Alltheweb - 2,095,568,809 pages indexed.
    Google - 2,073,418,204 pages indexed.

How much does anyone know about Alltheweb? I don't seem to get much traffic from them (0.8% compared to 47% for Google) but they're apparantly making a big song and dance about having more pages than Google.

Hmmm.

ABW Ambassador
    No point writing a big thick book if nobody reads it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Well, they can strut all they want, but that won't overcome the fact that their index is stale and not very useful compared to Google.

Are they in talks with Yahoo? Seem to remember reading that somewhere...

Actually I was having a side-by-side look and they seem to have some recent stuff in it (more recent that Google).

It has to be said, Google doesn't manage to index everything. You can often track down elusive information on Alltheweb or Wisenut.

Don't get me wrong.. I like Google a lot, but it seems to have the market sewn up in terms of truly decent search engines. A bit of competition should keep 'em on their toes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I would suspect if they get a deal with Yahoo updates would be more frequent. What is the sense in updating often if nobody is looking?

ABW Ambassador
    Alltheweb may be on their way up....Over the past few days, I've heard media coverage on it, particular business features on news stations...at least here in DC, it's been that way.

ABW Ambassador
    Fast updates its paid inclusion pages every 24 hours, so it isn't that stale and I'm also told that it's foreign language search is far, far superior to what Google offers.

The fact is that Fast/Lycos in Europe is a major player...just because AlltheWeb doesn't get much traffic, doesn't mean that the database isn't important.

There are countries outside the USA, you know [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I agree that Fast is more attuned to the European sector. As for currency of paid inclusions, far fewer sites in the US sign up for it as compared with Inktomi. I still maintain that Fast is stale with regard to the US sector.

Should they become the Yahoo default, they'll have to try to make it at least as useful as Google. Why would Yahoo stand for anything less?

ABW Ambassador
    Well, if they become Yahoo's backup results, US webmasters will start to put their pages into paid inclusion and it will become immediately more up to date.

Personally, I think their algo is a little quirky and results for English language searches not as strong as either Google or Inktomi but I would be happy to see them partner with Yahoo. The more search engines with real pull, the better.

Keeps me in a job, you know [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

hehe The only reason google got so big was do to their yahoo partnership. Now they will part ways and I wonder which one the people will follow.

PS mark "There are countries outside the USA, you know"

There are not! That's just a rumor [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have to say, Fast's algo looks pretty good though. The results seem broadly similar to Google's and I get reasonable ranking.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread