Hi all, novice webmaster here. After many months of hard work, have finally finished my website. Next step, get some traffic! I have heard all kinds of ideas on where to begin. Some say to manually submit to as many search engines as possible, others say to just buy a automated search engine submission package. Any ideas you guys can provide? I have a very limited budget. Also, I did manually submit to a few search engines. If I decided to buy a package (which then automatically submitted to the same search engine), would I get banned for having my website submitting twice? that's the last thing I would want. Eager for your thoughts. Thanks all!

Having been to your website, you probably get paid PER click on an affiliate network(Shareasale).
    Well you can start an Affiliate program yourself, to guarantee yourself clicks. Click program, ie 3 cents per click to your homepage or (This is what I would do!!) I would have a programmer find on on ScriptLance.Com to make you a affiliate program, lets say a website is computer related, then you would pay the affiliate to post your bargains!(CPM is good, also clickxchange is great for small CPM program)so then it would say ie Top Bargains for "Computers" then it would list 3 or 4 and you would get paid, right on his page! You can get your name out too.(I think all that would cost around $400, script, clickxchange to start then once you get your money back you can then you can keep half for yourself then save half for next weeks affiliate commissions!!!
    Submit your site to inktomi.com they get billions of searches, and I think its only a Yearly fee! I think $70.

That was me Ebook!

Optimize for Google, buy some pages in Inktomi (use PositionTech) and set up an affiliate program. Don't bother submitting to thousands of search engines. Only a handful (Google and MSN mainly) are worth anything. You can try the pay-per-click engines; some here use them and have success. Key is to bid on lots of keywords.

Your site is in a very competitive category that has a lot of competition. The best way to get traffic to this type of site is to pay for it as the others have suggested. PPC search engines and your own affiliate program are good suggestions. If you haven’t yet formulated what keywords you are going to focus on, you will be wasting your money at Inktomi until you do so.

Sorry, I really can't agree with recommending to a newbie to start up their own affiliate program. C'mon all of you long time ABWer's, you know how we affiliates expect great support, an affiliate manager who knows what they're doing, as well as an affiliate program that KNOWS it can convert.

That said, it goes back to
    <LI>learn to optimize for Google
    <LI>learn to optimize for Inktomi and pay for a page or two
    <LI>Put up some ppc ads
    <LI>Get busy link exchanging with like sites
    <LI>Hand submit to only the top SE's at Spider-Food's convenient page

Not necessarily in that order.

Good point about the affiliate program. Probably ought to wait on that.

Thanks for the answers guys, yeah I'm a bit nervous about starting an affiliate program. Especially since I have no idea how good my site really is. Anyway, I was also wondering if it would be dangerious to use a automatic submission service when I've already manually submitted to some search engines (dont want to be banned for submitting twice).

Hmm you're definitely in the super-competitive league there!

As a rule, you'll only get traffic from Google if you have content (which you don't), get lucky on the hitherto-unspotted-keyword or have a shedload of inbound links. You won't get a listing in the Open Directory either [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

My personal favorite is Kanoodle as a PPC engine, but you probably need to try many different PPCs. Bid low on high-margin items though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

auto submission services will do you more harm than good no matter what you've already done.

If you want into dang near every search engine just exchange links with a couple of us and wait about a month for results.

If anyone is still getting crawled by google yet this month you could get lucky and be included next week. Googlebot left my site late last week so I don't know if it's done with this index or not.

There is a thread called serious link exchanges in the Midnight Cafe http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...c&f=1&t=000876

Let's say i have a website selling bonsai trees, why would i want to exchange links with other bonsai selling websites?

if the visitor is interested in buying a bonsai tree, and went to the other website first, he would probably buy through there, and if my visitors would go to his website, there is a chance that i would lose the sale.....

Because Google's ranking algorhythm favours co-operation instead of competition.

Its very New Age.

Similarly themed sites that link together both benefit by the co-operation and together, all else being equal, will rank higher than sites who do not co-operate.

When Google sees an inbound link from a site it likes, it thinks your site is more important.

Its not so much that you are helping your competition - you are helping *some* of your competition. They help you in turn, and the only ones who lose are those who want the whole pie for themselves.

Then theres the fact that not every bonsai site out there is *selling* them.

And, try to remember not every customer is male. If all you ever address is some special interest minority, you are throwing away the majority of your potential customers for no good reason.

I

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread