Ugh. I signed up with Overture before realizing that they were so ridiculously strict about the pages they deign to accept (the one they turned down that really irks me is an art gallery using images from an affiliate, but which has original content that I took a lot of time researching and writing). Anyhow, even after turning down that page, it is showing up on Overture searches (usually on page 2) and getting hits! And I'm not even paying for this (still trying to figure out where I'm gonna throw my deposit money, URL-wise before cancelling their stupid, no-aol-anymore service).

So what's the deal? Where does Overture get the rest of their listings after they run out of paying customers for a particular search?

inktomi is it?

Could be... same page (along with a couple others) is registered w/Inktomi.

Overture definitely seems like a waste of time - but most of you probably know that already!

ABW Ambassador
    Probably Inktomi -- I get lots of Overture hits from my Inktomi listings. Which makes me absolutely gleeful since Overture and I parted on less than pleasant terms. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Well, I recently got three sales from about 1.00 worth of advertising on one link... it is a great way to advertise if you marry a good keyphrase to a selling page, 45 dollars isn't bad from that? I just need more good keywords... their inventory, even though good in general, is to low for my product [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I've let it run dry right enough though, they just don't inspire customer loayalty, at all... and adwords is crap, what can I try next?

[ 05-09-2002: Message edited by: WebSearchEngines.net ]

i have an overture question also -

is it possible to use overture, to find out how many times a certain phrase is being searched each month?

Yes,

Go here:
    https://signup.overture.com/s/dtc/si...listings.jhtml

Click on the Search Term Suggestion link. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Shamrock,
    http://www.overture.com/d/USm/search/tools/bidtool/ is the direct link to it and the suggestion tool is http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/

Haiko

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Probably Inktomi -- I get lots of Overture hits from my Inktomi listings. Which makes me absolutely gleeful since Overture and I parted on less than pleasant terms. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK that explains the Overture traffic I'm seeing in my logs this week.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>since Overture and I parted on less than pleasant terms. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> There's a lot of that going around. They have been known to refuse listings from people who were selling their OWN products!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There's a lot of that going around. They have been known to refuse listings from people who were selling their OWN products! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard they were infected with W32.ShootInFoot.idiot.B virus

thanks, how can i take advantage of these tools for google and inktomi optimization?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The main thing those tools can help with is letting you know which words have enough searches to bother optimizing for.

Once you get a list up, go over to Google and check out the competition for the terms. There should be some words/phrases that get a fair-to-good amount of searches which you can snag a decent ranking on. Just which terms to bother with depends on the category, your chance of getting a good rank in it (your skill vs. competitors), and how many people are searching on it.

Don't forget to think up variants of the main keyword. Unlike Wordtracker, variants which do not contain the original keyword somewhere don't show up on the OverSure Tool. (For instance, if you type "car" it won't show you "automobile" keywords--you'll have to type in "automobile" to see those variants.)

BTW, I am gleeful to see those Inktomi-powered hits from OverSure, too.

ok, thanks :cool:

For future reference, Inktomi's list of sites using Inktomi:
    http://www.inktomi.com/partners/oem/index.html

thanks!

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread