a listing on the "Web Sites" portion of Yahoo? My site is consistently #1 on the "Web Pages" portion for my keywords, but I am not listed on the "Sites" page. Do people generally stop there or go on to the "Pages" section?

ABW Ambassador
    This is the first month I've had a bunch (for me anyway) of keywords ranked highly in Google which means on Yahoo's Web Pages pages. These listings haven't helped very much. I've gotten some traffic from it, but not nearly as much as I had hoped for based on WordTracker. If you can get on the Web Sites page then I'd say you're much, much better off.

HTH,
    Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I only have one site listed in Yahoo, and these figures wouldn't necessarily apply to anything else, but broadly the referrerals are:

Google (all varieties except Yahoo) 33%
    Google/Yahoo search matches 22%
    Yahoo directory 9%

The Yahoo listing isn't as big a draw as I would have thought, but results will vary depending on category, keywords etc etc.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Some Google facts:
    "There are many low cost ways to market your service or product both on the Web. All require tiresome manual research and constant attention. However, as a fellow entrepreneur, I can assure you that they will eventually pay off if you do it right. The search engines are a wonderful resource. One of the newer, more advanced, very accurate and rapidly growing is Google. Google's proprietary PageRank© system is used to determine how relevant your site is. We have uncovered some of what makes Google tick.

First, to view your site's PageRank©, simply download the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, and visit your sites home page. Ironically, while we researched Google we stumbled upon the formula by conducting a search in Google.

The original* PageRank formula: PR(A) = (1-d) + d (PR(T1)/C(T1) + ... + PR(Tn)/C(Tn))

For math wizards:
    PR(x) is the PageRank of x, C(x) is the number of outbound links on a page x, d is a damping factor set between 0 and 1 and is controlled by Google.

For the rest of us:
    Your site's PageRank is almost completely dependent upon links to your site, backward or reverse links, reduced, to some degree, by the total number of links to other sites on that page. A link to your site will have the highest amount of impact on your PageRank if:

1) The page linking to yours has a high PageRank.
    2) The total number of links on that page is low, ideally, just the one link to your site. A site with a high PageRank and a large number of outbound links can nullify the impact on your PageRank.

To increase your PageRank, simply get as many links to your site from pages with a high PageRank and a low number of total links. Theoretically you can obtain a PageRank of 100% . You can also increase your PageRank by attaining many links to your site, no matter what their PageRank, as long as they are ranked. This is a good overall strategy since it will help you across the board.

Another contributing factor to your site's Google ranking is the IR score. This score relates the relevance of the search query to the actual text in the linking page and your site. One of IR factors is the anchor text, or the text in the link to your page. According to a Google's creator, "Anchors often provide more accurate descriptions of web pages." Thus, for sites that allow you to add URLs be sure to put a link title with descriptive keywords. Google also uses your page title, font sizes, formatting, keyword positions, and proximity. Remember this though: Computers determine the search results, but it's humans that will, or won't, click on the links, so be sure titles with keywords make sense.

In Summary:
    Whether it is Google, other search engines or pay-per-clicks, the meticulous selection of key-phrases, and descriptions utilizing these key-phrases, are crucial to successful Web marketing campaigns. The final piece, probably the most important to determine ROI, is a tracking system to inform marketing personnel if the clicks being generated with any campaign result in sales. There are many campaign variables that even though you produced a 5% click-through rate, might still not result in sales.

* The formula was located by co-author Pete Freitag. This was the original formula and it has likely evolved since the Google founders were at Stanford. But the same premise holds that your importance is dependent strongly upon what others say about you via how they link to you. It is, in my opinion, quite ingenious, and Google is one of the most important tools utilized by my staff for many purposes. "

This is all great information, but it doesn't answer my original question:

How important is it to be on the "Web Sites" section of Yahoo versus the "Web Pages" section?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd say it depends on the category/keywords.

If your listing is buried under a bunch of Web Site listings, it's not going to do you much good to have a Web Page listing. # A zillion is # a zillion no matter what they call it...

On the other hand, if there aren't any directory listings your "Web Page" listing will show up right under the PPC listings just like a Web Site listing would. Those are golden!

I would say that being in the directory and therefore getting a Web Site listing is only important if that's the only way to get a decent ranking. As for the viewers going from Site to Page listings, I doubt that many viewers care about it one way or the other. Either what they want is on the page they're on, or they have to click something to look further. The amount that look further should be the same no matter what Yahoo calls the results.

I have lots of Web Page listings and their value varies by how many directory (Web Site) listings there are. In general there is less traffic from there than plain Google, probably because Yahoo always shows a batch of PPC listings above the other listings. These PPC listings get the benefit of the #1 spot along with a few other prime ranks (I forgot just how many PPC listings they show now), which dilutes the value of Yahoo for directory and Google-powered listings.

ABW Ambassador
    Webmaster Mike, it's absolutely tacky when you post someone else's material without giving them full and proper credit. Where are your manners? (to say nothing of your respect for copyright???)

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread