ABW Ambassador
    Recently, my online coupon site was booted from the odp directory. For that matter I have had three sites, overall, not make it in the directory. These sites consist mostly of affiliate links, and according to the submission policy at ODP, this is a "no, no".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Don't submit sites consisting largely of affiliate links<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wtf does ODP call ebates.com??????????!!!!!

I call it sucking up to big companies. The Commission Junction top performer that found its way to the front page, spotlighted as a web publisher, whose site consists of mostly cpa/affiliate links/ads has found it's way into the dmoz listing? wtf? this is so messed up... I have the same content at my site that ebates has - advertisements!

Realizing that you don't have a whole lot of control over this matter, maybe you can help make sense out of this for me. Thanks.

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

ABW Ambassador
    Chuck , I know I'm not mailibber, but I "was" an ODP editor at one time, and I felt like commenting, hope that's okay with you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>wtf does ODP call ebates.com??????????!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know ebates is entirely affiliate links, but you do see the value to consumers don't you ? Not only a well organized shopping directory, but it provides coupons and a cash back rebate program.

Do you HONESTLY think they DO NOT deserve a DMOZ listing ?

I know you are frustrated, it isn't easy for people like us, but the only thing we can aim for, in order to gain the same type of respect, is to provide some additional content, or extended service, that has some real substance to the consumers.

I may not be making much, and I may not even be trying too hard to do it, but every day I learn something new , come up with new ideas and gain new insights, and one day, I will put it all together , and let that bird fly !

Hopefully, it's wings will be are strong enough to fly a good long flight .

Lisa

ABW Ambassador
    oh, there are other "all affiliate sites" there, too... happened on one when I was checking available competition for a particular product... it's an all affiliate site just like mine (no big name) and it's in ODP...

I guessed it belonged to one of the editors.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I know ebates is entirely affiliate links, but you do see the value to consumers don't you ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So even their TOS is subject to interpretation by the editors?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do you HONESTLY think they DO NOT deserve a DMOZ listing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lisa,

I don't have much of an opinion to ebates, as much as I do with the double standard of the ODP. I have no problems with ebates - more power to 'em. I just don't have an appreciation for the apparent double standard of the academics/intellectuals of the web, which seems to be prevalent with directories/search services. I realize that ODP doesnt make any money from their listings, or so they say, but I do believe that they (the powers that be) are heavily swayed and influenced by big companies, and the likes of Google. But, no, I don't have anything against ebates. They have a well done professional site and service.

I am just a lowly bottom line editor over there. I don’t make policy or the rules. I was told for a site to be included in the coupons category it needs to have as Lisa said “added value”. I see added value as product reviews, discussion forums, and so on. Sales spin is not added value for purposes of this category. I would have preferred the old category stay as it were and even a new shopping directory category be created, but as I said I don’t make policy or the rules over there. I am defiantly not anti-affiliate. Maybe you should consider Big Chuck’s Discussion forum?

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread