Over the past month I've been learning all about Google. A nnew site that I just created was added to the Google index today. It shows a PageRank of 4/10. Is that good for a brand new site?? How do I increase the PR? How often does it move?

Increase the number of quality inbound links to your site to increase your PR.

The higher the PR of the pages linking to you, the higher your PR will be.

If you have few links pointing to you, then your PR will probably be 1 lower than the highest PR pointing to you. (ie if you get a link on a page with a PR of 6, then your PR will probably increase to 5).

ABW Ambassador
    Uh, Commission King, that's not how PageRank works at all. In simple terms, each page on a site has a finite amount of PR it can distribute both externally and within the site itself. The actual PageRank given to your site by another site linking to you is subdivided by the number of links going out of that page. Consequently what you should be looking for is high PR pages that only have a few links coming from them - that way you get more of the PR going to your site.

For a more detailed explanation, try this link :
    PageRank Explained.

This is a PDF document and will explain everything you ever wanted to know about PR and much more - it's a bit heavy going in places, though.

I did a search for low interest credit cards and clicked on the first link that came up in google. It has a very low page rank. 3/10
    I tried the same for cell phone calling plans. Again the top sites had a low page rank. Why worry about page rank?

We have a top listing for insurance and that page has a PR of 2.

ABW Ambassador
    Agreed. I've been saying this for ages. PR isn't all that in the Google algo. However, link text is very important and is the guiding point for my current optimization philosophy, which is to optimize largely for Inktomi (and for UK sites, Lycos) and tweak for Google.

T

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Uh, Commission King, that's not how PageRank works at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh Markymark,
    I guess you can't read yet and/or you don't know anything about google pagerank. If you actually try reading my post you would see I was giving a very general guide.

If you have a page with PR5 and have links to 10 other pages, chances are all 10 of those pages will have PR4.

PR is complex and lots of things can effect your PR (number of links on the page pointing to you, number of pages pointing to you and their PR), But like I said, if you only have few links pointing to your page, your PR WILL most likely be 1 less than the highest page pointing to you.

As I said:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you have few links pointing to you, then your PR will probably be 1 lower than the highest PR pointing to you. (ie if you get a link on a page with a PR of 6, then your PR will probably increase to 5).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try reading next time.

[ 04-07-2002: Message edited by: Commission King ]

ABW Ambassador
    Commission King, I did read your post and have also just read your reply to mine.

You can be as sarcastic as you like, it really doesn't bother me much but you are misleading people with things like "if you get a link on a page with a PR of 6, then your PR will probably increase to 5".

You and I may both know the conditions under which this may be true, but it is not a general rule. After all if you only have one inbound link from a site with PR6 that also links out to 60 other sites/pages, then your PR will not be 5.

BTW, all that stuff about "I guess you can't read..." makes you sound a little childish. There was nothing in my post worth getting angry about - I just disagreed with you, that's all.

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: markymark ]

markymark,
    Unfortunately you never read the orginal message, because your response didn't address any of the questions asked.

One of the questions was:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How do I increase the PR?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Increase the number of quality inbound links to your site to increase your PR.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really should read first. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you have a page with PR5 and have links to 10 other pages, chances are all 10 of those pages will have PR4<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C.King,
    I just checked a number of my pages on several different sites and you are exactly right - each page is exactly 1 PR less than the highest PR linking to it.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread