Anybody else seeing a big increase from Altavista? I'm seeing a big increase from teoma and ask.com also, anybody else?

Our traffic has nearly doubled today, but I don't know where it is coming from yet. If it's not a new Google update, then maybe from AV or the others? Although none of these have done much for us before.

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: hershey ]

ABW Ambassador
    There was a full AV update a couple of days ago (the 30th, I think) and Teoma has just come out of beta, but I still don't see anything new at Google.

Yes, it looks like we got a bump from AV. Unexpected but nice!

MarkyMark, are you concerned that the Google update is taking so long? Could they be working on a new algo, ready to change things drastically?

ABW Ambassador
    Concerned ? Honestly, a little. The last update was almost a month and a half back, so they are presumably doing something over at GoogleGeek HQ. Usually, myself and my clients are pretty much immune from all but the most radical algo changes but this has caught my attention more than most.

However, I don't really think that there is anything too drastic going on. I don't have much evidence for this, but if you look at sites with what was called 'fresh', you can see a little movement for these sites. I think if there was a radical algo change in the works, then this wouldn't be the case.

My feeling is that they MAY be changing the link factor/PR element of their algo after all those Google bombing and PR0 things. Link Pop. has become an easily manipulated part of Google's algorithim, so this would make a certain amount of sense.

Of course, we could all be worrying over nothing and they are just having some technical problems of some kind. They have certainly given no indications of anything major away at conventions and so on.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread