..say someone were really foolish, and allowed an apprentice (not Kenshin - the other one - the Devils Spawn one) to tinker with her pages, and this apprentice uploaded an entire site with the exact same titles and meta tags on each page, and say this collossal balls-up wasn't noticed until the Googlebot had been and gone - does anyone suppose this would get the domain banned by Google for spamming?

Not that anyone round here would be that stupid, of course. Um.

I

ABW Ambassador
    LOL- that's classic. The answer's no, by the way. Googlebot doesn't take much notice of meta tags anyway and as for the title, well just don't expect to rank too highly. But you won't get banned - doubt you'll even trip a filter.

markymark, any ideas how good is Google in recognising and penalising sites/pages with similar contents?

Wouldn't sites with co-branded versions at Yahoo Shopping be banned automatically for having similar contents?

Cheers,
    T2

Thanks Markymark! I guess I - erm, whoever, can quit kicking him now. But in future the guy is on a percentage *only*. I hear.

I mean, how can you misunderstand the following -

"Don't use Dreamwearver templates. I repeat do not use Dreamweaver templates.

Dreamweaver templates = nono. I do not want you to use The Templates of Dreamweaver.

What is it we are not going to use??? Thats right! - the Templates of Doom, erm, Dreamweaver."

(Some time later)

"What the **** have you done to my site you little ******? You didn't use a template did you? No, it is *not* fixed now. Go look. No I didn't up load anything I DID NOT. No, I didn't. Listen. I did *not* upload anything. I didn't upload. 'Uploading' is what I 'didn't' do. Fix it. Yes you did. BTW - you didn't use a template, did you? Good.

What the **** is THIS on the server then??? "template.htm" Hm. I wonder how that got there after everything I said about no ******* templates??? Me neither."

I'm not sure how to get over the concept of the non-use of DW templates (until one knows what one is doing way better than I do), without getting myself arrested.

Next weeks exciting episode - "How not to have your SE ranking given away by unfortunate external linking strategies. Bring your own Big Stick."

I

ABW Ambassador
    You can still use individual page tags using DW templates.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    &lt; !-- #BeginEditable "keywd" --&gt;
    (meta name="keywords" content="Keywords")
    &lt; !-- #EndEditable --&gt;
    &lt; !-- #BeginEditable "descr" --&gt;
    (meta name="description" content="description")
    &lt; !-- #EndEditable --&gt;
    </pre>

had to change the brackets to get the code to show.

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Wayder ]

Thanks, I'll keep that for future reference. But at this stage I'm not passing it on. He'll think 'OK I'm an expert now' which is what got his ass kicked in the first place.

I

ABW Ambassador
    Ex = Has been
    Spurt = Drip under pressure

= exspurt [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

It does not mean that you need to stop kicking him, HE does not know it isn’t such a big problem, right? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Make him worry about it for a while.

Theres like, four hours of arguing for every one hour of coding. His pages look very good, but he'll argue about every last little thing.

Every time he f***s up he'll try starting an argument about something only vaguely related, as a distraction from the fact he f***ed up. I've known him for years so I'm wise to it, but what I posted above was no exaggeration.

Anyway he's locked out of the server now so I can fix up anything not right myself. - Thats another thing, he'll wail his head off if I want to fix something, but can't seem to fix it himself.

Taurus sun / Scorpio moon. For those who understand these things. I've yet to find a strategy that keeps the creativity yet dispenses with the tantrums.

I

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hm, it makes me think twice about hiring this stuff done...

ABW Ambassador
    Lower overheads as well.

It's tougher to feed two (or more).

afaik, google takes one of the sites probably the newer one and dumps other one from the index, or puts the 2nd so low that it can get no hits [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ps. been there done that hehe.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread