Does anyone have any thoughts on this service? I'm interested in opt-in mailings, but don't want to pay megabux for it.

If not can you recommend an inexpensive solution?

Akoss

Oh please! Would you really believe a site called 10-million-hits.com? Doesn't the orange background with the tiny unreadable print give you a clue?

Smells like spam to me. Somebody taste it for me. I can't always tell from the smell.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Guess where the next pile of spam will be coming from?
    Dear eNotify customer, we regret to inform you that after nearly 4 years of service we will be discontinuing our eNotify services as of June 15, 2002.
    Please take note that all email accounts, email messages, calendar events, etc., will be deleted and all pager, email, calendaring and monitoring services will be stopped on June 15.

You can get other email services from Catalog.com for as little as $35/yr. This includes your own domain name and free web hosting. Visit www.catalog.com for more details.

Heather, Akoss just asked a simple question. There is nothing overtly wrong with that site's design.

Did you find a source of traffic from the other post Hershey? Dyou have any thoughts about opt-in lists?

ABW Ambassador
    Akoss,
    Just a little warning. Be very, very careful about mailing lists, even if they claim to be opt-in. Rarely are they opt-in, or do you realize that you opt-in. If you do opt-in, there is a good chance that the addresses are sold off..therefore your subscribers wouldn't know who you are, and wouldn't know that their e-mail address passed through 10 companies before it reached you...I've seen websites shut down because they mailed out from an opt-in e-mail list and were accused of spam. It's difficult to trust the source unless it is somebody you know. I would prefer buying an ad on someones newsletter instead of purchasing a list.

Akoss, I agree with TH. Be careful with so-called opt-in lists. You never know if they are really opt-in or not.

My point is that the 10 Million hits site looks legitimate. Notice, though, how they say "up to" 10 million hits. That can mean one hit. And is a hit the same as a visitor? Sites like this that offer so much for so little money generally are ones to stay away from. You'll do better putting your money elsewhere. I agree that an ad in a targeted newsletter would be better. Or buy some pages in Inktomi ($39 for the first one, then $25 each). If they are optimized correctly, that can bring significant traffic.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The site design seems okay despite the hard-to-read font.

But from their FAQ I'd say it's a spam server. They even "assign" a reply-to email address to the mailings.

It also says you "can get" a million visitors. I guess they figure the average page generates 10 server hits. Although like Hershey said, you could also get one. Or even none!

I agree with Hershey, there are better ways of promotion.

Cool Guys.... thanks for the warnings... I'm using inktomi with pretty good results, but of course.. I WANT MORE!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I appreciate the feedback and I'll keep reading.

Not to be the negative one in the bunch, but I just thought I'd say that I personally thought that site looked like a parody site for scammers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

There's nothing wrong with opt-in lists, newsletter ads, "safelists" and such - but there's no way this particular offer is legitimate.

I seriously doubt anyone on the net has as much as 60 million opt-in email-addresses on their list, and certainly there's no way a site *looking like that* has it (even if they seem to have won the prestigious "Web Promotion Award 2001" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (Sounds fake to me)

Looks like they stole a couple of other graphics for their site as well.

Oh, and not to state the obvious, but if they had 60 million opt-in email addresses (which they don't), why would they sell a mailing to it for $39.95? (If it was legitimate one mailing would have sold for thousands and thousands of dollars.)

Just because they slap up a gif with "No Spam" on it, doesn't make them very convincing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I agree with Heather2002. That site looks extremely scammy. In fact there's nothing about it that makes it look legitimate to me.

IMHO [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hi Knut,

I had to believe that Leader and Hershey were being sarcastic. Smiley's would be nice though. As you said, that site would be a good parody of most of the scams out there.

Not everyone on this board has years of experience sorting out what websites are scams and which aren't. Most people are in here to learn, help others and share information. Akoss asked for help and got jumped on.

I can't speak for Leader, but no, I wasn't being sarcastic. If someone doesn't have a lot of experience on the web, that site LOOKS legitimate. Not everyone is as net savvy as you , Heather. And those who are are a little less, and I am being charitable here, arrogant about it.

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: hershey ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    If someone doesn't have a lot of experience on the web, that site LOOKS legitimate.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm... sure... of course it does. As a matter of fact, it reminds me a lot of Amazon.com, Overture.com, Yahoo.com, Google.com and other legitimate sites. I don't know what I was thinking. Please accept my humble apologies.

Just to get that part out of the way, I thought I'd say that the negativity in my post above wasn't directed at anyone in here - only at the not-too-legitimate-looking 10-million-hits [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

To address the original question by ^akoss^:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I'm interested in opt-in mailings, but don't want to pay megabux for it.
    If not can you recommend an inexpensive solution?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the cheapest, legitimate ways to build an opt-in list (unless you're building it through sign-up boxes at your own site), might be to buy coregistrations at other sites.

Those are pretty cheap these days. Many are selling campaigns starting on as little as $100. The targeting is usually less than perfect, though - so whether this is a smart route to go for you depends on how appealing whatever it is you're going to promote to them is to a general audience (unless there's more targeting involved, of course. Then again, the more targeted, the less inventory out there, and the more expensive it gets).

It's definitely possible to do well with this approach, but as with anything else - it won't work for everyone, nor for promoting every kind of product/service.

(If you're on a limited budget, I also wouldn't recommend going this route if you don't have any experience with opt-in mailings/newsletters already. If that's the case, I'd first try to build your own list with your own efforts. (Sign-up boxes at your sites, etc). This way you can find out what a subscriber is worth to you, and then determine whether it's be worth it to buy coregs. (while keeping in mind that coregs will always be less valuable/responsive than sign-ups generated from your own sites)

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: Knut ]

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread