Hey Everyone,

Seams to be a lot of negative posts about catalogs.com affiliate program, I just thought I would post this so those here on abw can make a well informed decision about the program if there thinking about joining.

I have been an affiliate now for about 6 or 7 months. I have spend probabily around 30 hours total with the program creating a site to promote catalogs.com.

This site generates lots of visitors which I of course send to catalogs.com ... the program converts well for me at around 8 - 10%. Each and every month I recieve my check from catalogs.com ... I have not been below $1,000 for quite some time, heck making it too a grand a month was really pretty easy.

There has been some talk about using the word "free" when promoting the program. Well I use this word all the time on my pages and it causes me no problems. Heck I even have the word "free" in my domain name.

Catalogs.com has made some changes of late to improve there bottom line and is being more selective with approving affiliates. This program seams to draw in people who have "freebie" type sites ... bottom line from what i have learned is that these sites do not convert for catlaogs.com .... of course this is really no supprise. Most people on these types of sites really are just killing time surfing for "free stuff".

If you are looking for a good program to join, that can produce anywhere from $500 and up per month you might want to check out this program.

Marifer, the AM has always responded to my emails, made calls to my home and helped me when I needed it. I have had 0 programs with her or the catalogs.com affiliate program.

Just thought you guys here should hear the other side of the story about this program.

By the way, if anyone here would like to work with me when working this program they have a second tier and I would love to help out anyone ... it can be real fun ;-)

Just send me a sticky mail and I will send you my reff url.

Cheers,

Brian Johnson
    Seek and you shall find

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, an affiliate that has "free" as part of their domain name, and continues to use outdated creatives with references to "free" ...is somehow different than other affiliates that have "free" as part of their domain name, and use outdated creatives.

You can't argue with that. Catalogs.com should be getting more floods of freebie based sites just like yourself soon.

Hey Kelly,

I am not going to get into a shit throwing contest with you. Catalogs.com is looking for affiliates who can drive traffic that converts, bottom line.... conversion. I convert anywhere from 8 - 10% of my visitor base I send to catalogs.com.

I simply wanted to express that this program works for me and was an easy $1500 monthly for me. I am sure there are others here that could do the same ;-)

Chef Brian

Brian Johnson
    Seek and you shall find

ABW Ambassador
    Wow Chef, $1500 from catalogs? They pay $0.55 per lead. Must be a great lot of visitors for youon a conversion rate of 8-10%.
    Anyhow, I had no freebesite, and no "free" into my sitename but they ended affiliation without giving me a reason ( it is their right to do so ) or telling me anything about the changes they intended to do or they have done. Perhaps this treatment of affiliates is usual for catalogs.com, and if so, I only can say: leave them there are a lot of catalog sites which also convert well or better.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    Well, we've got Marifer in another thread now saying that the mention of "FREE" is actually not off limits .

So, it does boil down to who gets "SALES" for catalogs.com and who don't.

My counter promo/proposal is if you actively produce sales for catalogs.com, you could make much more money by affiliation with those catalog merchants directly.

Why take the 55 cents for producing a sale, when you can get $5.00 for that average $100 sale by direct affiliation?

Stop throwing away 27,000 visitors each month to make a measely $1500.

ABW Ambassador
    I do a hell of a lot better than $1,500 from 27,000 visitors by promoting the affiliate programs instead of sending my visitors to the catalogs.com site.
    I do not have exact figures, but I do know that I get more than $1,500 per 27,000 visitors, or even per 10,000 visitors for some of my programs.

I just do not see why anyone would send traffic to catalogs.com when they can make a lot more by promoting the same exact companies that catalogs.com have on their own site.
    How do you think catalogs.com make their money? By making more than the 55 cents they pay their affiliates. If they can do it, why can't their affiliates?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    I don't mess with catalog merchants, would never send my traffic to the competition, doesn't make much sense. Quick look likes about half have affiliate programs. I guess depends on what type of site you have and if you have a need for one of those merchants that don't have an affiliate program. Not for me tho.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

Hey Guys,

Again, I do not have the details of the problems you guys have had in the past with Marifer or the catalogs.com program.

That being said I ALWAYS look for niche markets (search engine markets that is) catalogs.com is NOT about people looking to buy stuff.

For me that is not what this program is about, it is about sending people that are searching for "catalogs" to catalogs.com

I also promote clothing lines, prescription drugs, art, music and participate in several pay per lead programs. I would never send someone to catalogs.com that is looking to buy clothing, art or whatever. But, if someone searched for "clothing catalogs" on google don't you think you would make more money off that kind of visitor by sending them to catalogs.com where they can get a "free clothing catalog" instead of sending them to some storefront site where you get paid only when your visitor buys something?

Carneol:

You mentioned the 55 cents per catalog ... forget that! I use the inhouse program and earn 55 - 75 cents per catalog sent out. This month I was at the 65 cent level around the 5th or 6th of the month and was at 75 cents per by mid month.

Cjshoppingnetwork:

I bet your targeting keywords that are again much different than mine. I also do much better than 1500 month with other programs as well ;-)

This month I will pass the 5 k mark at Cj myself ;-) and LOVE my prescription medication checks that arrive twice monthly.... again it is about sending the right visitors to the right programs.

So you guys say I could make more money with other programs? List a programs that you feel I could do better with and I will check them out forsure!

;-)

Cheers,

Brian Johnson
    Seek and you shall find

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    catalogs.com is NOT about people looking to buy stuff.

Catalogs.com is ALL about people looking to buy stuff ...and you should re-think why companies spend big money printing catalogs.

People looking for catalogs are among the most valuable forms of traffic you could ever hope to acquire. They are the people that buy the merchandise shown within such forms of advertisement.

Catalogs.com depends on such a fact that people buy and often times right online before their catalog arrives in the mail.

Send them the people you talk about that aren't into buying, and you'll soon see your e-mail notice of termination.

Seach Engine Optimization:

1. A person searches for a given keyphrase at your favorite search engine.

2. You create a web page to rank well for that keyphrase.

3. The person searching for that one keyphrase find your webpage listed and clicks your link = one free visitor.

4. You visitor finds "just what there looking for" on your page and then takes action in the form of a sale, lead or what ever and you get paid ;-)

So infact if a person searches for "clothing catalog" Kelly ... would you try to sell that person clothing or send them to a site where they can get a clothing catalog and you make money.

Also, remember I spent about 30 hours on my site. I look at things like this:

How long will I have to work on a website to earn "x" amount of money.

So far my income with catalogs.com is around 6 grand for less than a weeks work ;-)

cool

Cheers,

Brian Johnson
    Seek and you shall find

ABW Ambassador
    I understand what you are stating. However, if you are making so much money sending people to catalogs.com, why are you stating such a fact? Why not keep it to your self and earn the money? If there are a lot of people looking for catalogs, then it might be a good sector to investigate. I will look into it.

Because I like helping people ...

Kinda sad the people I am trying to help are .... well lets just say less than willing to listen with open ears.

Cheers,

Brian Johnson
    Seek and you shall find

I gotta agree with cjshoppingnetwork, if it's such a great money maker, you really shouldn't be advertising this to what amounts to your competitors...

If they're looking for a clothing catalog, it seems to me you could provide one right there on your very own site, where they could browse through and make a purchase and be done with it.

Andy

I think what Brian is doing is standing up for a merchant which is what sometimes needs to be done. I have mixed feelings regarding Catalogs.com right now because of their actions.

Last month I made over $300 via CJ with Catalogs.com and had a conversion rate of 12.4%. I also happen to use the term "free catalogs" because "that is the truth". I sure hope I don't get cancelled because of the use of the term "free". The majority of my visiors are looking for specific catalogs and not freebies (ex. - clothing or fishing catalogs) by the way.

I had applied a while back for Catalogs.com's in-house program but have yet to hear anything regarding that matter. I hope that isn't a bad sign.

Now - let me say this. I don't agree with what is being done. Canceling affiliates is always a rather stupid idea (unless they break the rules). Canceling affiliates for promoting "free catalogs" when that is how the merchant told you to promote the affiliate program is pretty damn silly when you think about it. If a Catalogs.com affiliate gets cancelled - will they still receive 2nd tier affiliate commissions? That's a good ethical question to consider as well - I hope the answer is the right one.

I hope Catalogs.com reconsiders but it appears the damage has already been done.

Larry Wentz

AffiliateNetwork.org newWebsite.com (Host 200 Domains - $29/Month)

Wentzco:
    I have explained this several time and here we go again:
    I terminated people this month for 2 reasons:
    1. Inactive affiliates who had not send any traffic to Catalogs.com in about 6 months.
    2. Websites that were categorized as "Freebies".

Now there is a difference between "www.orderthisfreestuffsoIcangetpaid.com" and "www.mymommyscraftideas.com" and have a banner that says "order free catalogs". The difference is quality of users!

Now if I am the webmaster of "www.mymommyscraftideas.com" and want to promote what I belive is of great value to my members and get paid for it, I would like to use banners, text links that convert.

Now, I am not an unreasonable person. If you were terminated and you think:
    a. you were sending me traffic
    b. and you are not a freebie site

Why don't you contact me personally and show me how you plan to promote Catalogs.com????? Why don't you send me an IM telling me of other sites you have??? Why don't you and I work a plan to help you achieve a good paycheck from us??? I don't bite...

Larry: I don't belive I have an application from you, could you please apply again????

Marifer Vergara
    Affiliate Manager
    Catalogs.com
    The #1 Source for FREE Catalogs!!
    http://affiliates.catalogs.com
    AOL: Marifer006
    MSN: NanaVergara
    Yahoo: maria_maria_s
    eMail: Marifer@catalogs.com
    Tel: 954-659-9005

ABW Ambassador
    If I operated a freebie site, I would promote catalogs.com as the catalogs are free. You have the term 'free catalog' on your site.

If I was to join your affiliate program, I would send you traffic so I could be paid. That is the whole point of affiliate marketing.

So you are removing freebie affiliate sites, even though you offer free catalogs.
    So what you are saying is that a visitor from a freebie site is worth less than a visitor from a non freebie site, even though you offer free catalogs.

I'm a little surprised at the tones of the posts here directed at Chef Brian.

Brian does enjoy helping other succeed and we have shared many emails off the boards.

Believe me, there is enough to go around and if somebody says they are doing great with a certain program you can either jump into the program as well or apply that knowledge to a different program.

quote:
    Originally posted by cjshoppingnetwork:
    If I operated a freebie site, I would promote catalogs.com as the catalogs are free. You have the term 'free catalog' on your site.

If I was to join your affiliate program, I would send you traffic so I could be paid. That is the whole point of affiliate marketing.

So you are removing freebie affiliate sites, even though you offer free catalogs.
    So what you are saying is that a visitor from a freebie site is worth less than a visitor from a non freebie site, even though you offer free catalogs.

http://www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

The decision to move away from freebie sites was made by the senior management of Catalogs.com. It was out of my hand.

Marifer Vergara
    Affiliate Manager
    Catalogs.com
    The #1 Source for FREE Catalogs!!
    http://affiliates.catalogs.com
    AOL: Marifer006
    MSN: NanaVergara
    Yahoo: maria_maria_s
    eMail: Marifer@catalogs.com
    Tel: 954-659-9005

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Chef Brian wrote:

I would never send someone to catalogs.com that is looking to buy clothing, art or whatever.

The way catalogs.com makes money is when people buy. So continue sending those people that don't buy and then expect catalogs.com to afford to continue paying you NOT.

There is a problem with freebie sites in that people find them most of time searching for "free stuff", whatever. Visitors come in looking for whatever they can for free, see catalogs being offered and think "what the heck I'll get a few catalogs too".

If the visitor searched specifically "free catalogs", you can't say those people aren't looking to buy something. Lots of times they are.

So anyway, continue your promotion here so others that "would never send someone to catalogs.com that is looking to buy clothing, art or whatever" will join and insure the program's difficulties maintaining desirable profit levels.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread