i have a shopping mall website, and about $60
    to spend on targeted advertising, can you help me - what options of advertising do i have, what are the best ones, what can i get for $60, and from your experience, how much did you earn in commission, in comparison to what you've spent on ads?

thanks!

shamrock
    for ppc try findwhat, you can bid low and $60 should go a long way. google adwords could burn those dollars too quickly. overture doesn't like affilate sites.
    i prefer inktomi listings, they last a year, pay once and you can switch urls later, targetted pages can pick up good traffic.

for $60, i vote inktomi

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: chinaski ]

thanks,
    what is the url of inktomi?
    where do they list you exactly?
    can i also change my keywords, or only my url?

also i would love to hear some other suggstions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

see here for inktomi info - this is the site i use, there are others http://www.positiontech.com/inktomi/searchsubmit.htm
    (not an affiliate link)
    you pay to get the urls into the search engine results within days, the keywords are from your page + meta tags, ranking depends on how well your page is optimized

ABW Ambassador
    You'll likely want to end up with a combination of PPC listings and Inktomi, plus of course learning how to optimize for Google etc.

Before you spend money with FindWhat, consider whether you're comfortable with the fact that they use scumware partnerships to deliver some of the clicks they sell you. If you consider it theft when parasitic link placement is used to hijack your traffic, it follows that you ought not to do it to others. Ethically you can't have it both ways.

I prefer 7Search for that reason (no ethical problems that I know of), plus you can get instant listings without having to wait for an editor's approval.

With penny listings on a good range of terms, you can get 6000 visitors for $60. They won't come all at once, but if you have bid on terms that are well-targeted for the page, the traffic should be profitable.

That's your baseline for comparison. I think it would cost $64 to get two Inktomi listings for a year (the first is more expensive) so as long as you got 6400 visitors in that year you'd equal the value of penny listings. That is not guaranteed with Inktomi, but on the other hand it's also possible to do way better than that. As Chinaski said you can tweak pages, try different URLs, etc. to improve performance.

WIth pay per click the only terms people will find you for are those you have bid on. Paying for placement in a spidering engine will get you found for terms you never thought of. Watch your logs and you'll spot searches that will be good to bid on in the PPCs.

Regards from Manitoba,

Elisabeth Archambault

thanks,
    I think i would go with inktomi for 2 urls,

do they have to be http://www.mydomain.com/****.htm
    or can they be only http://www.mydomain.com/

whats the difference?

i have another website that %30 of its SE's hits are coming from aol/msn (and %60 from google and yahoo) although i didn't pay anything - is it usual?

ABW Ambassador
    For Inktomi you can list any page in your site that you want, as many as you're willing to pay for.

Remember a
    dwords has a stupid ranking system too...

@ WSE

I PMed you

You should be thinking long term.

Inktomi is the way to go. Spend 35 of the sixty at ink and the rest at wordtracker.com

I prefer Kanoodle for instant traffic. The two-tier feed that 7-search gives to their partners can eat up your listings while sending not as high quality traffic.

Of course, my real reason is that 7-search gave me hard time with one of my CC's which FindWhat manually cleared, and insisted that I change my CC addy to what they insisted on rather than manually clear my card :eek: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] :eek: . No, I haven't gone back even since getting my corporate card.

Still, what Heyder said makes a lot of sense!

Thanks for that post Webmistress. I joined Kanoodle Wednesday, made some bids, and my traffic jumped 5-fold in one day. No one was buying so I decreased my Kanoodle bids and started to sign with 7-search thinking I would get higher-quality traffic, but there were some things I didn't quite like about it's sign up process. I changed my mind and went with Inktomi instead.

Now that I know that Kanoodle is a better deal I will stick with that and some Adwords for now, and concentrate more on conversions at my site. I'll reconsider 7-search sometime in the future.

Now what about GoClick, compared to 7search and Kanoolde?

kanoodle is a ppc?

what is wordtracker exactly, i couldn't understand what they are offering for $20...
    just send me some good keywords for a week? :confused:

For $60, I would probably just spend it at EzineAdAuction.com in an attempt to raise $300-$500 or so. Then I would sign up at the following:

Google Adwords Select ($25 minimum???)
    Overture.com ($25 minimum)
    TargetBlaster.com ($100-$250 minimum)
    Sprinks.com ($100 minimum)
    FindWhat.com ($25 minimum???)

After those were set up, I would go back to EzineAdAuction.com and continue to pick up ads. BTW, I don't actually recommend bidding at EzineAdAuction. I wish I could support the site more, but it's much easier to use it as a service to find Ezines selling space. I contact them directly. It's much faster (you don't have to wait for the bidding to end) and usually cheaper. I just tell them I saw what their minimum bid was on EzineAdAuction.com and would purchase for that price if they are interested.

Actually, that isn't what I "would" do... It's what I actually do. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hmmmmm... cool link, Heather, but the areas that I most heavily market don't seem to have many e-zines. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

@eaglefire
    GoClick -- I haven't been able to get the hang of getting much traffic out of them. I do use them, and do get some traffic, but not what I get from Kanoodle.

@shamrock
    Wordtracker doesn't send you keyword phrases (you can get the weekly list, I store mine away for seasonal ditties, but that's not the same as finding niches).

They refuse to listen to me and get in here to market their product, so I don't know that I feel like writing a whole big to-do about them.

Elisabeth has a good article on pay per click search engines and a bit about how to use Wordtracker in it.

Basically, you can find out what words folks out there are actually using to search for the product you are marketing. Then you still have to know what to do with such dangerous knowledge :eek: .

Kanoodle rocks.. it's maybe not the only way you want to go though.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Kanoodle's minimum PPC is 1 cent, Overture's is 5.
    <LI>Overture is over-fussy about what gets listed, Kanoodle isn't.
    <LI>Overture has a minimum spend-per-month, Kanoodle doesn't.
    <LI>There's no delay with search terms, unlike FindWhat and Overture.
    <LI>Kanoodle isn't involved in scumware, unlike FindWhat[/list]

Best of all, your risk with Kanoodle is just $25, so that leaves you with $35 to spare!

@ Gordon, I replied...

Hey did someone say Adwords was 25 dollars? I thought it was 5 dollars, that's what I paid anyway?

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread