An interesting development in the search engine wars.. LookSmart bought out the WiseNut search engine on 12th March (read LookSmart's press release here.)

It's an interesting move because WiseNut is actually a very good search engine with 1.5 billion pages indexed. Although not as comprehensive or good to use as Google, WiseNut will be a major improvement to LookSmart's portfolio which is currently lacking a good search engine. If you combine this with last year's acquisition with
    Zeal then it starts to look like LookSmart may have a decent business plan coming together.

You can read more about the user-contributed Zeal directory in my article "Renewed Zeal" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] If your a webmaster of a noncommercial site, becoming a Zeal editor is a great way to get your site listed for free instead of paying the $299 LookSmart fee.

This move is likely to give LookSmart a key competitive leg-up against the competition. With the LookSmart directory being the main revenue earner, the editors in Zeal fleshing out the directory at basically no cost and decent search results from WiseNut, then the LookSmart portal begins to look very attractive from a user's perspective..

..and a more attractive portal means more traffic, and possibly less from the all-powerful Google and Yahoo portals.

So if you're not already listed in WiseNut and LookSmart/Zeal, now might be the time to consider it. LookSmart is definitely up-and-coming as a portal, and it syndicates content quite widely.

Frankly, even though I'm a big Google fan, I love competition. It'll be nice seeing some more hits coming from another source.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    No offense to Dynamoo, but as long as LookSmart continues to sleep with scumware, I couldn't care less about being listed with them.

I'll make my money elsewhere, thank you.

ABW Ambassador
    Trouble is, LookSmart itself doesn't drive much traffic, with or without Wisenut. What I want to know is does this also apply to Looksmart UK, as they have recently started using Google results.

But I agree any competition to Google is necessary and a good thing.

I guess integration will be about 6 months judging by the Zeal experience.

They're not a huge traffic generator for me at the moment either, but it's definitely worth checking those WiseNut listings.

Scumware.. yeah it's a mistake for LookSmart. But then the directory does feed into AltaVista and elsewhere.. it's a tough call and personally I think it's a question of litigation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Well I don't think it's a tough call, anyone who will participate on making money from someone else stealing your traffic, how long will it be before they do it directly, or something worse like redirect certain searches to their own webpages, or affiliate webpages. Heck with looksmart, what comes around goes around.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread