Can someone explain what they mean by cross-linking and the effects you think it might have had on your Google rankings/listings?

You beat me to it seaslug.. I've never really gone in for search engine optimisation myself, but I do have some link partners.. so.. umm.. I agree with seaslug - what do you actually mean by crosslinking in a Google context (Crosslinking 101 we're looking for!)

ABW Ambassador
    In a nutshell -

Google ranks sites based partly on link popularity (how many sites have links to your site).

So it stands to reason that if you have multiple sites, and you place links to your sites on your other sites (cross-linking), that that would enhance your link popularity in the eyes of Google.

But Google is wise to this, and gets pissed if you step over some imaginary line drawn in the sand somewhere. In that case Google will ignore all incoming links (even the ones from sites you do not own), giving you a Page Rank =0 penalty, and your listings will drop thousands of spots.

Another thing it does is play games with you - Google will make you think everything is ok with your linking for awhile, but really it is gathering data on you and when it has enough then Google slams you unexpectedly.

jimbo2002,

You sound like you have issues with google too.

I'll tell you one thing for sure. If you notice google doing an extremely high amount of googling on your multiple linked sites you can know it's time to forget your google listing as it will be pulled within a few days. :eek:

ABW Ambassador
    You might find this thread helpful. It's from another board where I sometimes hang out.
    http://www.ihelpyouservices.com/forums/t2069/s.html

Elisabeth Archambault

I would advise not to cross-link at all anymore. I cannot seem to escape the Google basement. In fact, I am going to start the process of hopping domains for my flagship site. I am really starting to get mad. I was signing up for Google’s new CPC service and I did a keyword search for my proper site name and sure enough they are selling it for $.37 a click. If it were not for my site the search phrase in question would have no value.

ABW Ambassador
    I have to agree with Malibber's warning against cross-linking. My main site was in Google for 4 productive years. Two months after cross-linking, it is now buried somewhere underneath thousands and thousands of other listings.

Hmmm.. maybe this explains something. Poozleanimus has quite a large directory attached.. some of the listed sites link back to Poozleanimus.

The directory is just ODP data with some product links, but it's quite popular and is one of the very few things of value on the site.. so we're saying that the presence of the directory may harm the Google rankings?

Let me ask a stupid question.I assume when you talk cross linking you mean their are all
    your own sites? Maybe 20 or 30 or ever how many you got but different domains or whatever. What i want to ask is how would a SE robot know that the same person owned all the sites?

ABW Ambassador
    My site is basically a directory with some content pages grafted on, and after two months in the Google wilderness some of my pages have regained top-five rankings for an assortment of terms. I'm not sure what made Google decide to like my pages again, but clearly having a directory that contains some reciprocal links in it is not fatal in and of itself.

I'm wondering if an issue here is the matter of proportion, rather than any one particular "misdeed". For example, many sites have lots of link popularity besides links within or between their own sites. But for other sites, the *only* link pop they've got is what they created themselves, with internal links or link exchanges. I'm wondering if it's something about the ratio between what kinds of links you have that triggers the filters.

If I'm right, then the mouldy old advice about working to develop more quality inbound links could be important to help shift the balance, and it's worth doing for lots of reasons besides Google anyway.

That is something I worked on, and I'm back in Google's good graces, but I have no idea if there's any cause and effect relationships there.

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    smont,

The robot could check who domain owner is or other databases to see if the sites are all one person. But it would be easy to fool it by registering each site differently, so I am assuming that it is not relying on that.

I don't think it matters if the sites are all one person, because they warn against using schemes to get incoming links (not just links from your own site) and artificially raising your popularity rank

My guess is that it looks for certain typical patterns (typical of sites it wants to penalize).

Also, maybe there are certain keywords, that if you target them, that sets a flag, and alerts Google's penalty bot to start examining you.

I am going to NEED to link my sites together. If I link to a redirect page on one of my domains that goes to another one of my sites, how will that effect google?

Okay, even after reading the thread in that other forum, I'm not convinced.

There are different cross linking schemes.
    1) Each page is linked to every other page of a couple of domains.
    2) A page is linked to a page on a different site which links back to a different page on the first site. (Typical of link exchanges where the link is put on a "link page" and the recip link goes to the main index page of the site).
    3) Variations thereof.

Numero Uno seems to be the one being called "dangerous". I'm still not convinced.

I don't think the issue with google is strictly cross-linking, but more in the way you do it. Their new filters seemed to catch out people with a small number of sites (1-10) that mirrored their cross links with each other - e.g. each site cross linked to the other sites in the group without fail, and there were little to no other inbound links.

The larger players who have 50 plus sites or cross links were seemingly unaffected during this process. From what I can see, by having more sites and links, you can form links with no definitive pattern to them (e.g. Site A links to Site B but there is no reciprocal link. Site G however links to Site A).

This is the pattern I have seen from my own sites where I lost 3 out of approx 90. I've also viewed many other players (including some from this board) that have a huge cross linking structure in place and remained in the index.

I'm sure that Google will continue to try and eliminate cross linking practices and affiliate sites in general, but for now it's just a matter of how you play the game IMO.

Regards,
    TK

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread