[QUOTELaunched in January of 1994, Galaxy was the first Internet directory and search engine on the Internet. ][/QUOTE]

I just read this on's "add a site" tab. That's a bold claim by them. Anyone know if it is really true? Also, they just joined the bandwagon with asking for money just to consider a listing for their search engine. Three plans from $5 to $100, depending how quickly you want them to look at your site for consideration.

Anyone ever even heard of Galaxy? Takes balls to ask for money to add a url to their index unless they have the "big league "traffic to go along with the "big league" demands.

Can't say for sure but I do remember Galaxy from way back.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it's the "directory" part that allows them to say "first"... before 1994 there was gopher and there was archie, but they were search tools, not directories.

Yahoo! was also in 1994 (I believe), but probably later than the January Galaxy claim. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

They may well have been first... but they sure haven't made good use of their time.

[edited to add the following]

Oops, just found a couple of "internet history" sources that say Lycos came on the scene in 1993. (And confirmed, Yahoo! was 1994, but later than January).

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

I paid their fee to get into the directory about 1 year ago and never received one hit. I thought it might help with the pr in google but I do not even see their directory listed in my backwards links from google. Pretty much a dead end resource.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread