Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    WOW great google update
    my new site suddenly got 5/10,
    but i have several quetions?
    is it danger to cross linking internal pages?
    I worry "kicked ass penalized" How ya to avoid it ?

finally, is it possible for my subpages got PR like index/root?

Action Jackson - King of the World
    zervo, when did you submit your site?
    I ask because as of yesterday my site was still not found and I submitted on 4/21/02

ABW Ambassador
    Hi jackson992
    i submit in 5/01/02 and crawled by googlebot on 5/04/02 it's very quick [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>finally, is it possible for my subpages got PR like index/root?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I think it is.

I have a pr of 5 on my index page and a 5 on an internal page.

my index page is directory style or list of links to pages inside the site. ie www.site.com links to site.com/pages/junk.html and site.com/pages/junk.html link to an upper directory called site.com/pages/index.html which has a pr of 5 just like the main index.html.

[ 05-25-2002: Message edited by: Heyder ]

ok so then somebody tell me why Google hasn't visited my site???!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>ok so then somebody tell me why Google hasn't visited my site???!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jack,

Check your logs to see if google visited any of your webpages.

Sometimes when I submit one of my websites, I see google spider the submitted page and a long delay (2-4 weeks) before it comes back to spider the other pages linked from that submitted page.

There's also a delay between the time when the page is spidered and when the page shows up in google results (another 2-4 weeks). So expect 1-2 months (or more) before your pages show up in google results.

Be patient -- you'll probably be in google after the next google update.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Affiliate Scripts

ABW Ambassador
    Jack-
    This is not criticism - I am just stating what MUST be done.
    BEFORE googlebot comes again you MUST add a bunch of (relevant) meta keywords and phrases, rework your Title and Description tags to contain some of those keywords, and work some more body text content (containing the appropriate keywords, of course) into your home page.
    You don't necessarily need to do a lot, but you do need to do it.
    MUST, MUST, MUST!
    You'll thank me for this in a couple of months [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>you MUST add a bunch of (relevant) meta keywords and phrases, rework your Title and Description tags <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Google dosn't use either meta keywords or meta description. Your titles do need working on, but this has absolutely no impact on whether google will spider and include your site. what you really need to work on is getting some links from sites already in googles database. I did a search for jacksretail, http://jacksretail.com ... and there are no results on either www, www2 or www3.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Your titles do need working on, but this has absolutely no impact on whether google will spider and include your site."

No, but it'll make a BIG difference on WHAT term it's included under and it also can make a big difference in what RANK you end up with under that keyword/keyphrase!!

Google pays quite a bit of attention to the Title tag. Don't let the fact that it's in the Head section of a page fool you...

As for the meta-description and meta-keywords tags, some SEs do read them so you should put 'em in even though Google is said to ignore those.

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Google doesn't use either meta keywords or meta description<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - 5 am - I'm not quite awake.

But STILL you'll need to have these in place, as hopefully you submit to more places than just google.

Inbound links - link trading can be quite a chore - you do need to do that too.

Another easy way to get some inbound links is to list your site in some directories where you can "add your url free". These are often overlooked because they are not "big guys", and just by looking at them one can tell that they won't generate any traffic to your site (they usually WON'T), BUT...you get an inbound link. Key here is to find some that are listed in google, or even better, in ODP.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Those little directories are pretty good. Most of them require a return link...which gives them a massive amount of links-in (raising their PageRank), which, of course, makes the link you get from them pretty valuable as well.

Hi
    Well I agree with all thats been said on this subject. Since Dec 2001 (some of the older guys will remember me starting) I have done the following:

1. Increased inbound links to 102
    2. Changed meta description to contain a couple of keywords i.e. glasgow and taxi.
    3. Submitted my site to as many search engines as possible. Now have 16 out of the 28 using marketplace checking site. (Not had to pay any money yet).
    4. Put more content on the site.

I am now working on reducing the front index at the moment and making sure that all my pages have the correct description and meta tags as required.

Its hard work but its fun. Its nice to see things happening but I have found that it can take a long time so keep your chin up, if you put the time and effort in you will be rewarded.

regards John

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Google will rank all pages within your site unless you put a meta not to index. On one of my sites were I sell actual products all my product names are in the #1 or 2 position, but the pages are not my index page. Very rarely does my index page get a good ranking. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] If you have subdirectories, it's a good idea to submit the top level page of each subdirecty especially if your site has a lot of pages. Sometimes the spider gets a bit "lost".

Google is also real big on the actual text on your page. Try to use as much text vs graphics as possible and put as many keywords as you can in text toward the upper part of the page.

On interesting thing I found recently with Google was one my second site that I've recently being bringing back from hibernation. I was checking logs getting quite a bit of traffic from Google. I had just finished a site revision and converted to PHP. I hadn't resubmitted and I was getting hits on the revised site pages. So they are indexing dynamically generated pages, URL's with special characters (I have the ? in all the URL's) and I had no meta tags. Plus my title was just my site name. Guess I need to go get it optimized, no telling what could happen! :eek:

Kellie
    Best Little Free House
    KAS Enterprises

thx everyone. I'm just frustrated right now lol. My business cards for the site will be done this week. You guys mentioned these directories. How do I go about finding these? Also, you meantioned the title. All the pages should have at least a title of Jack's Retail. Did you mean to get the title refined more for each separate page? Also, about linking. I'm not very knowledgeable about pl. What is the easiest way to add somebody as a link? Remember, I know nothing about cgi and my links page is links.pl in the cgi directory

Thx again everyone!

ABW Ambassador
    Jackson I sent you a PM with a bunch of info.
    Good thing tomorrow's a holiday - you're going to be up all night.
    Better get a jug of coffee. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> my index page is directory style or list of links to pages inside the site. ie www.site.com links to site.com/pages/junk.html and site.com/pages/junk.html link to an upper directory called site.com/pages/index.html which has a pr of 5 just like the main index.html.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    still confuse
    Heyder can you explain [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] like with image [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ??? if you don't mind

ABW Ambassador
    OK now we need new thread

Best Linking, Directory Stucture

Maybe Heyder and others can explain

If you look carefully through dmoz.org you'll see a lot of the same things as far as what google does with PR's. Basically it's just a math issue.

If a page has a pr of 5 and the next level is supposed to have 1 less = a pr of 4 then you have another page that is higher up the file structure than the (pr4 page) it has to become a 5.

Eveything above the red horizontal line on the pic is the www folder, below the line is all one folder with various pages inside it. Basically the bottom row of pages are just product pages which are all linked from the home page but when you go to those pages there is a link to a page that has a list of all items that are related to the item you are looking at.

Another thing

The above mentioned site has a grand total of 3 links from other sites. None of these sites have a PR above 3. Google does claim I have 322 links but when I check they are all from pages within my own site. This means you can affect your own link popularity and PR has little to do with what sites link to you nor their PageRanks.

[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: Heyder ]

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder
    Confused is not the word! I always thought that the first page of your site was supposed to the the index page, yet from reading your posts it doesn't have to be?

Again from Heyder
    "The above mentioned site has a grand total of 3 links from other sites. None of these sites have a PR above 3. Google does claim I have 322 links but when I check they are all from pages within my own site.
    nullThis means you can affect your own link popularity and PR has little to do with what sites link to you nor their PageRanks."
    So are you saying not to carry the navigation list over to all the additional pages and then to put links on the bottom of all the pages you on your site ie: Bed & bath, Computer Store etc?
    and a link back to the home page?
    Sorry if I sound so dense but I guess I am.
    Cazzie
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This means you can affect your own link popularity and PR has little to do with what sites link to you nor their PageRanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, of course you can affect your own link popularity. But "PR has little to do with what sites link to you"?

I have internal pages with the exact same PR as my home page because of OUTSIDE links with higher PRs. Technically, I suspect it's possible for an internal page to have a HIGHER PR than the home page, dependent on outside linking.

PR is a combination of many things -- and I think it's incredibly misleading to state that it has "little to do with what sites link to you".

ABW Ambassador
    You can affect your own link popularity, but you need to tread carefully on this ground. Normal cross-linking for internal navigation seems to be okay, but if you cross the line into doing things that Google deems "artificial", you may encounter problems. The difficulty in all this is that no one except Google knows where that line is or what it's made of. The rest of us all see through a glass darkly ...

Cazzie a pm is on it's way to you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast