I just discoverd that sometime in late February, a number of my pages that I had paid to have listed in Inktomi, just dropped out of their database. The pages still show up on the Position Tech URL listing page, but they aren't getting any traffic. Each of them was getting a good flow of traffic prior to late February.

I double checked this through searching for keywords through AOL, and sure enough, these pages are nowhere to be found.

Tonight I "substituted" the URL's by entering the same URL in the substitution box as the page that is missing in the Inktomi database. What the Position Tech or Inktomi database then sees is a "new" page coming at it that it must spider.

Hope this works. If you're using Inktomi, you may want to check and make sure that your links are still working.

I had to nurse their urls for five weeks or so.

If these are pages that did well in Google you might need to reduce the keyword density. If you click on the number beside each url it takes you to a page where you can see what you were found on. There will be a few keywords that used to be there but haven't been seen recently.

If you find a pattern like that you overdid it. The only certain cure I know of is a new domain for the file after you've fixed it.

Although the pages get spidered every couple of days it takes about two weeks for the engines to take a dislike. I find if I sort it out very quickly I might be able to redeem the page, but if Ink takes strong exception, it seems to downgrade the whole domain. I'm not patient enough to know how long a domain takes to recover.

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread