I have an old, established site - lots of quality incoming links, ranks very well in all the search engines, gets lots of visitors.

Problem it is on a free server and they have gone to pop ups - very annoying. I have thought about getting a domain just for this site but it has been on the web so long, I know I would lose a lot of incoming links.

What do you think, move or stay?

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Yes move

Use a browser redirect to the new domain name.

Put a we have move sign on there and let the surfers know they can find you at www.yournewsite.com

Try to contact as many of your link partners as you can and get them to change to your new site.

YOu shouldn't really loose traffic

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: Heyder ]

ABW Ambassador
    Vicki,

Make the move and simply put a re-direct or a short note on the free site like ... "we have moved" with a link to the new site.

You wont lose much [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dave

Hmmmm... the problem is maintaining your link ranking though.

Yes, you definitely need to move to a proper domain - then you'll not have to worry about it again.. but you should contact as many people that link to you as possible and ask them to change the links - even with the redirect page. You need to get as many links as possible pointing to the new site to ensure Google ranks you highly.. I got a pretty good response when I had to do it.

The redirect, worked and still works for me, and the way it worked for my site when I moved it is, the search engines picked up all the pages except the index, and for the longest time the old site came up where the new index should have been, until I got my dmoz link changed, then everything feel together. And even though my new index comes up first, on some searches the old domain still shows up. If you search for windows xp tips you'll see my index on the first page, my actual xp tips pages on the second page and right below it the old index, you'll be able to tell when you see it. Anyway, only trouble I had with the redirect was the index, and that was because it took forever for me to get the dmoz link updated. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And even though my new index comes up first, on some searches the old domain still shows up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what exactly happend to me for a while with a move I made last year. Took a while before the new address replaced the old one and like Dynamoo said, you got to get the people who link to you change to the new url, especially when it comes to getting a good rank with Google.

When you do the move just give it a bit of time to see changes in the Search Engines.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread