2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looksmart has no longer a standard search engine (as per www.revenews.com) AND NOW requires a minimum 15 cents per keyword to get a listing. These guys crawled into bed with all the Parasite vendors and scumlords two months ago as the search engine of choice to feed hijacked links to the con artists. Let's get all the ABW members to run this one out of town after tar-n-feathering their ass at Revenews and here. Post away and let them know their excluding affiliate pages like Overture will get them boycotted.

I just sent a letter to all my 240+ web site clients telling them I will never submit their sites to Looksmart.

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>These guys crawled into bed with all the Parasite vendors and scumlords two months age<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Actually it was longer than two months ...
    http://scumware.com/hall1.html

I had been considering whether to list my main site with LookSmart, and when I read the article in that link I decided not to for ethical reasons. (And I wrote to tell them so, too). Ethics sometimes cost me money, but that time it saved me $300!

Elisabeth Archambault

Mike,

They have been charging merchants per click, changing the 'paid' static links into affiliate links and been in bed with Ezula for quite some time. The merchants don't give a shoot! And looksmart doesn't need affiliate business.

Any affiliate who is 'stupid' enough to waste their money with looksmart will be highly disappointed in the results. see http://www.abestweb.com/ezula

Haiko

LookSmart are going in all directions at once.

Firstly, they're doing good stuff with a business that combines a paid-for commericial portal (i.e. LookSmart), a user-contributed "added value" setup (i.e. Zeal) and soon a very decent search engine (WiseNut).

Then they're going for suicidally high PPC rates, allying themselves with any low-life scumbag who'll get them a click and then combining it all into a bodged together nightmare of an interface which even has the barefaced cheek of recycling ODP listings as its own.

It's like they're choosing between the light and dark side of the force.. unfortunately, I think they're going to choose the dark side [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Haiko..I highly suspect they are the SE of choice for redirecting URLs for all the P2P thieves. The amount of profiling info they have collected on multi millions of LookSmart visitors and their ???? custom search box browser plugins means they are selling off that info to the spammers and dubious mass opt-in list management companies. Advertising whores ..all of them.. the moment the Dotcom bubble burst and their CEO's and management got hooked on qget rick quick plans.

Their PPC is a complete RIP OFF!

$49 Setup
    $150 Minimum Deposit
    .15 minimum per click
    http://listings.looksmart.com/?synd=none&chan=lshomepg

Yea right. It makes the .05 minimum over at overture look much better.

Oh don't worry overture will wait about a year and their rates will jump to 10 cents per.

Geez the guys at Revnews.com sure are a touchy bunch on the issues of parasites and scumwarez. Must be the favorite haunt of the Ad brokers, affiliate aggregrate managers and blood sucking Ad agencies. Sorry Haiko for asking ABW members to post their comments there. But go ahead and stir the pot!!

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

Who has ever gotten any traffic DIRECT from Lookdumb? I think in 5 years maybe I have seen 1 hit from them. MSN needs to dump them.

Good point Jane, Dynamoo gets 0.25% of it's traffic direct from LookSmart and 2% for CreepyGuy. All these hits are actually generated from listing in Zeal.

It's the syndicated results which are difficult to track, since it seems common for Search Engines to draw results from more than one place now.

ABW Ambassador
    I think MSN may be behind this shift to PPC. After all, Overture pays them to display listings on MSN, while they pay Looksmart. It may be (and this is pure speculation, sort of) that MSN has said to Looksmart - pay us to display your results or you're gone. Hence mad panic and this sudden shift to a bizarre PPC model. After all, you will notice that all the Overture bids of 15c and under have suddenly disappeared from MSN and by some strange coincidence, this is the bid cost at Looksmart.

Marky has been studying under Hercule Poirot.

His little grey cells may have cobbled toether the truth they didn't want you to know.

Say good-by to FREE search engine traffic in any reasonable amounts. I dooubt the FREE engines will go away, but FREE links will be relegated to page 999 and above, which is about the same as not being listed at all.

But MSN should give us free listings. Afterall they gave away computers to get people to use MSN, they gave away their browser to kill Netscape. Yes.. just give everyone free listings updated daily and everyone will use your engine. How else are you gonna stomp on Yahoo?

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread