Goto was good to me - but since the new rules it's been a pain to get listed... having tried findwhat before I got lots of click throughs but not many sales (unlike goto)

So - be honest with me! In light of the fact Excite now carries their listings...

DO you get a good return of investment?

HAVE you seen an increase of sales?

Honesty please [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ damn - posted this in the wrong forum - can you move it? :P ]

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: evilbob ]

I get a little traffic from FindWhat, but not much. You need to be the #1 listing in the category to get traffic.

Plus their approval process for new listings takes forever.

On the other hand, clicks are a lot cheaper than Oversure/Goto. A 1 cent click is always going to be at least 4 cents cheaper than Goto.

I used Kanoodle too, which is easier to get listed on, still quite cheap but only generates a fraction of Goto's traffic.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I never list in the top position unless I can take it for a cent or two, but I still get fairly good traffic from FW--about 1/3 of what OverSure sends, which isn't too pathetic considering that Ah-Ha sends only a miniscule amount (in the hundreds of hits as opposed to thousands).

At OverSure, the more partnerships they get the more dud clicks I get (CR drops). So FindWhat's Excite deal may be what's causing those UNexciting CR results...I'm not too familiar with Excite's setup, but if those viewers are used to finding content sites on the other end of links, they are not nearly as likely to convert as the people who go directly to a PPC with the understanding that Commercial Advertisers are what they will find.

Hopefully FW will not bow to any demands to act like OverSure!

As for the lenghth of time for the review, it's been running a little less than a week for me to get in. It beats having the NO notice come back from Over, even if Over says it faster!

Just watch out for FindWhat's mass enter keywords tool. I used it to enter 60 keywords and they didn't show in pending. I thought it was a problem with their site so left for the day. I got an email from them the next day saying my account was low. Seems my keywords were all listed in the number one position. Drained my account real quick!

Their default position for mass entered keywords is number one. That's maximum pricing. Their reply to my protest that I didn't have a chance to set the bids was, "These things happen. Your account is low, want to add more money?"

Ray

ABW Ambassador
    The bottom line here: If you use FindWhat's mass submit tool you MUST, MUST, MUST check the bid amounts of each and every term you have submitted.

What's even worse than what Ray described is that even if you choose position #3 it's not always reliable at entering things in that position. I've had things go in at #1 instead of #3 even though I KNOW I selected #3. And sometimes it puts a term in at #1 by a wide margin, not just a penny more. I have written to them a couple of times to complain about this.

The first time it happened I got stung witha term at 25¢ when I intended 1¢. Other times when it has happened I was watching for it and was able to make corrections before the terms went live. I sometimes enter hundreds of terms at a time but I've learned only to do it at a time when I have time to keep checking back to make sure I double-check the bid amounts as soon as they show up in Pending. The other alternatives are to enter your terms one at a time, or else learn how to submit a spreadsheet.

Again I say, along with Ray, FindWhat's mass submit tool is convenient but DO NOT TRUST IT to do what you expect.

Elisabeth Archambault

Finding out that you have paid $1.68 per click for your traffic is a VERY unpleasant surprise. I'm still sore from that one.

Ray

ABW Ambassador
    Ouch. O-u-c-h. OUCH!!!!

"The other alternatives are to enter your terms one at a time~Elisabeth"

Always have, always will!

And when I read a horror story like that (Ray's $1.68/click), I am reminded to keep on doing it that way! Yikes!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Different things work for different people.
    I'm not exaggerating here: Findwhat sends me five to ten times as much traffic as Overture does on words and terms that I keep in the top three positions in Overture. Surely it may be the other way around for other types of offers. All goes to show that everybody should try them all and determine which works for them. Some may get by on Overture alone, but I can let my account with them run out and it won't be a cause for concern.
    Furthermore, Searchany sends me more traffic for 15 cents than Overture does for 15 dollars. I have had too small a sampling of their traffic yet to determine it's quality, but I've always held that someone who finds you through a more obscure source is more likely to be truly interested in your offers, as opposed to a bunch of "Yahoos" who for the most part are merely curious.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I began mass submitting keywords a while back, so I don't use the individual submissions very much. You definately have to be careful about the price selection at findwhat. I have found, however, that this is the best use of your time:

1. Dig up a list of keywords related to your site, preferably 100s of them.
    2. Type the list into a word document, and save.
    3. Copy and paste the list into each of the PPC engines you are using.

In this way, you always know you are using every relevant keyword at each PPC, and the entire list is available should you later decide to try out a new PPC.

It just keeps me organised, so I don't miss out on good keywords or phrases on one or more PPC sites, especially since I have several thousand keywords in play at any given time.

I like their search popularity tool it's very accurate.

WSE, I was just about to say that their search popularity tool is totally out of whack!

I get a better return with findwhat than oversure! My personal favorite is kanoodle though! AND if your looking for a lot of traffic fast you might want to check out sprinks...they did away with all bids under $.05 so its really easy to get a #1 spot for $.05 or $.06.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've had things go in at #1 instead of #3 even though I KNOW I selected #3. And sometimes it puts a term in at #1 by a wide margin, not just a penny more. I have written to them a couple of times to complain about this.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there might be a trend here. Twice in the past month or so, I spent a week's worth of funds in a day because one or more of my listings mysteriously bounced to the number one position at over $1/click. The first time I thought it was my error. The 2nd time it was with a different search term so I am convinced it was caused by FW. Right now I'm doing an experiment. I moved all of my bids to four cents or less to see if FW changes any of them again. If they do, I'm gonna bring this to the attention of the FTC or my local U.S. Attorney.

KEEP ON EYE ON FW! :rolleyes:

The waste your money tricks at PPC is proliferating.

First, the overhead they have is nowhere near what they projected it to be - astronomically higher. As a results, profits are all but non-exisitent.

Second, traffic is thinning out as more and more PPC players proliferate.

Third, people are not buying as much due to economy woes.

Fourth, eliminating lots of affiliate type sites has been a disaster for merchants as they lost alot of 'secondary' keyword links directed to their sites by affiliates. Results, sales are slow.

Fifth, almost all PPC's have cut back advertising of the branding sort due to poor results in getting listings. While some wiley affiliates know how to do the 1,000 keyword purchases at 1 penny, most business people just check the top 3 to 5 keywords for their products or industries and see the 1 to 10 slots are priced out of their budgets.

And finally, the manufacturer of stupid pills has just delivered cases and cases of the little blue pills and it has been an orgy of ingestion from CEO's down to CSR's.

I, for one, have cut my budget at PPC from over $1,000 per month down to whatever I earn as an affiliates of goClick.

And I put the $300 per quarter we make off of BendOver into OFFLINE Classified Ads.

So far not great results for some stuff, but not bad either all things considered.

Doing a major OFFLINE test for INK, for webhosting, billboard webpages and SOHO cordless phone systems.

Nest on the list is to do a offline promo for eBay stuff in the local penhysaver type
    weeklies. Ads are about $5. One sale of an eBook makes $15+, one new registration pays for the ad. considering the cirulation is about 10,000 for some of the publications, if I get just 2 registrations it's a 100% ROI.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I'd be interested in knowing how that turns out, Fred. I'm considering doing some offline advertising as well.

hershey: I was trying to be sarcastic, didn't work as text tho [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Fred has a good tip here:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> offline promo for eBay stuff in the local penhysaver type
    weeklies. Ads are about $5. One sale of an eBook makes $15+, one new registration pays for the ad. considering the circulation is about 10,000 for some of the publications, if I get just 2 registrations it's a 100% ROI.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have done much of this type of offline advertising myself, with pretty good results.
    Don't expect huge response, but consider this:
    If somebody is interested enough in your product to not only fish it out of a printed classified-type publication, but also clip or write down the url to visit your site later, they are as targeted prospect as you can get.
    Also they are visiting your site, and only your site, not other competitor's sites as they would if they had found you in a search engine listing.
    As long as just a few responses will justify your cost, this is worth doing.
    Not high-traffic, but high quality traffic.
    I'd trade a thousand "merely curious" site visitors for just ten visitors responding to an in-print ad like this any day. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

LOL, looking over my original response to this thread on 11/21/01, I see that it's obsolete.

A couple of months ago I noticed I was getting junk traffic from FW so I let the account go dry. There was no longer any noticable difference in most categories. It used to be that I could tell instantly when I had forgotten to refill FW's account just by looking at my sales figures! But not any more, so I didn't recharge it.

"Doing a major OFFLINE test for INK~Fred"

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: potato ]

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread