It seems that the ODP has woken up to some of the criticisms levelled at it and started to address the issue of unreviewed submissions.

The editor's tools have recently been improved with a new "Greenbusters" permission. This allows editors to look at new submissions ONLY in categories they wouldn't normally have access to as a way of overcoming the HUGE backlog of sites.

I'm Greenbusting in a "level 2" (by which I mean a cat like "Arts/Radio") part of the directory with about 5000 entries plus 5000 unreviewed. With some horror I have noticed that some of the unrevieweds have been sitting around since 2000 so we're looking at some serious backlog here.

Of these, over 500 are sitting in the "top" directory.. including some sites from ABW members. These sites are going to be looked at last, and probably just deleted. Remember peeps, always submit to the right category, you'll get sorted out sooner.

You can't join the ODP just to greenbust, you'll need to be an existing editor with 100 edits (mostly adds). The full details are here.

If you ARE an existing editor it's time to roll your sleeves up! And if you're a submitter, keep your fingers crossed - you might find that site you submitted last year getting listed after all! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    It is about time this happened. Though I also think it is about time ODP made the move to paid editors or at least instigated some kind of Zeal-like test and sign-up process.

Too right markymark!

I've always maintained that the tools Zeal editors get are tons better than ODP editors. There have been some recent backend improvements though at the ODP.

lol, hope mine gets done - don't think it is in a top catagory. It wasn't when I looked and submitted.

I thought about being an editor in my catagory but decided against it. I might like to be one in another catagory though of something that I like but don't have a page about.

I do know a lot about the subject but decided it might not be fair to do my own catagory. Besides, these people can be VERY territorial about this subject. lol, you would not believe some of the sniping that goes on. Some people just think they own it, if you get my drift. Never will forget the time I put up a list of movies. Got a very nasty letter from another site saying I had stolen his content. I wrote back to inform him it was a list, common knowledge, and that I had never even been to his site. So I go take a look and guess what - his photo gallery is entirely taken off of all my pics.(which I know are mine due to coloration, editing etc)

Oh well, I digress.
    Anyhooo, have a great day!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Actually, one thing to consider editing (if there isn't an editor already) is your locality (i.e. hometown). That's pretty easy to add to as you can pick up web addresses from local newspapers, shopfronts etc.

As I've said many times before, if you want to understand the ODP being an editor is the best way to do it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I had a visitor to my site from this url... http://dmoz.org/editors/editcat-unrev2.cgi

Do you know what it was? it seems to be password protected.

Thanks,
    --Pete

ABW Ambassador
    **** the ODP

DebtCafe: that was an ODP editor visiting your site, probably looking at your submission.

Big Chuck: hopefully these improvements will help by opening up the editing process. I understand how frustrating the ODP can be sometimes but really there's no call to be quite that rude :eek: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Now that I have become an editor and seen some of the inside info I have a new respect for the problems I have had with them in the past.

The categories I had applied to and been denied had no editor but once "inside" I found that someone had just done a lot of work in those categories and really they didn't need any help. The category I was approved for was something I found later that was right up my alley and come to find out had needed significant work--some backlogs and needed updates from 1999!

After fixing that category, I had enough edits to apply for a Greenbuster. That was when I really realized just how much work needs to be done to fix a few parts of the directory. The category in particular that I have been Greenbusting for about three days had almost twice as many sites in unreviewed as were listed in the category.

Another thing I have been wanting to say, probably shouldn't but will anyway. How well things are done in a category depends on the editor there. Lets just say some are better than others.

From being on the receiving end of things I make sure I remember that there is a person on the other end of the links I click and spend at least a few minutes looking through their site to make sure that it truly should or shouldn't be there.

The editors I have had contact with so far really are OK. No one was more surprised by this than I. How many overall are OK, I have no idea, but at least some are.

Also my positive experiences probably also stem from the fact that in the categories I am tending there have not been any affiliate submissions.

[QUOTE]How well things are done in a category depends on the editor there. Lets just say some are better than others.[/QUOTE}

Well said! People often seem to thing that the ODP is some sort of huge single being with a grudge against webmasters, when in facts it's thousands of individuals, some who are good editors and some who aren't.

The "worst-case" editor gets approved for a cat, adds their own site and then cools it and then deletes a few competing sites, and never logs in again. I've maybe come across this twice only, ever. On the other end of the scale are people who don't seem to have a life other than editing and have 50,000 edits to their name. Most people are in between though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread