Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I submitted my site to Ask Jeeves, and got rejected with this error message:

17 ERROR_SERVER: Duplicated Another URL.
    Problem: The contents of the Web page to which your URL points is duplicated from another URL.

They haven't replied yet, but it sounds like someone copied my site and submitted it to Ask Jeeves....! Am I wrong?

It does sound that way. It may also be that you are sharing an IP address with a site which is still registered, but no longer hosted by your web hosting company.

I've run into that. I'll notice something like WinterSolstice2001.org in my logs for a site I own called Widgets.com (not real name). I wonder why WinterSolstice2001.org is linking to me, so I click on the URL. I see my own site with WinterSolstice2001.org on the URL line. Huh?

It turns out the WinterSolstice2001.org is registered and pointing at the same name servers I use. They were hosted with the same company I use. They apparently cancelled their account, but my web hosting company never actually removes them from their name servers. So both WinterSolstice2001.org and Widgets.com both point to 1.2.3.4 (not real IP address).

Since the search engines see my site when they follow links to WinterSolstice2001.org, they already have my content.

You can resolve this issue pretty easily by contacting your hosting company and asking them to remove the dead site.

In your case, you don't know if that is what has happened. Go to AskJeeves and enter something very specific from your site. Use 5 or 6 contiguous words to make sure that it is very specific. The results should return the offending domain. A little more investigation will tell you if someone stole your content... or there is just an obsolete DNS entry somewhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It may also be that you are sharing an IP address with a site which is still registered, but no longer hosted by your web hosting company. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, thank you heather. Now I finally have an example of my gut feeling about not wanting to share an IP address with anyone's sites but my own.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread