Do you think that if you use a link to your site as part of your sig when you post on message boards that Google would count that as a link to your site?

WB,

While I do not know exactly if it would, I am pretty sure it should, but, make sure the Board is SE or google friendly, if you see "cgi" in the addy it usually isn't! (one of my main reasons to upgrade to UBBThreads [PHP]).

Haiko

Just to add a bit of info to the .cgi issue

In (some) cases google does index .cgi links. The link needs to be filled out with the proper quary. It will not open a cgi script and look around trying to guess a quary.
    example: www.somesite.whatever/cgi-bin/script.cgi?quary=term is indexed by google but www.somesite.whatever/cgi-bin/script.cgi is not indexed.

This probably isn't always true but while checking my links popularity I found a site that linked to me by way of a cgi?searh=(term) that was indexed by google.
    I also remember having an auction.cgi script a year ago and that site had also been indexed by google.

In the case of forums it might be a more diffucult to index the .cgi pages. Personally I would blame the long quary strings to get to a forum.

Yes I'm pretty sure it does, but the PR algorithm is complex so don't expect guestbooks to count for much.

If you check the PR of the guestbooks themselves, you'll typically find it's pretty low so the individual links won't help much.. but if you get a LOT of them then it can make a significant difference - i.e. the practice of "Google Bombing".

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, pretty much all links that can be spidered do count towards link popularity and affect rankings, though Dynamoo's analysis is spot on.

Moo and MarkyMark,

Are you telling me that this very thread will be indexed by google?

Haiko

Haiko;

I typed "cgi-bin message" as a search in Google and came up with alot of message boards and individual messages. That seems to me as if Google is indexing message boards and threads.

Marky,

If you ran a SEO, what would you use to be the deciding factor for arranging the listings?

ABW Ambassador
    I just checked my own link pop and while I have been including in my URL in my signature for quite a while, Google is not reporting any links from abestweb. So if Google is noticing them at all, such links are not weighted heavily.

WB,

If they did, wouldn't there be a list of threads for the search term "parasiteware+cgi"? I know that when we upgrade to PHP it will all be indexed!
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...siteware%2Bcgi

Haiko

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buckworks.com:
    I just checked my own link pop and while I have been including in my URL in my signature for quite a while, Google is not reporting any links from abestweb. So if Google is noticing them at all, such links are not weighted heavily.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elisabeth,

I, actually, did a few tests to see what we could do, link wise, for others via a dynamic script that we have hidden. What I discovered was similar to what Commission King speculated in another thread, that being, the linked sites went up in pagerank (sometimes by 4 points!) because of the links from ABW. The test was for a linking engine that we are coding out with a developer who will help us create a directory type link engine that checks reciprocal links automatically to symbiotically augment all pageranks and inbound links.

------------------
    Markymark,

I printed out the pagerank analysis pdf and will read it tonight.

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>checks reciprocal links automatically to symbiotically augment<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> ... Huh?

Elisabeth,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>a directory type link engine that checks reciprocal links automatically[quote]

comma (which was missing) :O

[quote]to symbiotically augment all pageranks and inbound links.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

of the sites in the directory

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko,

No I'm not saying this thread will be indexed, although I understand that Google has the capability to index almost any dynamic link now, but they don't use it.

Professor,

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you clarify ?

Haiko

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    If they did, wouldn't there be a list of threads for the search term "parasiteware+cgi"? I know that when we upgrade to PHP it will all be indexed! http://www.google.com/ search?hl=en&safe=off&q=parasiteware%2Bcgi

Haiko<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe there's nothing on www at the moment but check out www3 and the posts are there.. http://www3.google.com/search?num=10...=Google+Search

I was thinking that the reason they're not on www may be a timing issued (I can't remember when the Parasiteware forum opened but wondered whether it was before the last reindex). However checking on www for

abestweb futuresky

finds nothing, whereas www3 does find results. Therefore I'm guessing it can't be a timing issue as I've been posting here since the cj forums closed.

Soooo...maybe we now know why google took a few extra weeks to reindex this time around - little googlebot was busy indexing all the abestweb posts [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I did a search on my forum handle. The fourth result was A Best Web and one of my posts in the merchants corner.

Interesting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Marky,

How would you go about posting the listings for any specific search - what would count most name, description, etc.

Suppose you had 1,000 listings for the word MARK.

How would they be listed 1 to 1000? Randomly, etc.

In other words what criteria for the list sequence would you use if you ran a SEO.

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, I getcha, Prof. How would I decide to rank sites if I ran a search engine. I've got a feeling that you have some ulterior motive for asking, but I would employ some bright maths/linguistics guys to develop top class contextual software that really tries to understand the meaning of words in relation to each other and can also identify nonsense (ie: alt tag spam that just says mark, marks, marky-mark, marking etc.) .

That would be the basis for understanding documents. I would also be unafraid to read the content of gif tags in order to better understand the real content of the page. If I - or my bright maths/linguistics team - could then add a further layer of contextual understanding - ie: this is a web site, it often has text navigation on the left, pages sometimes have graphic headlines and calls to action, etc. - then we would be on the way to being able to accurately understand a document using software.

Having achieved this, I could build a ranking methodology around the entire content of a page rather than just the density for a searched for phrase. This could be supplemented by some measure of site themeing and inbound links, but used as a verifier and back up for the accuracy of the software used. Things like keyword density and proximity would take second place to an accurate contextual analysis of a particular phrase, related to the paragraph, page, site and web. The site that most accurately reflects this phrase would be the first result.

However, it would also require genuine contextual input from searchers to work. Rather than people searching for 'mark', they would be asked/encouraged/coerced and forced to type a sentence that describes what they want to find.

IE: When was the first use of the name Mark ? or I want to buy a gift online for my brother's 40th birthday. If you try that second search at Google (which is still probably the best search engine), there doesn't seem to be a single ecommerce site in the first ten results. However, with my ranking algo, all the first ten should be e-commerce sites selling 40th birthday gifts for men.

Fantasy land ? Maybe, but that is what I would do and how I would do it.

Here's a question;

Why is AbestWeb not included in the Google Groups index??

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=abestwe b&btnG=Google+Search

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread