I've been tweaking my site for Inktomi and achieved a number 30 spot out of 230,728 sites that use that keyword. The higher my listing, the more cautious I am about making changes. How do I know when to stop?

Ray

what you could do Ray is
    1/ make and keep a record of your existing meta tags and page contents and positons
    2/ change them
    3/ wait for the update then see how they compare if you are lower either go back to your previous ones or try others but ALWAYS keep a record of your words and positions then you will know how you are doing, also you might get a #1 position for some search words but remember a #1 position with no sales is not as good as a #20 position that sells for you.
    Good luck

Actually I seem to recall a post some time ago about not using a second paid submission page to play with, that way your first one doesn't sink if your experiment fails. Try a search. Anyone remember that thread?

ABW Ambassador
    Ray,

Before you do anything else, go to msn.com, and take a look at the URLs for your page and the sites above you in the rankings.

If you are lucky, you should see some sites in the top ten with this kind of URL :
    http://redirect-west.inktomi.com/

These are paid inclusion sites.

If, however, the URLs are coming up as www.competitorsdomain.com - these are sites in the Inktomi best of web database.

The Best of Web database is Inktomi's web map and sites in this database are ranked not only on on-page criteria (keyword density, etc.) but also off-page criteria (themeing, link popularity). It is therefore very, very difficult to rank above these sites if you are not in the Best of Web database.

If this is the case for your keyphrases, then you will reach a point when 'tweaking' your page when nothing you do makes a difference. You should then concentrate on getting links in from relevant sites that are in the Inktomi Best of Web database, making very sure that these are on theme. It is this that separates the men from the boys for competitive keywords in Inktomi.

Hope this helps a little.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I must add a reminder about sites like MSN that also have their own directory listings. A #1 in Inktomi listings won't help if there's 200 directory listings before Ink's even begin!

Thanks Gordon, I've been doing that. Went from position 241 to 167 to 114 to 62 to 30.

Thanks to markymark and Leader, You put a new page in my notebook on how to check out the competition.

Wow! Just checked msn.com and I'm number 27!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] :cool: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I think I'll leave it alone for a while and see what happens. Thanks guys!

Ray

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread