I run a full service, "mall-like," shopping site. I am looking to exchange links with sites that would complement each other's content, while providing a value-added service to our visitors.

For instance, one of the lines that I carry are pet products. So, I would be interested in a site that has information related to let's say dogs (or cats, etc.) but does not sell any pet products. I, on the other hand, would sell pet products, but not provide info on pets (i.e. care, shows, breeding, etc).

Please let me know if anyone would be interested in this type of arrangement. I know this is not some big revelation, but I did not see any immediate references to this on the message board.

I am thinking that, on my site, these would be text links on the home page which is now getting about 1500 visitors/day.

Thanks.

-Pat

Pat,

Check out http://linkgravity.com/ [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko

I can't use linkgravity. I run an NT server, and I think that it says that it uses a perl script. Also, doesn't look like it gives me the ability to pick and choose who gets listed on my site.

Let me know if I got it wrong.

Thanks.

-Pat

Pat

Your arrangement is unfair. You're going to make money out of our content, and you're also preventing us from doing so.

You get all the dough while we do all the sweating.

I for one will not bite your offer.

hmmmm [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

LOL Nighthawk,

I was thinking the same thing!

I don't think Pat intended on coming across that way but still such a deal.

Well, this is true - I did not mean to have it appear that my intention was one-sided. I am not that kind of person, nor would I promote such an arrangement. I am sorry if that is how it sounded.

All I thought was that some of you might have sites that simply do not sell hard goods, and I, therefore, do not (will not) sell services, advice, etc.

That is what I mean by "complementary."

Hope this clears up my intentions, and the offer still stands.

Thanks much.

-Pat

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>All I thought was that some of you might have sites that simply do not sell hard goods, and I, therefore, do not (will not) sell services, advice, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat,

We're all here to make money. Sure a few have content sites but they usually are a labor of love or used to funnel traffic to a site that has them "hard goods" for sell.

You won't find many takers here.

Mike :eek:

Well, then how about folks that sell non-competing products or specialty items.

Or, just forget I started this thread...lesson learned.

-Pat :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat I.:
    Or, just forget I started this thread...lesson learned.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are on the right track though.

Any agreement is based on give-and-take. And here you are taking the traffic, and the money.

Next move would be to ask yourself, what is it that you have (and will give) that will make the other person happy?

If you can't come up with an answer, then the business of selling is not for you.

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: nighthawk ]

actually, all you gotta do is offer a % of the pie and you'll be right back on track. Especially here! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Again, I thought that the "give and take" would be traffic among non-competing sites.

I now see that I was mistaken.

It was never my intention to just take. I have done client referrals all throughout my career in offline sales. With client referrals, you intro the prospective client to another business that you use/trust, then that business works with them to get the sale (or not). They keep their profit, and you keep yours. Referrals, alone, are an important part of doing business off the net. Every new potenital customer is one more than that which you would have gotten on your own. I guess it don't work here.

Second lesson learned.

-Pat

how can another commercial-business site not compete with a "mall"?
    you got practically everything, be that products or be that services.

are you willing to give up a portion of your mall so it will not compete with your new partner?

Sure, depending on what it is......

Try me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat I.:
    Sure, depending on what it is......
    Try me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds iffy.

Well then, if you want to partner with a pet store, you have to give up your pet section.

ABW Ambassador
    Don't be too quick to dismiss the idea of trading links with a competitor. Some search engines give more weight to links between sites with similar themes, so even though you'd still be rivals, some careful link trading could help both of you compete more effectively against 67,212 other competitors.

Buckworks,

A link trade between competitor sites is a fair arrangement.

But Pat is not looking for that. Pat wants to (exclusively) sell products while his partner provides the content.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    For instance, one of the lines that I carry are pet products. So, I would be interested in a site that has information related to let's say dogs (or cats, etc.) but does not sell any pet products. I, on the other hand, would sell pet products, but not provide info on pets (i.e. care, shows, breeding, etc).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    You're right that Pat's original proposal came across as poorly balanced. I suspect that he/she simply hadn't thought it through far enough to see how lop-sided (and therefore unrealistic) it was.

My point is that it's not necessary to dump a category or something to form a useful partnership.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nighthawk:

That sounds iffy.

Well then, if you want to partner with a pet store, you have to give up your pet section.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, and I wouldn't partner with a pet site unless the pet site is not selling goods.

Sounds like this is going to get out of hand, sorry I started it.

Let's drop this thread.

Thanks all.

-Pat

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I wouldn't partner with a pet site unless the pet site is not selling goods.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sounds as though someone did not understand what I said about the benefits of trading links -- even with competitors.

I wouldn't partner with a pet site unless the pet site is not selling goods.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It always comes back to...

You're going to make money out of other people's content.

And you get all the dough while your partner does all the sweating.

I wonder what part of UNFAIR can't you understand? :rolleyes:

Pat,

Do you have anything like google rank or visitor traffic to throw on the table?

I may be interested in working some sort of trades with you. I don't know if or how we compete but if you listen to Buckworks, there are other factors to consider.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nighthawk:

It always comes back to...

You're going to make money out of other people's content.

And you get all the dough while your partner does all the sweating.

I wonder what part of UNFAIR can't you understand? :rolleyes:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you still don't get it. Maybe you (or someone!) does not sell a product MAYBE you sell a service, a newsletter, an e-book, maybe you breed cocker spaniels, maybe you sell your original artwork, maybe you sell insurance, maybe you are a financial planner, maybe you sell your own graphic artwork, maybe you are a computer consultant, maybe your write custom software, maybe you are a photographer or a DJ, maybe you play guitar in a local band, etc, etc, etc. (get it??)

Has anyone ever done business offline (like in before the web?) Good, then those folks are familiar with the process, and understand what I am saying.

SO, if it don't apply here, or in YOUR case, then stop responding to the thread BECAUSE it is UNRELATED.

Okay? okay.

Thank you.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Has anyone ever done business offline (like in before the web?) Good, then those folks are familiar with the process, and understand what I am saying.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Pat, we're ALL familiar with the process, but it doesn't translate to cyberspace quite as directly as you seem to be envisioning. Rather than try to stop the discussion, you should be encouraging others to talk more about what the differences are and how we can adapt to them.

If you're serious about wanting to find link partners, set aside your pique and answer Heyder's question about page rank.

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    I've done tons of business offline and understand exactly what you're saying -- sort of like the person who makes homemade dog biscuits and leaves them as give-aways at a vet's office, right?

Yeah, wrong forum to ask for that kind of relationship, but I'm guessing you already got that.

Don't want to get too pissy, though, and end up ignoring Elisabeth's comments. If you pay attention here, you can get an education in ONLINE marketing which seems entirely more relevant to this conversation than offline.

>>Maybe you (or someone!) does not sell a product MAYBE you sell a service, a newsletter, an e-book, maybe you breed cocker spaniels, maybe you sell your original artwork, maybe you sell insurance, maybe you are a financial planner, maybe you sell your own graphic artwork, maybe you are a computer consultant, maybe your write custom software, maybe you are a photographer or a DJ, maybe you play guitar in a local band, etc, etc, etc. <<

Actually the only problem I see here is that Pat is looking for this type of partnership on a board that caters primarily to those who are involved in affiliate marketing. I'm not sure where she would look for the type of partner she wants, but I doubt she'll find many on this board. I know I'm here only because I want to build an affiliate site that will pay for my content site and a lot of you guys really know your stuff!

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread