I have a mall site that got listed in google and yahoo but the description that they chose is very fragmented, and I doubt that many searches would find my page. The page is http://www.cyber-save-mall.com and here is the description from yahoo:
    "About Us Our Privacy Policy Front Door. Shop by department. In Association
    with Amazon.com Amazon.com. Free, send Amazon.com E-Cards. ... :
    looks like they just picked phrases out of the page randomly...
    Is there a way I can get the description changed? Thank you.

ABW Ambassador
    Firstly, you are not listed in Yahoo as such. That description is from your Google listing and appears only on the web page results of Yahoo which are drawn directly from Google.

As Google uses a snippet approach to descriptions, you cannot get this changed. What you need to do is to have keyword rich, descriptive text at the top of your pages in order to accurately describe your site and - hopefully - rank better.

On a related note, you also need to get some proper hosting. Angelfire or whatever is just not good enough anymore, I'm afraid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Firstly, you are not listed in Yahoo as such. That description is from your Google listing and appears only on the web page results of Yahoo which are drawn directly from Google.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been seeing quite a few http://google.yahoo.com as the http referrer in logs - is that where they are coming from?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes that's the google feed to Yahoo.

Hi
    As others have said you will have to work on your keywords in you main description. It helps when people do a search for a product.

There has been a lot of debate about keywords and where they should be, also are they worth it etc etc.

Its worth looking back thru the forum and you will see the debates.

regards John

ABW Ambassador
    For google:

Keywords in PAGE TITLE most important.

Not debatable.

Once google lists the site, do they re-index or do i have to request resubmission. I have been workingon the title and also on the keywords, and measuring my progress through Inktomi ( I am using their paid submission service). Advice on how to get relisted in google, and thus yahoo?

Also, to markymark, I am using angelfire but paying to avoid the popups. I know there are other services that are better hosting sites, but so far angelfire has worked pretty well, and another site that I have under the same account (http://www.angelfire.com/music4/deejay55920) is doing fairly well traffic-wise. I do back up my angelfire site on a regualr basis to my pc using ws-ftp, so I am pretty well protected in that regard.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    dreu,

Have no fear, google will return. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I submitted to them once for my sites way back when they were first in beta and didn't even have any listings yet. Have never resubmitted and they always come back. They always picked up all my new pages.

I'll be so sad if some else gets google's feed to yahoo when the contracts up in a couple of months. Sure hope Yahoo picks quality over the bucks. Well, I can dream....

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: BestLittleFreeHouse ]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread