Hi!

Do Americans call 'cushions' cushions, or do they call them 'decorative pillows'?

I

ABW Ambassador
    Cushions are most likely part of the sofa, special tie-on dealies for hard chairs (seat cushions), something used on patio furniture, or something to go under your neck.

For the type of pillow that adorns a sofa (you know the 16-22" square type), we're MUCH more likely to opt for "decorative pillow", "throw pillow" and the much less common "toss pillow".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>cushions<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you sit on it, it's a "cushion". If you just look at it, or it goes behind your back or under your head, it's a pillow. Under your neck - it's back to being a "cushion"

ABW Ambassador
    Although, if a seated guest is looking uncomfortable, it's entirely possible that we'll say "Do you need a cushion for your back?" while offering them a decorative pillow. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone!

I

ABW Ambassador
    I have "throw pillows" on my sofa [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

when I put them on the coffee table and place my swollen ankles (9 mo. pregnant) upon them they become "cushions". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: MsMarySunshine ]

I'm always having this trouble, especially with soft furnishings [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I'll have to come over there and teach you lot to speak proper, like what I do.

Erm, is a 'comforter' the same as a 'duvet'?

And what on Earth is a 'sham'?

I

ABW Ambassador
    *Technically* a duvet is a comforter, but most people talk about "duvet covers" which is a decorative/protective encasement for your non-decorative comforter.

And a sham is a duvet cover for a pillow. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Or, in other words, a decorative/protective encasement... it is NOT what you sleep on, though. While you keep the duvet cover on at all times, the pillow sham comes off for sleeping.

Unless you purchase separate pillows for decoration and sleeping.

And now I'm becoming frightened by just how much I know about these things.

ABW Ambassador
    "And now I'm becoming frightened by just how much I know about these things."

Cedric you surprised me too with all your decorating knowledge.
    Cazzie

>While you keep the duvet cover on at all times, the pillow sham comes off for sleeping.

???

You Americans have Too Much Time on your Hands.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I

ABW Ambassador
    cazzie: several months ago, I didn't know all of this stuff -- but now, I'm in affiliate marketing and decorating stuff sells, lol (a fact I happened onto quite by accident).

Icicle: and you didn't even ask about the difference between a dust ruffle and a bedskirt.*

*I don't think there is one, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Funny you should metion that Cedric. I have been sat with Mary, my latest apprentice, pouring over the Google results for 'bed ruffle' and 'bed skirt' and after half an hours research we decided they were probably the same thing.

I think we have them in the UK, but I don't know if they have a name or not. In fact, pretty much everything I know about housekeeping comes from building the pages neccessary to sell the stuff.

And I sincerely hope that once this site is built the only further experience I have with 'skirts for beds' and 'cases for pillows that you take off each night and put on again each morning' is watching the commissions they cause from people who have some kind of genuine fascination with these things.

Can you believe someone actually patented a design for a bed skirt?

I

ABW Ambassador
    Frankly, I've never even understood this obsessive need so many people to have to make the bed every single day (much less to adorn it).

Oh, and when I was in Jr High, we had a German exchange student living with us. When he first arrived, he stripped the sheets off of the bed EVERY day to be washed. My mother, who worked full time, let it go for a few days and then said - STOP IT. He was appalled. He got over it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 05-18-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread