Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi all. I am just about ready to freak out.....I just determined that my site was deleted from the ODP because of an affiliate link issue. (It seems the ODP is now deleting sites consisting mainly of affiliate links in their opinion). This comes just as I am starting to get some very very nice traffic from Google and Yahoo. My question - will all my traffic go away once Google updates? Has anyone been down this path! I feel like my whole internet existence is in danger! Please help!!! Thanks.

I don't think you have much to worry about.

Google uses odp for their directory but once you get googled your site is in their search index. From then on it's not a relationship any longer.

I've also seen google directory lisitings that are not in odp which is a mystery in itself.

You are likely to loose your directory listings but not search results.

ABW Ambassador
    If your site was deleted from ODP, and subsequently deleted from Google "directory", there is still a good chance (99%?) that it will still be included in Google "web" searches.
    Several of my sites that never got included in ODP, and one that got deleted from ODP, continue to get very nice traffic from Google and Yahoo.
    Good Luck [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Heyder-
    As far a Google directory listings that are "not in ODP", there seems to be a lag time between ODP exclusion and Google directory exclusion. My site that got deleted from ODP remained in the Google directory for about 2 months after ODP exclusion.

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: Deelz ]

I know of one at google directory remaining for the last 9 months with no opd lisiting to be found. Maybe it's a special deal or something. Considering the category I wouldn't be suprised if a little cash for forked over.

But you will loose some link pop. that's coming from ODP.

Affiliate link farms aren't allowed in the ODP so you were lucky to slip through.

Google has a real problem with "Orphan" sites - that is sites that aren't referred to by anything else. If your only reference was the ODP one, then you'll become an "Orphan" and the Googlebot won't be able to find you.. this will mean that you'll most likely drop out of the index.

Also you can drop out if your site was down when Googlebot came round - I lost a site in this update because I was moving servers and the bot came right in the middle of it and determined that the site was down.

You know....I have a real problem with the term "affiliate link farm". Yes, my site has affiliate links, but its not like I'm a crminal or something. And I put a minimum of 6 hours a day, if not more, into my site, every day. The ODP's stance on this is just ridiculous, and unfair. There are still many link farms listed in the ODP, which again, is unfair to all the other sites that do not get in. I really wish Google would re-evaluate their use of ODP results. I personally know of one person who was given a category to edit (pretty easily I might add), added their own site and deleted a lot of the competition. When it comes to getting listed in there, people will do just about anything, and so far he is still up to what he is doing, untouched by any staff at DMOZ.

ABW Ambassador
    ccme,

Welcome to the extreme bias from the academics/elitists of the web. Bias toward affiliates has reached an all time high. The web, supposedly being a frontier for all to find opportunity, has been closed off to some of us by the the elitist snobs that try to control the web for their own personal gain. The ODP is definitely in bed with Google. I might even go as far to say that they are now one in the same. Google is definitely calling the shots.

You can still get found through search engines. You will need to exchange links, especially with sites of the same theme as yours. After being crapped on by the ODP, and others on the web that are biased toward affiliates, I will say that it will come back to haunt them. Sooner or later it will blow up in their face, and when it does, I will be there to gloat in their suffering.

Shopping by consumers on the internet, by any means, helps our economy. When Amazon loses affiliates because of these bozos, they and other retailers will suffer. When the economy loses, we all lose. But, I suppose we'll still have that great, informative site on mammals!

Well Google and the ODP both have the right to decide what goes in their search engines, and when I go to google, I don't look for things to buy I look for information, they are trying to provide quality sites for their searchers because they know that most people look for info when they go there. It won't blow up in their face until they start removing sites with content just because they have affiliate links in them. ccme I wouldn't worry about losing the ODP as long as you have links pointing to your sites from other sites in Google, and since you're already included.

ccme, I wasn't necessarily defending the stance against "affiliate link farms", however that's the terminology used in the ODP.

I've raised the matter of affiliates in the forums, and quite a lot of editors are of the opinion that certain affiliate stores do add value (especially if they're themed - e.g. they sell everything gnome-related on the web).

What qualifies as a link farm is hard to say, and ultimately that judgement is down to the editor. But basically if you have no or minimal content and lots of affiliate links you should be rejected. Individual editors will have different opinions, which is why sometimes one editor approves a site and another rejects it.

Also, if you have genuine evidence of abuse by an ODP editor, you should feed it back to the ODP staff.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "I don'tlook for things to buy I look for information, they are trying to provide quality sites for their searchers because they know that most people look for info when they go there.~qball0213"

How'd those "I"s suddenly turn into "MOST PEOPLE"?!

Gee, from the looks of my traffic from Google and Yahoo, there are lots-o-people out there looking to buy! Who are you kidding?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes; when a Yahoo uses a search string of "Red Sox Cap", he is not looking for the history of the royal and benevolent order of Red Sox cap wearers. He is looking to BUY a Red Sox cap.
    The same holds true for most retail products.

Of course, "most people" who are looking for just "information" will use google by default.

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: Deelz ]

Google can do what they want and I certainly am grateful for what traffic I got from them the past year but I have never depended on them or any other SE for the bulk of my traffic and never will.I've never paid for much traffic in the past but I'm going to start buying more traffic if I can get the trageted traffic I need.I've seen a lot of changes in the past five years or so with SEs and look to see a lot more.I think it will all come down to the fact that if you are going to play you are going to have to pay and to be honest with you if you make any kind of money at all online you need to spend some on advertising and the like because the IRS will eat your lunch if you don't.I see no reason (if you're making some coin) not to go first class on everything.I rather spend it on my business than to give it to Uncle Sam.Just my opinion but I didn't spend enough last year on my online expenses,I realized this when I did my taxes this year.
    As far as searching Google or anybody else if I want info that what I want to find but by the same token if I want to spend money I want to find somewhere to spend it.I think there's enough room for both on the SEs.
    Concerning content I think that's in the eye of the beholder.I think it was Abe Lincoln who said that "A lawyer's time and advice are his stock in trade" well I'm not a lawyer but information is my business so I guess that would apply to me also,but what do I know?

I was in Google for four or five months before my site got listed in the ODP.

An ODP listing is useful because:

1) It will help Googlebot find your site if you don't have many other inbound links (not an issue in your case, since you're already in Google), and...

2) The ODP description will be displayed under your home page's search results in Google, in addition to the sometimes obscure Google "snippet."

But you don't need an ODP listing to do well in Google, and--depending on how far down you are in the ODP's directory hierarchy--an ODP listing may not even confer much pagerank.

Bottom line: Don't worry about it. Just concentrate on not playing any SEO tricks that might get you into trouble with Google. :-)

Big Chuck,

It's not the academic elitist who control the web. I deal with them everyday. They don't have enough brains or knowledge to be a problem on the web. Most are so scared of losing their jobs, the web is about the last thing they would ever think about.

The problem you refer to is a problem of geekdom. Geeks in general are clueless about people and think anything and everything should be free on the net.

Because in their world everything is FREE.
    They just get everything they need from Daddy and Mommy. They need a new 'puter, they whine to Mommy and she buys it for them just to shut them up.

This crap will all stop soon as they will soon have to go get real jobs and will not have finally get a clue - that there is NO FREE anything.

Even air is not free - you can get all you want at the cost of one day in your time limited life.

And if you want to fix the problem real fast, start your own DMOZ and pay the editors - say goodbye to DMOZ.

But it really is frustrating, when some brain dead, dumber than rock salt twit gets to be an editor and trash your opportunity to make money so he can impress his blow up doll artificial girlfriend that he's an editor for a big search engine.

The older I get the more I wonder where is Joe Stalin when we need him. These guys all deserve to die because they are tooo dumb to let them have any chance of getting their genes in the gene pool.

I mean - what the hell is Walmart but a super giant link farm for a zillion merchants. How many products in any Walmart does Walmart make directly - probably less than a dozen, the rest of the stuff they sell, even if it has their brand on it, is made by others. Walmart is just the brick and mortar super affiliate of these merchants.

The morons and all the idiot's who are editors are simply too dumb and stupid to grasp this simple fact.

Dmoz editors should be banned from all affiliate programs.

The ODP is such a joke. And the home-homemaking-frugality-coupons section must be corrupt. There are several sites listed that are all affiliate links. What a travesty.

<soapbox>
    Sorry, I use Google for both shopping and information.

I run my searches very differently when I'm shopping than when I'm seeking info. Google is definitely the best for finding the most specific little things on the net. Ever needed to know how chronic graft vs. host disease is graded (hope you never do), or what the long term effects of certain immune modulators are?

Still, one item I wasn't finding on Google (to buy) (too darned many FREE sites in the top few pages of results), so I went to the ppc engines (starting with the ones I use).

I signed on as a DMOZ editor because the category I was submitting a client's site for needed an editor and it is one of my lifetime interests. It has nothing to do with my affiliate business. It's a very small category, and I doubt I'll ever get a submission from an affiliate site.

I'll state again, folks need to learn to search intelligently. If you want the history of sheet making, you'll need to search differently than if you want to buy queen size flannel sheets.

I started surfing on the "net" back in the gopher days, 'bout 1989. I was thrilled with seamless FTP. Lynx came along and oh what fun, until all sites were heavily graphic and table oriented and the screen was gibberish in black and white text.

I'd hate it if the net was only all information and no shopping or all shopping and no information. Life is pretty good with both of them available at home via my internet access!
    <soapbox>

Okay I'm going to throw a spanner in the works.
    One of my sites has never been listed in the ODP, from memory there are about 6 inbound links, pages from it get spidered very well every month with no robot txt file, it's full of affiliate links, heavy on graphics,
    the meta's are dreadful, the page descripions are almost non existant!
    Today I noticed google has just picked up a page I finished and put it #1 for a very nice niche product of over 100,000 sites!
    So, go figure...?

Oh my, I was almost agreing with Fred and then he got all genocidal.

There are two misconceptions about the ODP:

One: a lot of webmasters think that the ODP will list everything. Not so. Some sites are just too awful to be listed. Each site must have something unique to offer and have decent enough content and design.

Two: a lot of editors think that affiliate sites are worthless, but it's possible to build affiliate stores that actually add value to the directory either through their content or targetting.

These two points are related. We've all seen those awful banner farms people throw together full of flashing make-money-fast crap. These are the sites that give affiliate marketing a bad name, and what the ODP doesn't want to list.. and believe me there are a LOT of these crappy sites around.

I think affiliate sites need to DEMONSTRATE that they add value.. maybe this is something we can start with ABW. I have a few ideas but I need to think things over more [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I really don't think the ODP is all that important in the scheme of things.

I tried to submit one of my sites a while ago and I couldn't submit to the category I wanted so I've never bothered.
    Google still picks them up and google
    is #1 in my book.

I do believe there is a place for a search engine that is discriminating as opposed to elitist with a sprinkling of aroma de'geek!

I will offend the affiliates!

Affiliate link farms suck! They are the scurge of the internet. They are not content, and don't try to say they are just because you spend so much time adding them to your site. People want information! That is what the internet used to be, but now every Tom, Dick and Housewife knows how to cut and paste and whalla they have a website.

People are getting fed up with the internet because they look for something and only find crappy affiliate link farms that usually just install gator or other crap onto your computer.

If Affiliate="pissed"
    end affiliate bashing
    }

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>affiliate link farms that usually just install gator or other crap onto your computer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> What planet do you live on? No affiliate in their right mind would do anything to assist Gator anymore!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast