Rookie question: Has anyone submitted an affiliate site to the Open Directory Project successfully? The submission instructions state: "Don't submit sites consisting largely of affiliate links".

Thanks...
    Steve
    tek1systems.com

ABW Ambassador
    Your chances of getting an affiliate site in DMOZ are slim to none. I have tried over and over and my sites had tons of content - still Declined.

Just submit and see what happens.
    You never know, you might get lucky (probably won't though).

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: Rik ]

I just submitted a page from my site that does not have any affiliate anything: my BBS (Computer Bulletin Board) page, and there is a link on it to my main affiliate page. Perhaps submitting a sub-catagory (page) will work. Let's see what happens.

ABW Ambassador
    Submit only content rich sites [a NEW domain] that are "sponsored" by a link to an affiliate site.

That is it. So simple.

Right on Adam!

Not only that but clean your pages up before you submit them. Wait until they are accepted then throw a couple of affiliate links on them. As long as you don't turn it into a spam factory and keep good content they won't come back to remove your page.

It's kind of like interviewing for a job. You don't tell your new perspective employer that your last job sucked and that's why you want to quit. You tell them it was a great job but you are looking to better yourself.

Once your are in they'll discover the shitbird you really are but firing you or removing your listing isn't fun for anyone to do as long as you don't going overboard. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: Heyder ]

I am convinced that your odds depend upon the specific category and how corrupt the editors for that category may or may not be. I have a site that I thought would be approved with no problem because half of the listings in the desired category are AFFILIATE sites. I have been denied over and over again because my site contains affiliate link! Meanwhile, I have three times as much original content than the affiliate sites that they do list!!! Unless someone can prove otherwise, I maintain that some DMOZ editors are CORRUPT!!!

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: seaslug44 ]

I think a lot of editors misunderstand the affiliate links guidelines and tend to go overboard.

tek1systems: good idea. DMOZ wants CONTENT and is prepared to accept deeplinks if appropriate. That way you can add individual snippets of content without having to contentise the whole site. Also, every time you try it you'll get a nice clean deeplink URL which won't have any rejection history on it.

ABW Ambassador
    hello
    be careful when you submit in dmoz, if you spam! or poor content just link affiliate farm to ODP your site will get "red alert button" and you'll be blocked from odp forever

I have recently been accepted as a DMOZ editor in a category that I know quite a bit about etc.

A question along these lines for all you veteran DMOZ editors. If a web master has nine pages of unique content where they poured their heart out about something they obviously believe in but the tenth page is a whole bunch of affiliate links; that's pushing it but is acceptable - correct? In the strictest sense of the DMOZ guidelines.

I haven't run into this situation yet but have a sneaking fear that I will. I would post to their board but ABW has spoiled me and I am hesitant due to its "tone."

There's actually nothing wrong with having affiliate links per se - you just need to mentally factor them out when evaluating the site.

So 10% affiliate links means 90% content.. if that 90% content is good enough to be in, then it should be in. Also consider deeplinking - i.e. bypassing the main page and pointing at something more content-rich, if it's appropriate.

My first two sites were glorified affiliate sites. Lots of content and information with almost every outgoing link to the services, products, etc.. being affiliate links. They both got accepted. They both made no money. :eek: Too much content, no ad spin.

That was even back in the days of ppc and impressions. Well, I've never tried submitting any of my sales site. I suppose it would be worth a try.

Editors: Peter Kirby once mentioned on these boards about adding sites in your bookmarks. Google seems to hide them in the links: results, but they're there.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Submit only content rich sites [a NEW domain] that are "sponsored" by a link to an affiliate site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> This is worth remembering if a chance for some volunteer work comes along.

I'm making a site for a cyber-friend, using content from his files, about an event he has directed for a number of years. Because the event is so well respected in its niche, the site has potential to become a pagerank heavyweight. Several "little" sites have already linked to it, just for the price of asking, and I'm confident that Yahoo, DMOZ, etc will like it too when I think it's ready to submit.

My friend knows I have ulterior motives besides being nice to him, but wonders if some discreet "sponsored by" text links of my choosing will be enough compensation for my work!!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread