Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I have a quick question and a newbie one at that.
    If you have 5 different domain names and point 4 of them to different pages on the same main domain will those 4 domains still be able to be submitted to the search engines, or do you need to host the 4 domains on other web hosts? TIA

I hope I understand your question properly.

My host allows IRM's (I forget exactly, but it's something like Internal Redirect Mapping). So on one account I have 6 domains. The first one is the main directory, the account name, all that. Then when I add another one I need to set up a separate sub-directory to which the second domain name is mapped. All files for the second domain are in that directory and are treated as a separate domain pretty much by the search engines I care about.

It has some restrictions, like the email addresses are all "mapped" also. So info@domain1.com is the same addy as info@domain2.com.

My host describes the services here. Not an affiliate link, but I do have one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

Hope that helps.

Oh, and I know that many hosts do not charge for extra subdomains whereas mine does, and others charge less for an IRM but then add to the monthly fee... it all works out in the end to my mantra in hosting "cheap and reliable are not usually compatible".

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Thanks Webmistress. That is exactly what I needed to know. I contacted my webhost today to get it all set up and just waiting for things to kick in.. Appreciate your help..

No prob. Hehe, the first time I went to order one, I ordered the IRO by accident. They said it was indeed confusing the first time, but I'd get used to it. Boy am I used to it.

Just go for it, Justgoforit! You're on the way!

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread