I've made the decision. Its time to get listed in some search engines and I'm ready to spend some cash ... But I'm nervous, don't want to make any foolish decisions. Hoping for some advice from the experienced folks here ...

I guess my question is, if you only had a limited amount of money to spend (like $100 or so), how would you do it?

Here are some of my thoughts and questions:
    Yahoo - too rich for my blood
    Inktomi - Since the AOL traffic will come from google soon, is it worth it?
    Lycos/Alltheweb - With all the Yahoo! partnership rumors, time to jump in?
    Altavista - does anybody still use this?
    GoClick - didn't know they existed til I saw their forum here. Reasonable rates but do surfers use them to search?
    .. Any other search engines ?

Thank you all so much in advance! I'm excited and apprehensive at the same time [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

altavista - no, there algronym isn't that good, heard ALOT of unsatisfied customers.
    12 months ago they were popular, Then therer popularity dropped dramatically.

goclick - no.

yahoo - possibility, do you feel your site has enough unique content? Is your site working in netscape 4.x? these are just some things editors at yahoo check on.
    Can you find a regional specific index to place your site for free?

lycos/alltheweb - wait to see if they get that yahoo partnership, Generally you can still get in here for free if you don't mind waiting a few months. But the traffic from both of these search engines is very minimal atm.

inktomi - yes, probably one of your cheapest and best option's. All this is because the potential MSN traffic can bring your site if you target the right search term's. MSN is a untapped market unless you pay overture/looksmart. Inktomi is your cheapest option to get into msn.

What i would do is *wait* until we see what happens at yahoo with their secondary results if i was to pay lycos select, which will probably potentially be also a alltheweb listing. I would probably pay inktomi, If i had a good enough site i feel could make me some $$ and get me ROI but i don't.

ABW Ambassador
    Agree 100% with Nuthin. Remember that at the moment, getting into Yahoo will get you into AltaVista within a day, but I think your budget is way too low.

$500 will get you into Yahoo (and then AltaVista who spider from the what's new page daily), 4 pages in Inktomi and 5 in Lycos/Alltheweb. Optimize your site, write a good description for Yahoo and you will be laughing all the way to the bank.....

ABW Ambassador
    A bonus on the Inktomi front: give it 48 hours to put your page up. Then you can substitute another page, and on and on. Even though the page you drop gets removed from Inktomi, it stays in MSN. At least in my case, I'm getting a lot more traffic from MSN than AOL on the pages I had included by Inktomi.

Thanks guys great stuff. interesting Inktomi trick Deelz, I'll have to give that one a serious look.

Question about Yahoo. What really has me nervous is the non refundable $300 fee just for considering my site. What is meant by 'unique content'. My site is a general shopping site, there are many others just like it so would they not consider me?

ABW Ambassador
    'Unique content' means pretty much what they want it to mean. What Yahoo don't want is link farm affiliate sites and sites with nothing to contribute to their directory. Very general I know, but there ya go.

You should be able to get into this category: http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Ec...vices/Coupons/

There's certainly sites in there who are doing similar things to you, but it seems to be a competitive category. I would get over to Wordtracker.com - sign up and spend a couple of hours researching niche keyphrases that can apply to your site. Then create a readable description around these.

If you were my client, this is the category I would submit to; but I would aim for phrases that get maybe 50-60 searches a day rather than competing with the volume searches. Try to work maybe 8-10 keyword combinations into your description and you should do OK.

I have to put a disclaimer here - if you do all this and you don't get in (which you should) or don't get the traffic, don't blame me - I've only looked at your site and the relevant Yahoo category for about ten minutes.

Couple of other tips - keep your description to about two sentences and make it impossible for the Yahoo editors to change. Don't start your first sentence with the word 'features' or 'find'- just dive right in.

IE: Discount coupons and special deals for online shopping. Offers include gifts, computers and books.

Might be a good description, but I haven't checked the popularity of the phrase combinations thrown up by this.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread