Has anyone tried this new service yet? It looks like it's similar to Inktomi, which has been a home run for us. On the other hand, Lycos and FAST don't generate the traffic that MSN and AOL do.

Any experiences?

ABW Ambassador
    I've used it but I would recommend it mainly for UK and European domains. Lycos.co.uk is one of the largest UK search engines and the various Lycos partners across Europe are also pretty important. So I would say that if you have a .co.uk or .de domain, for example, then it is money well spent. For a US .com, I don't know. I wouldn't recommend it for entertainment or shopping type sites, though.

Just my 2 cents worth but I have a site listed in the #2 position of Lycos for a term that has over 200,000 monthly searches listed on the overture tool, but would be lucky to get 2 or 3 visitors a day from it.

Also they are getting very easy to get high ranks with since joining with alltheweb.com so why bother paying?

I would say that their traffic is about as bad or worse than altavista, no way they would get my money for that tiny bit of traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    I've been doing some research on Lycos traffic and I just can't justify the cost. I have one phrase ranked well in several search engines that converts extremely well... listed below is a comparison of the SEs, the number of hits (less than a week's worth) and the SERP ranking:

MSN : 55 hits : placement #1 in "web pages", 2nd link on page
    Yahoo/Google : 41 hits : placement #1 in "web page matches", 4th on page
    AOL : 38 hits : placement #1
    Google : 26 hits : placement #1
    Dogpile : 8 hits : placement #3
    Lycos : 0 hits : placement #1

So a first place link on Lycos is worth less than a third place on Dogpile??? Why would I pay for that?

The above is just a sample, I found similar patterns throughout (for the few pages I already have (free) listed in Lycos).

And I thought Lycos is the 4th or 5th biggest SE/Portal, after Yahoo, MSN, Google, and possibly AOL.

BTW, thanks Cedric for sharing the traffic info.

Cheers,
    TianTian

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: TianTian ]

ABW Ambassador
    I still think that Lycos is worth paying for overall, for UK and European sites. After all, Lycos.co.uk is the only non .com search engine in the list of top ten search engines. At least, it was last time I checked [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks to everyone for your insights. I think I'll try one or two URL's and see what happens. I'll feed them a couple of our more active pages, so I should be able to compare them with other SE's.

I'll be back in a couple of weeks and let you know how this turned out.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    DebtCafe & Cedric, you just saved me some money with your reports of low and no traffic coming from that engine!

BTW Cedric, remember how AGES AGO I emailed Fast for information about their paid inclusion? They just now responded... and not with a regular email, either.

No, they put me on AllTheWeb's mailing list instead and sent me a "newsletter" about it! :rolleyes: (They said the service had changed quite a bit, yada yada yada)

They talked about their new introductory prices for other "services", too, like only $189/month to have both paid inclusion and a box for a site search of your own content! Not only that, this "stellar" box also allows your visitors to search the Web as well as your own site (BAD!)

Doesn't Google offer their box (the one with both site and web search) FREE???

Just checked--YEP! The index refresh may be slower but the price is sooo much nicer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    >>$189/month

[strangling cough noises]

I think I'm getting some Lycos visitors, but I don't think its showing up in my log thingy as a 'search engine referral'. I'm getting a lot of 'website referrers' from Lycos and I hadn't noticed them before - equal to the amount from AOL.

Am I missing something? Traffic seems very good for mid month. I was going to cancel the Lycos inclusion but when I saw an unexplained jump in traffic I thought I'd hold off till I got an explanation.

I

I put the Google box on my designer handbags pages :cool: . Basically invited my visitors to keep on searching, since the merchant is so often out of merchandise :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

I've seen the Fast spider, but not much traffic. MSN is starting to get my attention due to more and more traffic (nothing like Google, but it's enough to notice). Maybe towards the end of the month I'll get smart and write up the general stats ala Cedric's helpful posts.

It would indeed be nice to see more than one SE sending serious amounts of traffic.

Well, I tried the paid Lycos/FAST submission on 3 of our most active pages. What a bust. The pages were included in the database within 48 hours, but almost no traffic at all. Oh, well, it's only money. . . . . . . .

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread