It really confuses me that there are sites that do not seem to be optimized for the search engines at all, and yet they get excellent placement.

For instance, I do a search on "dogs" in Yahoo (dogs, so general). And what pops up in the number one position? A site named:

i-love-dogs.com

It is lean on description, keywords, and other things that most consider for SEO.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Approximately 30% of the words on the page are either dog or dogs. And dogs is part of the URL, and included in the keywords and description.

Interesting, I see.

Thanks for the quick reply.

-Pat

This probably should be in the traffic forum, but also take a good look at the link results on google: http://www.google.com/s earch?hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=link%3Awww.i-love-dogs.com%2F

added:
    I hardly consider 2000 incoming links, from a wide variety of sites lack of effort in SEO.

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: webmistress ]

ABW Ambassador
    Isn't the original post talking about Yahoo!, though and doesn't that mean it has nothing to do with page content or inbound links?

Mark probably has a much better idea than I about how to rank well in Yahoo. And you're right, perhaps Yahoo is not interested in link popularity...however lets see what kind of link pop differences between that #1 listing and say #8 (with Results 1 - 10 of about 50 link pop in google, but in the same category).

#2 has Results 1 - 10 of about 85 link pop in google

#3 seems to only have 1?

#4 Results 1 - 10 of about 62

#5 Results 1 - 10 of about 347

#6 1 - 10 of about 69

#7 Results 1 - 10 of about 38

Then there's what to look at in title, domain name, and of course the actual description which appears in the directory. As Cedric pointed out, Yahoo shouldn't care what's on the home page....but since Google drives these results and the page is surely cached... and glancing at the above I'd say it's not fool-proof proven, but I'd say that link pop has some sort of affect on the algo.

Okay, truth is I'm just guessing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .

ABW Ambassador
    Well now, there is a difference in what is important to Yahoo! and what is important to Yahoo!/Google.

I was talking about the pure Yahoo! directory... I hadn't looked to see that the search results being discussed were Yahoo!/Google.

The results were from google for the top 8 listings in Yahoo. That is, I typed in dogs at Yahoo and then looked at the link pop of each of the top 8 via google. That's why I mentioned that for a Yahoo listing it wouldn't just be the link pop, you'd have to look at the listing title, description and domain name as well.

In all honesty, I don't know a thing about the algo Yahoo uses to rank the web site directory listings that get served up. Dogs is general enough that a number of categories are listed in the top 20 results shown. I just figured that since the #1 didn't even have "dogs" in the description... anyway today's Yahoo results are very different and i-love-dogs is down at #5. So much for my analytical ability and Yahoo :eek: .

ABW Ambassador
    I'm a little confused about exactly what everyone's talking about, but the Yahoo directory uses the following factors to rank sites (in no particular order)

Click through popularity
    Keywords in description
    Keywords in title
    Keywords in URL

and......Google PageRank seems to have a major impact on the order of sites in the directory. There also seems to be a (how shall I say this) heavy editorial input into where sites rank.

Personally, I hate trying to get sites to rank at Yahoo, but what I do is take my main keyword list for a site; go to Yahoo and run searches for those phrases, starting with the most popular.

I look for a potential gap on the first page of results where the results are maybe not as relevant to that phrase as they could be. I also look for which categories seem to dominate the results. Having found the niche and the most popular category, I write the first line of the description around that phrase and only that phrase. The second line of the description is usually a secondary phrase with some qualifying words that could apply to both phrases.

Then I submit to the category I had identified, keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Very scientific part of the process that.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    This does indeed belong in Building Site Traffic so I have moved it there.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread