ABW Ambassador
    Does anyone know about this program? Would google frown upon using it?
    Thanks
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Yes. Links4Trade is a link farm and will get you penalised by Google.

If you are looking for reciprocal links, try www.linkleads.com - but you'll actually have to put some work in, I'm afraid.

Hello,
    I am still interested in exchanging links with other sites.We have a stock related site and a computer related site.Thanks :cool:

linkleads.com is good? I'm willing to put in the work if 1) it's worthwhile and 2) it won't get my site into trouble with Google.

If you wanna exchange with me click here: http://www.aequorea.com/linx-factory..._addlink.shtml

I think David Cusimano's LinkGravity is great for exchanging links. It's targeted, so you don't have links to or from sites that don't have the same subject as your site. You can also display your logo, which I think is really :cool:

By the way, David has a promo for ABW, so you can use linkgravity for free for the rest of the year. The promo code is: "abw0205"

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: Matlok ]

ABW Ambassador
    After taking a quick look at the sites mentioned above, I think I will pass. Most of the sites I saw had no page ranks in google. Evidently I am doing something wrong as I have about 20 reciprocal links with page ranks of 4's and 5's and a few 6's yet when I click on page info and then backwards links on google none of my recips show up. Right now I have a page rank of 3 and it is my understanding that to get a higher page rank and higher position on keywords your page rank must be higher than a 3. Correct me if I am wrong and please advise how you can improve your page rank.

WebSearchEngines Thanks I have already linked both of my sites with you!
    Thanks
    Cazzie
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: cazzie ]

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: cazzie ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    From what I've seen, they just don't show the links for PR3 and below sites with the link: tool. But they know you have the links...or you wouldn't be in there.

When you attain PR 4, more links should show up in the link: tool.

The value of PageRanks depends on your category. It frankly depends on your competition. If your competition in the listings has PR8s, obviously 3 is going to be buried somewhere. But if your competition is all 2s and 3s you can grab the #1 or #2 without much trouble...

Other than getting more links from highly ranked pages, I don't have any suggestions except that it seems to help if the link to you isn't on somebody's "links" page.

ABW Ambassador
    I was on David's site for completely different reasons the other day and saw LinkGravity - this looks like a link farm as well, I'm afraid. Unless - and this is quite possible - I have misunderstood how it works.

WebSearchEngines.net,

I took a look at your site and noticed that all your outbound links go through a cgi-bin, next I checked the sites that you are linking to and google shows no links to them from you. So what would be the point of exchanging links with you other than the benefit to yourself? a bit mean doncha think?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>cazzie wrote:
    Most of the sites I saw had no page ranks in google.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cazzie, I wasn't sure if your comment was also referring to linkGravity.com or not. Although obtaining "page ranks" is not the intended purpose of linkGravity, for the record, www.linkGravity.com has a page rank of 5. Many of the sites in the linkGravity system also have similar page ranks. There are some brand new sites (created in the last 30 days) who recently joined linkGravity that have no google page ranking; that's because those sites have probably not yet been spidered by google.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>markymark wrote:
    I was on David's site for completely different reasons the other day and saw LinkGravity - this looks like a link farm as well, I'm afraid. Unless - and this is quite possible - I have misunderstood how it works.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your comments markymark. In fact, it may be worthwhile to have a general discussion on what does and does not constitute a link farm and on linking in general. Many of us are interested in linking with other sites while at the same time wanting to operate within the various SE policies.

Here are my thoughts on this issue...

linkGravity was designed to be consistent with Google's "Webmaster Dos and Don'ts" where webmasters are encouraged to "Feel free to exchange links with other sites that are compatible with your site's content and users' interests" provided that the webmaster does not "Participate in link exchanges for the sole purpose of increasing your ranking in search engines".

From Google's guidelines, IMHO, webmasters are not prohibited from having link pages that link with other related websites. That is the basis of the entire world wide web. Also, I don't think that webmasters are prohibited from using tools such as linkGravity to assist them in maintaining their links to other sites provided that when the webmaster uses these tools they do so within these Google's guidlines.

The key to staying within Google's guidelines is to ensure that: (i) the sites that are linked together have to be related and (ii) any use of a link exchange is not done for the sole purpose of increasing one's ranking in Google. If, as a secondary effect, an increase in the rankings occurs then that is acceptable within the Google guidelines.

A few points that set linkGravity apart from link farms...

1. The main purpose of linkGravity is to facilitate the exchange links with other sites that are compatible with a webmaster's site content and his/her users' interests. I am a big believer in co-opetition (co-operative competition) -- although at ABW we are all technically in competition with each other, most of us also recognize that it does more good for us and our users when we help each other out. That's why we're all here at ABW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] By using linkGravity, an ABW member can easily link up his/her sites with other ABW members who have similar themed sites and thereby promote each other. By linking up, the end user also benefits by having more choice to select from. That's consistent with Google's "Do's" -- if one of the side effects is better search engine placement, then even better.

2. linkGravity does not use a central link hub. For example, go to linkGravity.com and click on the "Posters" category and you'll see that the link on the page is not at the linkGravity.com domain but rather it links to the links page at a member's poster site (BTW, the links page uses a template so it can be customized by each webmaster so the links page at their site matches the look-and-feel of their website).

3. All outbound links on each member's site are direct HTML links (e.g.: www.mysite.com/linkg links directly to www.yoursite.com). The links on everyone's sites do not go through one URL using a CGI-bin such as www.linkfarm.com/cgi-bin/redirect?site=www.yoursite.com

4. All links on a webmaster's site are to related sites only -- unrelated sites are not linked to each other.

5. All sites are reviewed/approved by a human editor to ensure that only related sites are added to a category.

For those webmasters whose sole purpose is to increase their ranking in search engines then linkGravity is not for them. IMHO, for those webmasters who want to exchange links in accordance with Google's policy, then linkGravity provides an excellent solution.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per David Cusimano

Affiliate Scripts

ABW Ambassador
    OK, David, I have a better idea of how this works now, thanks. I knew I should have looked into it more closely at the time.

However, whether your intention is to manipulate PR or not with this; that seems to be the end result. All the sites in a particular category are sharing links with all the other sites in that category and none of the individual sites need ever have visited any of the other sites in that category. This is not the 'natural' link exchange process that you rightly say the web is based on. This creates an artificial link pattern for the sites involved and inflates PR of the sites involved.

Google can and does pick up on things like this - and if one of the sites gets red-flagged, then they may all have problems.

I am all in favour of using cgi scripts and databases to make web site management easier, but LinkGravity goes further than that in the sense that the script is providing a pre-defined links page for each site in a category. It's still not something I would recommend using, I'm afraid.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread