Hi all,

Would any of you care to share your experiences of popup exchanges. I was going to buy some traffic from expired domains and thought i might as well try to get some extra exposure. I would only want popup exchanges which either popup on exit, or onyl popup once during the visitors stay.

Anyone know any good popup exchanges which have learnt the fine art of tracking?

John

Is it really worth the effort? One of the more continuous and popular threads I see at the boards I go to is which popup killer is best.

Just my two cents worth but before I got a pop up killer program all that sites with pop ups did was tick me off. I would never go back to them and certainly NEVER click on the pop ups.

To me (and many others) pop ups are a waste of time that I wouldn't even consider.

True enough, I suppose. But I too am sick of the x10 popups and as a result don't view any.

Great, one idiot broke the web for the rest of us [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Also there' s difference between being the popup ad and hosting the popup ad. If people despise popups and close them right away they won't even see your ad and therefore won't hold a grudge agains you because they won't know who you are.

On the other hand if you're the one hosting the ad you're the one who needs to worry about how your visitor feels.

ok

Im convinced.

No popups for me.

This was actually a point i was thinking about. I was wondering if the annoyance the popups would be compensated for by extra visiotrs. I guess not.

thanks for the advice.

I never used a popup exchange because in my opinion they are very rarely tergeted towards your site. On the other hand I do use popups on my site but they are controlled so only one popup will appear while you are at my site no matter what page you come in on. I also use the websponsors exit ads which convert suprisingly well. Popups don't really bother me as long as it is just one or 2 but those webmasters who build sites which have windows popping up faster than I can close then should be kicked in th a [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] ! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: Freetweak ]

POPUPS SUCK!

Not only they are very annoying, they won't generate you any good traffic.

You'll get maaany hits, but no effect. I tried it myself - bought 10.000 popups, got about 8.000 visitors and maybe 3 or 4 sign ups to my mailing list from it.

Even if ya offer me free popups I wouldn't take any, they give a bad reputation to my site (who want's to sign up with a company that annoyes people with pop-ups?).

Pop-up sing along!

I love pop-ups in the morning.
    I love pop-ups in the evening.
    I love pop-ups every moment, every moment of the day.

Pop-up sing along!

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do the pop-up dance!

Do the pop-up dance!

Popups seem better than they are for a variety of reasons, mostly covered in this thread.

Here are some more (besides annoying your visitors). I kept ExitExchange for longer than I should have (actually till tomorrow [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) because it reciprocated with a full page advertisement for me. My tracker was telling that I was getting a great clickthrough ratio. Nope. My tracker was reading a lot of the exposures as clickthroughs and my actual clickthrough was zero.

If you decide to go the CPM advertising, watch out for Focusin. They give you nice little banner ads for a while and then suddenly you are a popup farm before you know it. Yes, including the X10 ads. They seemed ok for a while and a few bucks for nothing is always good.

Well, there it is. Something for nothing is always a scam.

SSnaf <-- LOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread