very different to that I use for google. Sometimes a page does well for two weeks then ceases to perform so I have to keep an eye on them.

I don't know why it is - I thought because of the quick turnaround time, maybe this index is more volatile. Or maybe I haven't got the hang of it yet.

I

ABW Ambassador
    What ranks highest in inktomi?

Keywords in title, Meta's, content? And in what order of importance?

Anyone have the key?

Thanks,
    Dave

The big INK is a deal-deal. For $39 for the first site and $25 for any other sites you actually get listed in the main FREE search engines.

Today that in itself is a minor miracle.

Whether you try to optimize or not - you aren't going anywhere without a listing in the biggie engines.

And look at it this way - for $39 it's costing you a tad over 10 cents per day for a GUARANTEED listing on AOL, MSN and Hotbot,
    plus BendOver. If you get just 10 visitors per day on average it's costing you 1 cent per visitor.

If you optimize and/or use a phrase domain for a major searched keyword you can get 100 plus per day.

If you make $5 per month commission from INK
    traffic you earn $60/year for a $39 investment - a 65% return on your money.
    Beat that in any mutual fund today.

ABW Ambassador
    I know that Inktomi's listings come up on MSN after the Web Sponsor listings and Web Directory listings. The Web Sponsor listings are from Overture. Where do the MSN Web Directory listings come from? Thanks.

Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Kip,

Looksmart ... At least mine do [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dave

Thanks for the info everyone!

The site I submitted is now in all of the major search engines which are populated by the Inktomi directory. I was able to snag a couple of decent places for keywords. I still have a lot to learn and will be trying new things.

I submitted another site yesterday so I will let you know how it works out. I found some really good keywords for that one! (fingers crossed).

Core

Dave,

I forgot all about that $39 for the first URL. Shows how many I've listed since my first one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Plus I listed my first one before they went to $39 anyway.

As for what counts more, I don't have The Key yet...I make sure my keyphrase is in all those places so no matter where on the page they're looking it's there somewhere!

Icicle's right, it does take more tweaking to keep the pages on top. I haven't noticed a significant dropoff after 2 weeks in most cases, but they can fall quite far in a month...(note: "significant" is in the eye of the beholder! I call it "significant" when I can see the difference in my Revenue!)

ABW Ambassador
    Core I think I missed the boat - but I sent you a PM. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

There's one more benefit to Inktomi. As has been pointed out you can keep tweaking your pages and having them refreshed every few days until they have a high ranking. And the extra benefit is that a high ranking on Inktomi will usuallymean a fairly high ranking on Google and some of the other SE's.

I think I found out what I did wrong. With Google I can target a lot of longer phrases that are similar.

Ink engines do not like this at all. You know how if you drop a stone into the Pacific and it takes 15 minutes to sink to the bottom? What happened when I got dropped was faster than that - it just that it took two weeks for the engines to decide they didn't like me any more.

My domain got completely ignored. Aparently it will be 'forgiven' in due course but no - one knows how long this takes.

I had to set up new domains (under the same account) and move my pages over after reducing keyword density.

So now I have a Google site and some Ink sites and life is getting complicated.

I

Any way to still get into Inktomi for free?

Hi Ssanf,

I got one of my sites in for free before all this Paid Inclusion nonsense thru HotBot: http://hotbot.lycos.com/addurl.asp

I also think there is (or was) a better way to get into Inktomi for free at Canada.com as recommended by some SEO, but I couldn't even open the homepage there anymore?? :confused:

Cheers,
    TianTian

They still spider. You'll end up in Inktomi eventually anyway because their spider will find you while following a link on some other site. That is unless you are a complete hermit or intranet site or something.

We had a site in MSN, highly ranked, and it disappeared last month. So we bought an URL in Inktomi hoping to get back in. We did, but our rankings are not nearly what they were, despite teaking and refreshes. Would a copy of WebPositionGold help us learn how to tweak for the Inktomi engines?

Probably, yeah. Its what got me into Google (I optimized for AV for free then made the page a bit longer) alongside reciprocal links.

Don't use the thingy for checking your placement though. Google hates it.

I reckon its worth setting up a seperate Ink site. Though Ink, to me, is a royal pain in the @ass. The instant a page hits profitability its spam.

Its not that I haven't got the hang of it yet. Oh no.

If you find out what keyword density Ink and its Unholy Cohorts approves of, do let me know.

My strategy now is to only have a few pages on seperate domains for Ink. If one domain falls from grace, there are others.

I swear I spend more time nursing Ink listings than even Crapalong City dreams of. WPG might well help.

I

Icicle, thanks. I guess we should make the investment in WPG.

Don't do it on my say so alone :/ I might just not not what I'm doing.

What you could do is design you pages around what WPG says during the free version for any engine, but keep the keyword density down. You can always increase it, and someone else might find the answer in the meantime. You won't get a bad listing anyway.

I think with Ink its important to go for the most popular keyword you can get - seeing as it costs money to list the pages.

With Google you can prat around more.

I like longer search terms personally. This is probably why I'm having difficulty with Ink. I like lots of exact phrase matches.

I

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast