Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Does anybody still make money on the 'net? I know that big companys like Yahoo, Ebay, Oveture, etc. but does anybody here make over $7,000?

Re: but does anybody here make over $7,000?

if you are talking about a $7,000 a day then for sure not me, but that would be a close weekly rate.

I meant a monthly income, what do you do to come close to $7k a week?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>what do you do to come close to $7k a week<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They probably use their initiative :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They probably use their initiative <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

+ diligence + HARD WORK.

What I do is build websites that are very targeted, then work them to the first page of the results in the search engines. Then when that is done... repeat [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: DebtCafe ]

ABW Ambassador
    Yes. Many of us here have been able to quit our jobs and do this business full-time and live very comfortably from it.

At 7k a week I can understand the 'cafe' but why the 'debt'?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I

DebtCafe, I dont quite understand what you do to make $7k weekly

ABW Ambassador
    I think what DebtCafe does is fairly simple to understand -- DebtCafe WORKS.

Work? Tell me it's not so... I hate work.

I apologize in advance if this is an inappropriate question. I understand taht to make money you have to spend money (advertising, hosting, etc). Can I ask what is a good amount to spend? I understand taht the scope of site, financial goals, and target audience are probably very different for each person here but i'm just trying to get a general idea. Like for example, if you have a goal of making 2k/month, how much advertising dollars would you be wiling to spend? And how would this change depending on your goals? I'm just curious....

@phatbargains:
    $2k/month is a pretty realistic figure (from one who is aiming much higher right now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ).

I have had really strapped folks start on free servers with only free traffic and then reinvest that money into domain names and hosting. However, if you have a little money to invest, it does help. I'd say that you can get cheap hosting, but I have yet to hear of really reliable hosting for much under $15/month. You might want to check out THMedia's offer in the special ABW offers. I'd go for the plan number 4 with your own IP, but I'm very territorial [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

I think Cedric mentioned spending less than $100/month on ppcs. I also spend much less than that, and rely mostly on free traffic. I still have ppc's though, and I truly appreciate the instant traffic to help me hone my ad copy to increase CTR and CR. I only put ppc ads on pages I am confidant can actually make sales, and would recommend to anyone to read up here by doing searches before placing ads. I don't pay for ads to merchants who pay less than a 10% commission since I've not had the kind of conversion rate on lower commissions I'd need to support that financially.

So to sum:
    domain name: $10+ /year
    Hosting: $15/month
    ppc: $75+/month.

Another point: Aim for around 35-40 successful sales pages for about +/- $1,000 per month. YMMV, but that keeps your expectations reasonable and the amount you will have to WORK in view.

Yes, it's work, but so is breathing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] :eek: :rolleyes: .

Oh, yeah, time is money, right? Well, look at free traffic in two month frames. A new page may take up to two months to show up in the Google index from day of being linked in.

Warning: I don't make $7k/week yet [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

LookMonster.Com

What I think the problem with most that start in affiliate marketing is that they build a site, put up a bunch of affiliate links, then wonder how to get traffic.

What you should be doing is finding 1 service that you want to promote, find "good" merchants that provide that service or product.

Next start building very targeted pages for the search engines around the product or service. In short the last thing you need to do is build a pretty looking webpage. The first thing you do is learn how to get good search engine placements, then get a site put together for the traffic.

do you think it is necessery to know programming languages like asp, shtml and all that stuff if you really want to make big money? :eek:

I think the best way to get started for the least amount of out go, money wise, is to join an affilate program like Roibot, or ClickBank, or Marlon Sanders or someplace thathas pre-written linked sales letters.

Then just send traffic to these places.

All you need is an email address and someway to get online at least a couple of times per week.

Then simply get your affiliate links and go place the pre-written ads with your link in as many FREE classified sites you can find.

If you work at it for a month or two, you will sell enough so that you can buy a domain name, get a hosting account and go from there.

ABW Ambassador
    No, but it's probably a good idea to know the difference between a programming language and shtml. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

You can make money on a plain vanilla html site... lots of drudgery and time can be saved by knowing how to do simple includes and how to set up simple scripts.

But required? No.

Server-side includes (SSI) are the best thing I ever learned how to do... took me about five minutes to figure it out, once I realized there really was nothing remotely intimidating about it.

Asp. on the other hand... intimidates me! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

but doesn't it mess up the page for the google crawl??

if not, where can i easily learn how to do them?

i have dreamweaver 4 - does it have any special feature for ssl?

No. It can't even be seen by Google. It's "server" side includes. Everything gets included before it gets served up to the surfer (or the GoogleBot).

Sorry; you'll just have to do what the rest of us did to learn how. Go to Google. Type in "server side includes" and click on a link or two. Then start reading and playing with a test page on your own site until you "get it".

Don't join MLM to make money, that is for sure! I have tried it all, from $5-$200 ones don't do it!

But if you want to make money, don't talk to me because I dont! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Don't join MLM to make money, that is for sure! I have tried it all, from $5-$200 ones don't do it!
    But if you want to make money, don't talk to me because I dont!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you listen to everything Fred has to say, and filter out the chaff, you will gain a lot of insight into what needs to be done to make some money.

He's a pretty sharp guy.

(P.S. - I don't have a taste for the MLM stuff myself)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>but doesn't it mess up the page for the google crawl??
    if not, where can i easily learn how to do them?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SSI shouldn't mess up the crawl because it is rendered as HTML in the browser.

For example, say you have a file called "footer.html" that you want to include in your page. If you were to view the source code of a page that had SSI's in it, instead of seeing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    < ! - - #include file="footer.html" - - >
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you would see the actual content of the footer.html file as text and HTML. So would the search engine. (I had to leave spaces between some elements of the code because of UBB so it won't work for you to cut-paste that)

Dreamweaver has some SSI extensions that you can download from Macromedia Exchange. I find them to be a bit of a PITA, it is just as easy to hand-code them, but it will get you off to a good start.

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

ABW Ambassador
    Shamrock said: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>do you think it is necessery to know programming languages like asp, shtml and all that stuff if you really want to make big money? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Not at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. Not necessary, but it can save you one heck of a lot of time once you've learned.
    SSI isn't really programming however, and you can save yourself alot of time just learning how to use that. Another thing that goes a long way is just learning how to use your development environment -Dreamweaver/Ultradev, FrontPage, etc. It can take almost as much time to become proficient in those as in learning a language, but if you are not inclined to programming, the development environment can do alot of the work for you by generating the code.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast