ODP listings... say goodbye to AOL, your number one traffic source.

I don't know how I missed this news from the beginning of the month. Since AOL owns Netscape, it's only a matter of time before Netscape drops the ODP too.

Suddenly, obtaining ODP listings does'nt seem so important...

AOL Replaces ODP with INKTOMI

ABW Ambassador
    Exellent news for those of us with Inktomi listing!

Link to me Inktomi! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] :eek:

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Awwww (NOT), that's what they get for being prejudiced against affiliates!!

ABW Ambassador
    AOL just poured the gasoline. Anybody got a match?

Mike [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The only reason why sites like Google use the ODP index is because it's FREE. However, you've gotta think that DMOZ has an annual budget well over six figures. AOL was putting their money behind the project because it was the easiest way to build an updated, relevant directory (editors are volunteers). Still, the cost of the servers and maintaining the network will be evaluated by the Time Warner number crunchers. If it no longer makes economic sense to find the project they might pull the plug!!

Don't forget that AOL Time Warner *own* DMOZ and it provides the directory for all the AOLTW empire, including Netscape.

The Intomki news is fairly old hat anyway, and they basically offer an AltaVista-type index rather than a Yahoo-type directory.

Actually I can probably identify more Google directory entries than AOL ones, and always have, but sometimes deducing the exact traffic source is difficult.

Umm.. it sounds like I'm being upbeat about ODP's future, and I am to the extent that I don't think the AOL/Intomki deal will make any difference. ODP does have lots of issues though that it needs to resolve if it is to prosper, not least the unfriendliness to submitters and the patchy editing.

Remember though, being listed in ODP is a great way of increasing your Google rating because the data is so widely used. And, in one of life's little ironies, a good Google ranking helps a lot at Yahoo too.

I'd say if you want to pick a directory in decline, that would be Yahoo at $299 per year for a listing. Looksmart is doing OK out of it's relationship with Zeal. I guess ODP is holding even, but it still needs to make changes to prosper.

ABW Ambassador
    >I'd say if you want to pick a directory in decline, that would be Yahoo at $299 per year for a listing.

A Yahoo! listing can make ya that much in a day!

Pay to Play
    This is 2002

At first I thought the yahoo yearly fee was pretty unfair but when you come to think about it if you can recoup that fee through profits (and still make more $$$) then it may not be too bad. I havent used yahoo for about a year and a half but a lot (and I mean a lot) still do and I still hear reports about websites getting good traffic from yahoo.

At least they still accept free submissions, just ask Fish.

By the way, is yahoo affiliate friendly?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread