I've been creating a merchant site that right now has the same base URL as my content site, mainly so it'll get the benefit of being linked to the content site, as far as SE crawls (in other words, it's existing as a section of my content site). But I also want to give it its own URL, leading to the same front page (not a doorway, in other words) - will it get penalized in the SEs for this? If so, is there a way can I avoid this?

I will be promoting this merchant area completely differently and separately from my content site, since theses types of sites are really two different animals, as all of you know! So any advice on prepping it for the SEs would be very greatly appreciated!

ABW Ambassador
    Do you mean that want to use www.mymerchantdomain.com and www.mycontentdomain.com both pointing to the same homepage ? You can do this, of course, and in theory, you shouldn't get penalized by the search engines. However, if you promote these domain names separately (ie: if you get inbound links going to mymerchantdomain.com and another set of inbound links going to mycontentdomain.com), it is likely that the search engines will drop one or other of the domains and only include the other.

Worst case scenario ? The search engines will see these as duplicate pages and penalize you. You and I know that there is only one page but two domain pointers but it is possible that the search engines will see the pages as duplicates. I would say that this is unlikely, but it is something to be aware of.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Actually, this is the way I have it set up:
    the merchant site is: http://mycontentdomain.com/merchants.html
    and it's that's the page I want to give the URL http://mymerchantdomain.com/
    not my contentdomain.com page.

That way the content homepage stays separate, but has a link to the merchant page. And the merchant page has its own URL which doesn't involve the content page. Is that clearer? (I was trying to avoid having to go into long explanations in the first place, but I probably should have! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

So could it still be potentially penalized in the SEs? I primarily plan to use the http://mycontentdomain.com/merchant.html to be submitted to and picked up by the free SEs, while I'm going to take the http://mymerchantdomain.com/ and submit it to the PPCs, Inktomis, etc., of the world, not to the free SEs. Is this a viable plan?

BTW, the main reason I want to do it this way is that my content site is listed in Yahoo, DMOZ and various other places an affiliate site can't go, and I'd like my merchant site to benefit in visibility from that. But I'd also like to give it its own, stand-alone URL for the paid inclusions.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Are you meaning you are wanting to automatically redirect links for http://mycontentdomain.com/merchants.html to http://mymerchandise.com?

I recently had to research the SE and redirect issue for one of my sites. I had a legitimate need to do a redirect after a site upgrade. What seemed to be the general consensus was that if you do the redirect using meta tag or java script coding you will likely be penalized. This is a favorite ploy of SE spammers. But that using a redirect in your .htaccess file is not detected(?) or penalized. Plus it's a faster more seamless redirect without any delay. I used it and have had no problems with the SE to date. Not an expert here, just know it's been no problem for me. Pages with the redirect on them are still showing in the SE. Hope that's what you were asking and it helps. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Aha! Yes, that's what I'm planning to do, and I also intend to do it on the server site (.htaccess, I suppose - although I'm still a little fuzzy on the technical side of this issue. I do know I have a .net domain already pointing to my .com one, and that I did it through my host somehow).

Glad to have your anectdotal input, and very glad to hear that it's working for you. I definitely want my merch area to benefit from my content's good rep (after all, I've put it together with the same care).

BTW, whoever swung by in search of the merch site (I found you in my stats), nope you didn't find it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I do have a link, but it's really small and insignificant because I haven't been ready to take it totally live just yet - I mainly put the link there for the SE crawls. It's nearing completion, though and will have a much easier to find link soon. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yep, domain pointing is a bit different from doing a redirect like your talking about. If you need the coding for a .htaccess redirect let me know and I'll send it to you. It's real easy, just one line. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] You may want to check with your hosting company, some will let you do an .htaccess file yourself, some want to put it up for you. My hosting company made them "blind" on FTP access for security reasons (I don't understand), after I already had a file there for password protection of an area on my site. But I was able to do a "manual get" from my FTP client, add the redirects, and upload. Duh! Anyway, if you need it, I'll be happy to foward the coding with where and how to put the file.

You have a good idea. Might as well take advantage of the traffic and reputation you have from your content site. Good luck!

ABW Ambassador
    OK, I see. Yeah, bestlittle's idea will work fine.

There seems to be a fair amount of talk about urban myths in this forum at the moment, so I would like to burst another one. It is true that search engines can't read javascript, so if you have a legitimate reason for a js redirect, then use it. You won't get penalised for it.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread