Google Update has started! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    My main site is back after a month out of the index. Ranks are good. I'm developing a real love-hate relationship with Google!

Not as good as I had hoped, but I actually lost links this time. Anyone know of a way to check what sites aren't in anymore, hehe, I know, I know, but I had to ask.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Google Update has started!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

New to this - what does that mean?

Thanks.

I have no idea what to think of this update. It seems lots of pages are removed from the index, but rankings have improved quite a bit [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat I.:

New to this - what does that mean?

Thanks.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost every month Google updates it's database with the most recent listings. Today they started updating the database.

I've got new pages showing up and ranking very high on www2 and www3. However, they're not live yet in the current SERPS. Can't wait!

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I'll be happy if my index page gets listed. At least people would know my site exists then LOL

Hi I'm new but it doesnt take a genius to figure out that 'google update' is a very exciting time! Can someone tell me what you mean by www2 and www3? I went to www2.google.com and google did load up. Is this a different index? I"m just confused...

sal
    updates are currently showing in http://www3.google.com/ but things will fluctuate for a week or so until the new index settles down in www.google.com and at some point it will make it into the yahoo web page results

Some up, some down. Lost one keyword from rank 4 to 8, one up from 6 to 2 though. Hmmm.

for some phrases i'm losing or increasing ranks in ranges of 20-120 places :eek:
    and i only got one more inbound link :confused:

ABW Ambassador
    All I can say is YAHOO! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

My newest site got listed, and ranking very nicely!

--->Thanks again to Andy S., of SuperKickassDesign fame, for the link
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: Deelz ]

Whoa - I got a nice surprise. I had a tax website that I didn't put much energy into promoting because I finished it late -March ... it was really just an experiment. The only paid submission I made was to Lycos because it was cheap.

I guess the "experiment" worked. It somehow made it to the top of second page of Google and also into Yahoo (the Yahoo link showed up in google by way of a 3rd -party search bot site that I've never heard of. ) I may have submitted it to Yahoo but I didn't pay to do it. I really wasn't looking for it to come up anywhere in sight.

no luck on my new site yet. Hopefully they're not done yet tho?

jackson992

Do you have server records from the last 30 days? Check them for a googlebot visit. If the bot didn't come you won't be included. If it did visit then you should already see your site on google 2 or 3 but not regular www just yet.

If google didn't visit in the last 30 days you'll need to quickly link with someone already listed in google so you don't miss the next update again.

but I was already linked with people that are indexed in Google so Google should have added me. I'll check my server log tonight but I didn't see anything on my Webtrends

i like this update [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well, what a present Google has given me. My site is now listed number 2 on www2 and www3 so with a few changes on the site description I can now do a search for "Glasgow Taxi", well I just hope that it moves onto the main index.

The site is also listed number one on all indexs for "Private Hire" another type of taxi in the UK.

Well lets see what the next 24hours bring. The next thing is to get my site into the top 10 for just the word "Glasgow", now I think I will have to work on that one a LOT!!

regards
    John
    (Still not happy with DMOZ though)

ABW Ambassador
    Elisabeth,

Congrats on getting back into Google, though I am beginning to suspect your love/hate relationship should be with your host and not Google. Last month, you had a greyed out PR - usually an indication that your site was down when google came by. Anyway, I am glad you're back in, particularly as it boosts the rank of one of my own sites. I'm catching you up girl, watch out.....

On another note, anyone got an idea of what dates this update includes. The last change I can see is around the 15th May. Anyone got more recent pages in than that ?

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, Marky, I saw you on the front page and smiled! But I'm still ahead of you ... (neener, neener!)

You're right about site outages, but according to my understanding the problem wasn't my host, it was further upstream - a regional network outage at exactly the wrong time. Stuff happens ... and one's mantra has got to be diversify, diversify ... Inktomi and PPC have been keeping me alive.

My stats have been interesting. WIthout Google, traffic has been down by about two-thirds, but my EPC has more than doubled compared to last month. I have one page that gets mostly non-spending teenage traffic, and they've been a smaller part of the picture. So my EPC looks better, whoop-de-doo!

Elisabeth Archambault

Exactly how does pagerank work? My new listing has a pagerank halfway between the e and the r. This seems to be the halfway point. Does that mean that half the sites out there will have a better keyword rank than mine?

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I'm at a really sticky point with some of my pages... they're directory pages that have gotten too big to rank well (at least I can no longer get them to rank well)... each month, as they grow, I watch them drop a few spots.

Problem is, they sell better as they are.

Of course, if no-one sees them, they can't sell. hrmmmmm....

As to the date of inclusions, I've got a page from the 15th that did NOT get in, but everything earlier did.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread