Do I need to put keywords, title, etc. on every page of my web site or is the index/home page enough. Will search engines/spiders look at these on my other pages?

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Give each and every page the full treatment if you want them to have a chance to be found.

Hi
    Well we have discussed this issue ref keywords and Google etc but I would say that it will not do any harm and that I am certainly re-doing all my pages to make sure the keywords are on the pages.

Next, make sure that you put some of your keywords in the meta description, it does help when people are doing a search.

regards John

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>it does help when people are doing a search<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Unless, of course, they're searching via google.

You may not have heard this, John, but Google does not use keywords except in the most extreme cases. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    On our music site, a majority of traffic is coming in via the 'back door'. Treat each page as it's own website. When somebody does a search for a particular artist that is listed on our site, that is generally the page they are taken to and not our front page. Our sub pages get a lot more traffic than the front page gets. This could be because we use meta-tags on our sub pages, or because of the content found on that page.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Treat each page as it's own website<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't have been put a better way.

And don't be afraid to sacrifice good grammar to push the most important keywords right up front in your page titles.

Keywords should appear throughout the body text of course, but make a concerted effort to squeeze as many of the most important keywords into the first paragraph of body text, and spiff the last paragraph as well.

Hello Cedric,

As discussed Google does not use meta keywords but as I have said its worth having your keywords in the meta descrition line and as also pointed out by Deelz dont be afraid to mess around a little with the english lanuage.

Google is not the only search engine in the world so surley we should all be doing as much as we can to get our sites on as many search engines as possible so that no matter what/where/why people seach in other places our sites will have a chance of getting listed, after all to put in a meta description and meta keywords on all your webpages is easy using cut and paste.

Anyway, its all fun and what a good forum to debate this stuff in.

regards John

I agree with the above posts, it does not make a huge additional effort to put title and keyword tags into every page of your web. Search engines work different and maybe some of them will use the meta tags to list/rank your sites properly

Good luck

By the way, I dono how and why, but I got a number 1 listing at google for 3 of my main keywords (listed within the keyword tags too)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>On our music site, a majority of traffic is coming in via the 'back door'. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No pun intended but my site Analbumcover.com also gets most of its hits thru the back door. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I use phpNuke though, and my keywords are generated for each page dynamically. I do agree that you should treat each page like a website and interlink them so when google does find them it thinks they are all different pages and you get multiple page ranks for the same keyword search. I often have three or four pages of my site show up for certain keywords.

Backdoor [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Domino,
    What did you expect with a site title like that...Analbumcover. Better cover that bum because they are all trying to get in the back door.

[Haiko, trying desperately to keep this joke clean..feel free to edit accordingly [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

As a footnote to my orginal question, I just started using Web-stats.com and see that 90% of my visitors are coming in through the back door. And those are pages that don't have any keywords or tags at all.

Beleiving you to all be correct, I just went in and added the keywords to all the other pages and am anxious to see if there is any difference.

Thanks again for all the advice.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And those are pages that don't have any keywords or tags at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This will happen when the SE keys in on words contained in your title, description, or body text.

The first site I ever built got great rankings despite lack of meta keywords (I didn't even know what a meta tag was at the time), because of this. I was selling a certain brand/line of products that is well known but not well represented by US distributors, so any search for one of their products invariably led most searchers to my site.

Shhhhh, be vewy, vewy quiet. When hunting da search engine spider bots, no matter what your title tag, meta tags, alt tags, first word, or any word on the page are ...
    it's actual text that feeds dem spidies. Shhhhh ...

(However, don't ignore your title, meta, alt, or any other aspect of your page! Just never underestimate the power of your actual text).

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread