Last Google update I lost all my pages of one of the top level domains, I have. I have been cruising Google waiting for it to come back - yesterday I came across 3 of my webpages up under someone elses url name. What can I do? Everything, all the html, all the links even the email address is still under my .com - I felt like I was looking in a mirror!

I dont know much about this but I would do a whois search for the domain name, get the IP address, it might also give you the hosting company's name, then send an email to the hosting company.

Thanks, Gordon, for the input - why on earth would someone do such a thing, I mean, all my links are there, my dot com, my email address the whole shmeer!

ABW Ambassador
    Abigail,
    They do it because they look at your site and it appears to them that you are making a million dollars a day from your site. If they copied it exactly, then they too could be making a million dollars a day..some of them are idiots though and forget to remove that other information. If you want, you could send me the info on the other site, and I will talk to the host. We've developed relationships with many, many hosts, and could probably have something done about it. Just PM me if your interested.

Tom Pyles

I've had many a site pulled for Xeroxing as well as for unauthorized use of copyrighted material from my sites.

It is illegal. If you contact the offender's host you should have no problems getting the site pulled.

ABW Ambassador
    Eaglefire....heck tmd5 got her site pulled for using the word V***** on her site...Shouldn't be any issue to get sites like this pulled

This thing happens a lot.

It's in the TOS of almost every hosting company on the net that a site can be suspended for "Theft of Intellectual Property".

I've had this happen alot with content. It helps to put a copyright notice at the bottom of your pages - but it isn't necessary, once you publish your site you are protected under US copyright law and probably internationally. The only reason I use a notice it is that some of the pilferers were kids who just didn't know better... seeing the notice at the bottom of the page avoids some hassles.

Back in '97 some kid copied the editorial content from one of my sites, photography from several professional Gymn photographers I know, and re-published it on GeoCities. Then he published his URL to all the message boards. Since he wouldn't remove the pifered content I contacted GeoCities, had the site pulled, and as soon as they released his URL back to the pool I grabbed it and put a site up telling everyone that the previous owner was a plagerist and listing links to the sites of the owners of the material.

I was such a meanie back then. :eek:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eaglefire:
    ... I contacted GeoCities, had the site pulled, and as soon as they released his URL back to the pool I grabbed it and put a site up telling everyone that the previous owner was a plagerist and listing links to the sites of the owners of the material.

I was such a meanie back then. :eek:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OOOOH, I love that! The evil side of me thinks you are brilliant! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

LOL! I just checked - GeoCities left my site up there! LOL! I haven't touched it in something like 5 years!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Kris isn't here anymore. He had a very nice looking website but unfortunately most of his material, both photographic and written, was reprinted from other websites without permission from the owners. Many people emailed him asking him to remove the material and he refused. To add insult to injury, he had a whole page of awards for website design. Apparently the people issuing the awards didn't include originality in their criteria. Geocities finally ousted him - thank you Geocities!

I decided to move into his vacant URL and to provide a list of links to all the wonderful websites he stole material from . This way the webmasters and photographers whose work he benefitted from can get some attention and credit for all their hard work. Perhaps some of the awards people will take notice and give credit where credit is due.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh - and it's in Google - LOL! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    jeeez, does it get any traffic?

I always put a little hidden code in all of my web sites, a certain sequence of lettes or numbers in the Meta Tag area so I can search for that code on the Search Engines to see if anyone has copied part of my site. It works great. I then contact the pirate and tell him I will persue legal action if he/she does not remove the pirated content from their site. Works most of the time.

Good idea 7-days.

I recently got a site pulled from freeservers.com for copyright violation. I was pretty impressed, they have a report abuse form and took it all very seriously. The site didn't comply, so I re-reported it and they pulled it right away. Not bad for a free outfit.

OK I've done a little more looking here - it looks like this place has picked up my url, linked to it directly, has it coming up under their url along with a top piece linking back to their shopping site - the pages they have picked up from me are content based displaying my merchant links. This is the place http://www.worldsearch.com - it looks like they fill their data base with links from other websites - also take note of the interesting looking "dmoz" banner at the bottom of their mainpage.

Maybe I shouldn't be overly concerned?? However, it seems odd that my entire site was dropped from Google and this one shows up with my pages?

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Abigail ]

@7Days -

That is a great idea. I will have to remember to use that from now on.

@elbowcreek

I don't know if the site still pulls traffic. I never bothered to put a counter on it and can't remember my login info to put one on it now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Abigail - PM'd you

Many years ago all of Sanfords.Net was stolen!! That was five years of work for me at the time. The fool didn't even change "author" in the meta tags. I had no trouble getting it taken down. However, there were other pages that needed a pass word to get removed and he wouldn't co-operate. But, trust me the thief had a few nights lost sleep over it. I publicized just what he had done along with his name and picture and e-mail address. And, he had his wife's resume posted to the net with his home address and everything on it. I had saved a copy of that. When he got scared, he pulled it down. I reposted it and wrote him a note saying that I had seen that it was down and to help with the "error" I had reposted it for her. LOL I think he really caught heck from his wife or was afraid he would. He was suddenly very co-operative with me!!
    That was nasty but he stole five years of my life's work!!

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

Some food for thought.

What can prevent other people from copying our webpages, and claiming theirs to be the original (assuming that they had changed all personal information found on the webpages)?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nighthawk:
    Some food for thought.

What can prevent other people from copying our webpages, and claiming theirs to be the original (assuming that they had changed all personal information found on the webpages)?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Encrypt your HTML!

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    I looked into this for Abigail. In fact, her site was NOT stolen. She became alarmed by seeing a site as a referrer in her stats. She went to that site, and viola, there is her site with a different url. Turns out it was a search site that opened it's results in a frame. I searched for TH Media, and found my site listed. Clicked on it, and a page opened that had the search engine's header, and my page in the bottom frame. Think of how Ask Jeeves does it (if they still do it that way). It was just the sites opening in a frame, and not stolen content, etc.

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: TH Media ]

I have found that the following notice at the bottom of my pages has prevented anyone from stealing them:

Notice: Feel free to copy anything you see on this site and use it on your own site.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Encrypt your HTML!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haiko, How can i do it? with javascripts?

Don't forget the wonders of the Internet Archive if you need to establish that you had the content first [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone.

Dynamoo

yep, web archive is a great help in proving who's first [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread