ABW Ambassador
    Just did an Inktomi submission for the first time. Figured I'll submit just one page for now and take advantage of the 48-hour refresh to experiment with optimization, etc. before I submit more.
    There is a "substitute URL" feature in the admin area. Sure, this is "plain english", so maybe I'm posing a STUPID question, but as they say: "If it looks to good to be true, then it probably isn't"
    My question is this: Does this mean that if I am not satisfied with the results that I get for this page, I can simply change to another page instead of placing another paid submission? If so, can this "substitute URL" be from a different root domain as well?

THANKS!

Deelz not only is it true but at times you can screw it up so bad that you'll have three urls listed all at the same time. (not that I would do something like that)

If you make your changes on the weekends you'll most of the time end up with all submitted urls for the next week.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(not that I would do something like that)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, guys like us who are often still up at wee hours of the morning do tend to do things like that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the tip!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Yeah you can switch url regardless of domain too. Officially you are only allowed to switch domains within a month of submitting the original, but in practice, they don't notice.

I

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Icicle. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm hoping a few inktomi submissions will help to compensate for the loss of traffic when I cancel with Gobble Upwords and Fraudwhat. :mad:

Gobble Upwords and Fraudwhat. Love it!

What about "Fraudwhat" - I recently signed up with them?

ABW Ambassador
    It's sad.
    Findwhat was one of my best producers for a while. I actually got 8 to 10 times as much traffic from them as from Overture on pretty much the same search terms (and lower cost per click, of course)
    I still get the good traffic from them, but now they, or somebody they provide search feeds to, is generating fraudulent clicks.
    When I recently added a few new listings to my account, I got a flurry of hits (about 100) all within about an 18-hour period, from a bunch of "search engines" that were all identical, but each using a different domain name. About one or two hits from each one. In each case it was from very obscure search terms, from pages 60 to 70 of the search results. This is more than just a little bit suspicious, especially when you consider that after the second day there were no more clicks at all coming from ANY of these "search engines" for ANY search terms at all.
    For my own part, I get enough good targeted traffic from Findwhat to justify keeping my account with them. But it doesn't feel good.
    I wouldn't recommend not using them, just keep in mind that you might get zapped a little bit.
    Just be sure to set all initial bids at 1 cent, then make your increases a day or two AFTER the listings go online. That way if you get zapped it will be only a penny at a time.

Listen guys.

The 'net is a commodity - information on the net is a commodity, networks are a commodity - search engines are a commodity.

If something is a commodity all the value added BS on the planet will not change that fact.

None of the search engines can make money paying exhorbitant salaries and wages to geeks who are 'socially challenged.' As a result they are scrambling to try and figure out why they a bleeding red ink and mega bucks.

The answer is simple. They are trying to sell a commodity for more than it's worth and no one is going to pay their price no matter what they do.

You really *do* know what you are talking about. Its scary.

Yeah the net favors the multitalented. If one person can do the designing, merchant finding and optimization they have it sussed. If not, they end up paying exhorbitant prices to someone else to do it for them.

And you know what Machiavelli thought of mercenaries...

I

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: Icicle ]

ABW Ambassador
    Well, an unexpected surprise. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Under a keyphrase that was costing me $1.00+ per click to hang in the top three on Oversure ("Oversure", in deference to Fred), rated #8 out of 62,477, with only 3 directory listings and the 3 Overture feeds on top.
    Should I bother with trying to optimize the page? Price-wise, my offers are better than those who rated higher in the listings.

Just one thing to consider when comparing overture paid listings traffic to inks' free listings is that no matter what you do you will never get the yahoo traffic which is the biggest part of overture now. Right?

ABW Ambassador
    The value of that Yahoo traffic depends entirely on how much you have to pay to get it. You're better off without it if showing up on Yahoo costs you more than you can earn back from the traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for waking me up on that point Heyder.
    I was so enthralled about getting the exposure for $39/year as opposed to same amount per week, that I didn't even think about the yaaho factor.
    I think I've got to stop staying up til 4 AM, it's catching up with me.

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder, Icicle - Thanks again for the tips

Buckworks - Right on; this submission has already paid for itself with less than two days in the index. Usually get about 2 to 3 pops on this offer per $30 to $40 in Overture clicks in an average week, already got 2 from MSN today.

Why did I overlook this for so long? My head must be made of bone.

I've never subscribed to Overture, but I saw their bot in my logviewer last week. That was only on 1 page however. Now I am seeing referrals from Overture in my logs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm not complaining, but how can this be? I'm using paid Lycos, Inktomi, a few Google adwords, and Kanoodle. Any clue which one of these Overture is picking up on?

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe you have an affiliate that got an affiliate link listed?
    I know it's sort of against their rules, and their editors usually screen these out for rejection, but I have had some luck in getting mirror sites listed.

I don't have an affiliate program if that's what you mean. Then again, their are links back to this particular site from sites I've designed or installed my scripts on. Do you think that could do it? These were actual Overture search strings that found individual Tiger product pages on my site - that really surprised me - tho like I said, I ain't complainin' [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    ???No idea.
    Don't know much myself, just seemed reasonable that a bot/spider could have been following an affiliate link.
    I've never seen any Overture bot in my visitor logs, at least not that I can remember.

overture uses intomi results as well so it came from there. I get overture visits on a regular basis.

Thanks DebtCafe. I want to make sure I don't undo whatever it was I was doing right [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Bad news:

"Since the launch of Inktomi's Search/Submit program, subscribers
    have had the ability to swap URLs with other URLs regardless of
    domain. Effective June 1, Search/Submit customers will have
    the ability to swap URLs, regardless of domain, within the first
    30 days of their subscription. After 30 days, subscribers will
    only have the ability to swap URLs out for URLs within the same
    root domain.

If you would like to swap out poor performing URLs with other URLs,
    regardless of the root domain, be sure to do so within the first
    30 days of your subscription or by June 1."

from positiontech newsletter...

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] :mad: :eek:

I see their point to an extent because it would be easy to abuse it otherwise by submitting and swapping URLs for all your clients on just one account.

I hope that when they say "within 30 days of subscribing" they mean "within 30 days of adding a new URL" and not within 30 days of when you first opened your account with them.

OTOH - although I know it adds up, $25 a year to promote even a poorly-performing page is peanuts. That the same as about 2 1/2 weeks of a 10-word classified ad in a weekly neighborhood newspaper.

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread