Hi,

I was wondering if any of the dmoz editiors here wouls be so kind as to check the status of my site submission nscavenger.com ? Is it denied, pending.etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    john

Hi John,

No, I'm no ODP editor, but I just wanted to let you know I was having difficulties getting your search engine to work. I entered something, clicked "go", and out popped a window, and then it was "cannot find server". :confused:

Cheers,
    TianTian

Thanks for the message!

Im getting a connection timed out! :mad:

I don't know whats up. I'll have to email the people who serve up the results.

ABW Ambassador
    site is still in Unreviewed

I think the server serving the search results was down for a while. Seems to be back up now though so it wasn't too long.

Thanks Dynamoo and Adam for checking up on that for me. I owe you's one.

Could someone please confirm that the search results are back up at www.nScavenger.com?

BTW, What kind of 'qualifications' do you need to be a dmoz editor? Or rather, what qualification would you say u had to be a dmoz editor

ABW Ambassador
    Check out the categories that interest you. If they need an editor in that category, there will be a Become an Editor link at the top of the page. Click on that link, then fill out the application.

The application asks why you are interested in the subject matter, what your business affiliation with the category is and then you have to provide 2 or 3 URL's that you think should be included in the category.

Your application is then reviewed and they send you an e-mail to let you know whether you've been accepted or not.

If you're interested in it, it's worth doing. Definitely an eye opener for what editors look for, etc. If you are just doing it to get your site in, I would say it's not worth it. Their system isn't complicated, but it does take a bit of time and effort to get the hang of it.

Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-24-2002: Message edited by: Kip ]

John,

Yep, no problems with the SE now. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    TianTian

Kip:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you're interested in it, it's worth doing. Definitely an eye opener for what editors look for, etc. If you are just doing it to get your site in, I would say it's not worth it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely, you're not really helping anybody if you apply to be a cat editor and then don't do anything, but being an editor gives you a useful inside track. Frankly, the only people who can keep tabs on how an entry is doing is another editor, so it's a big plus.

Also, if you find a little corner of the ODP to nurture, it's a good learning experience, both in terms of content and what works well in terms of design. You'll look at sites much more critically, and for any web master a bit of critical self-reviewing can work wonders.

One thing though, ODP culture is very strict and if you try to abuse the system you WILL get found out. Also, ODP isn't great on communication. Another thing - your first category is easy to get, your second is much harder, as you'll have to get a decent number of high-quality additions to your chosen category, which can be very difficult for a small cat.

Another 2 cents worth - Zeal is a much better editing experience than the ODP, although you are limited to noncommercial cats. Zeal feeds directly into LookSmart, so it's quite widely used. ODP is even more widely used though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread